CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-22-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Leslie Algera

Profile:  
Hello all,

I'm new to the boards -- I have been attempting Crossfit workouts for the past few months. I have decided to jump in full-force after a fun filled intro to Crossfit class I took over the weekend.

I'm hoping to clean up my diet (no more Ben & Jerry's), improve my olympic lifts and reach some personal goals (like being able to do unassisted pull ups and dips!) and hopefully lower my body fat over the course of the journey.

Wish me luck!
Old 05-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Leslie;

Welcome aboard.
Great group of people, great place to get strong.

Jay
Old 05-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Welcome Leslie! You're already looking strong and into it! That's awesome! You'll find the website and message board filled with all kinds of great and amazing info. Ask any question any time!

There are lots of women in CrossFit getting fit and strong and they are all out there rooting for you.

Take a look at the upcoming seminar info on introducing women to CrossFit. There's a thread on it under the Community posts on the message board, and you can also see it via: http://rwe.typepad.com/real_women_crossfit/

Would love to see you there if you wanted to take a trip out to California!

Good luck! Get some!

Old 05-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
good luck and welcome!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Having just finished my Mocha Moo Latte from Dairy Queen (they should make those things a food group) which furthers my certainty that this is what the nectar of the god's tastes like, allow me to soften the notion of NO more Ben and Jerry's to No more TUBs of B&J after each meal. Don't deprive yourself Leslie, just ease back a bit and chip away bit by bit at how much of that kind of stuff you eat to lower your cravings. Go cold turkey and you are going to crave things. Get a poster sized photo of Nicole or Eva or Annie and measure what you want to do with your fitness against what it takes to get there. The price of fitness is not cheap but the entry fee is free. Just get started, do the WOD, learn the movements, get on the Zone and as success comes and you start to see that your abs are more Nicole-like you will be willing to pay that higher price of a more strict Zone diet, higher intensity workouts and less Ben and Jerry's.

Coming to this board was a huge first step and there is much to learn here from people who have had incredible success with CrossFit and who can't wait to pass on tips to you. This is not a zero-sum game here where anyone thinks that if you get better somebody else gets worse. You improve and we all improve. We are like a gigantic organism, like the Borg...we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Thank you for joining the collective and making us better.

Your picture is a bit small to tell but it looks like you've got quite a set of guns there. Your gains will come quickly and you will like this the more you do it. Read, study, learn but most important...do. Get some as Lisa points out and keep in touch with your progress.

Welcome aboard.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:00 AM   #6
Justin Algera

Profile:
I just have to give a big welcome and hello. I have to give her all the props in the world just knowing where she came from, and where she is now...And next to marrying me, finally coming aboard and doing crossfit with me is the best desicion she has made :proud: ...
Old 05-23-2006, 08:48 AM   #7
Brian Nesmith

Profile:
It's always great to see another husband/wife combo on the board. We need more kids here though! Welcome.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:
My wife just started to do unassisted pullups, she is quite happy...you can do it!

We have been zone dieting for months now. We have replaced most of our wheat/potato/rice consumption with fruits/veggies. I agree that an occasional pint/quart of ice cream is no foul...well at least if you spread it across a few sittings.

Welcome!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:29 PM   #9
Leslie Algera

Profile:  
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and for all of the well wishes from everyone (especially the guns comment from Eugene)! I'm headed to the gym after work for "Michael" -- I can't wait to get there.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
Skip Chase

Profile:
Husband and wife together......your percentages for success just sky-rocketed!!!!! You will enjoy a fit and healthy life, setting the example to those around you. Blessings!!!

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com