CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Shawn Bailey

Profile:
Just curious if this is a decent bar for the money. I'm mainly looking for something that's durable more than anything. I only have metal plates, but if/when I do drop the barbell it's on 3/4" stall mats sitting on top of 3/4" plywood. I just want something that will hold up and isn't that expensive.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Shawn,

There is nothing really wrong with the BFS bar, but I would spend the extra $60 for Pendlay's CrossFit bar.

The CrossFit bar is designed for olympic as well as power lifting movements. The bar above as well as the more expensive bars from BFS are mainly designed for power lifting movements. The spin is not as nice as the CrossFit bar and there is not nearly as much whip. The knurling is also much coarser than most people who have used nice bars care for.

The CrossFit bars have snap rings to hold the collars on and are designed to be dropped (With bumper plates. No bar will hold up to being dropped with metal plates for ever). It has knurling like that of a $600-$900 competition bar for $159. (It is much more time consuming and expensive to make a bar with fine knurling)The collars also spin very well. For most novice olympic lifter (Me and most other CrossFitters) you will not be able to tell the difference between the CrossFit bar and a certified competion bar and will never outgrow it. Glenn Pendlay did an amazing job of getting the most important parts of the bar right while still making it affordable.

I have used the CrossFit bar extensively, and I like it much, much more than even the Pro-Elite $259 bar from BFS, which we have a work.

The bottom line is you can power lift with an weightlifting bar, but you can really tell the difference if you try to weightlift with a power lifting bar. The CrossFit bar is the only affordable weightlifting bar on the market and will serve you much better than the BFS standard bar.

The CrossFit bar is available at Glenn Pendlay's site here: (WFS)

http://store.wfwclub.com/crossfitbar.html

(Message edited by ahmik on May 26, 2007)
Old 05-26-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Stuart Smith

Profile:
I think a lot of people would back you up there Ahmik.

Glenn is very helpful Shawn, very approachable. So I'd at least have a chat with him. His bars come highly recommended. You can also talk with Ahmik, he has been very helpful to me and has a good variety of equipment on offer.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
Shawn Bailey

Profile:
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't realize there was a significant difference between the two bars. Sounds like the Crossfit bar is the way to go, more bang for the buck.