CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 AM   #1
Scott Robertson

Profile:
Is there any differences between galvanized steel I would find in the plumbing section vs. electrical conduit vs. rails for fences.

It seems the steel in the plumbing section might have thicker walls (maybe its my imagination) but my home depot only carries very short lenghts which means I need to move to one of the other kinds.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Usually the conduit is thinner walled as it will not have to hold up to being pressurized. I would look at other sources if you need longer lengths or, brace the conduit at very short intervals.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Franklin Shogie

Profile:
home depot will cut a section of pipe for you.

I believe the longest nipple they carry in 1/2, 3/4 or 1 inch pipe is 12 inches.

2 12 inch long nipples coupled together will give you a pipe length of over 24 inch.

or use Ahmik's "Speedrail" system
Old 06-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
The home depot near me sells up to 10 foot sections of 1" schedule 40 pipe. I believe that they sell similar lengths of 1 1/4 inch pipe.

For my first home made pull-up bar I used a t and put together 2 18" peices of 1" pipe to make an approximately 38" wide pull-up bar after taking into accoun the length of the connector.

Your home depot may be able to special order longer lengths of pipe from another store.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
William Goldsmith

Profile:
If your using longer lengths of pipe, say between 7 and 10 feet, are you better off using Scheule 80 instead of Schedule 40 galvanized steel for the pullup bar or is it not worth it because the Schedule 40 is more than sufficient for the job?

Thanks.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 PM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Schedule 40 needs to be supported at the very least about every 5 feet. If you try to span 10 feet it will bend, permanently, with the weight of a person. I have found that supporting it about every 4 feet works well. I would recommend schedule 80 for longer spans.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
William Goldsmith

Profile:
Thanks Ahmik. If you are going to use a 10ft. long pole as a vertical support in a garage and have other pipe coming off it horizontally for your pullups and or dips (at different heights of course and off different walls) how do you best secure the vertical pipe on the bottom where it rests on the concrete floor? Would you add legs or a flange and screw it into a piece of wood that sits on the floor or would you connect the wood directly to the cement floor or something else?

Please forgive the longwinded nature of the question.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Charles Krug

Profile:
Look up Speedrail. They make fittings for precisely this sort of thing. More expensive then pipe fittings, but remember this is a one time expense.

I'd never rely on pipe threads in a dynamic shear (sideways) load, though in compression (Flange on the floor) they're probably okay if you also brace the top to minimize the amoung of shear stress on the flange.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
William Goldsmith

Profile:
Charles,

I was planning on using Speed-rail fittings for the installation. But, I was curious how to secure the vertical pipe on the bottom where it will meet the cement floor or to use legs of some sort?

Bill
Old 06-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
I would use a flange and attach it directly to the concrete floor. Drilling in concrete is difficult. It is best if you know someone with a hammer drill, but it can be done with a standard drill if you have masonry bits and a lot of patience. Some stores rent equipment like hammer drills. After you drill the hole you need to use a concrete anchor. The best seem to be the ones that spread out while you tighten them. It is also a good idea to add an adhesive designed for concrete anchors to the hole to ensure a solid connection. The forces placed on a pull-up bar while kipping are enormous. No matter how strong you think you make you aparatus, there will be movement, so I would always err on the side of overengineering.