CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-14-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Jerry Hill

Profile:
I would love to buy a van to store all of the toy's I use in my Camp. Dumbbells, Kettlebells, Slammers and so on.

Right now I haul them in and out of the trunk of my family car to the cellar.

Here is the Kicker, the equipment has to be out of vision or locked in a High security box. I live in Philly and it will be gone in a heartbeat.

I am not a car/van/truck guy - I have no idea where to start looking.

The sky is the limit, if ya got some big ideas please bring em'!

Thanks!
-Jerry
Old 07-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Skip Chase

Profile:
Not many options, Jerry..when I was still training clients in their home, I purchased a Dodge van. I'm not a 'van' guy either, but....it was the most inexpensive choice. It already had darkened windows and I put signage on the glass so it made for a nice rolling billboard.

A small sign reading, "Caution-snake inside' keeps a lot of 'vermine' away.

By the way, nice web site. The pics remind me of my childhood...I was born in Reading and most of my family is from the Philly area.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
Clay Jones

Profile:

The new Dodge Sprinter looks like a good van--lots of plumbers in my area use them.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #4
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Something differnt might be to purchase a trailer and then hook it up to any vehicle. The track club I coach with bought one this summer, because of a change in leadership. In the end, it was for the better, because we built boxes and racks for storage, and the thing can be dropped whereever we need it.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
John Vernon

Profile:
See if there are any auctions going on in the area and research if you can get a F250-F350 utility truck from your state/local energy company. They've got lock boxes all over the bed area and over the sides. Then throw a gang box into the bed. I've had a couple contractor friends do that, I think they use Greenleaf gangboxes, REALLY secure & tons of storage. Might even be easier to get gear in an out of a truck than a van.

Now, seeing how sky is the limit you want to look absouloutely bad-***. Paint it Black throw some Black wheels on there, trick out the exhaust (for flames and noise), paint some skulls or fangs in the front fenders, tint the windows, get the Banks Turbo Diesel package. I like Skips "snakes inside" sticker that's a good idea except it's already been done. So you are going to want something like, "Beware: Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads inside!" that'll scare the bejeezus out any would-be equipment thieving bastards.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide on.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Too funny! I knew I'd get some good ideas along with some off the wall ones!

Thanks for the tips guy's - I like the trailer idea and will keep it in mind if I move to the burb's.

Skip, thanks for the kudo's on the website...we are making a difference here in Philly! If you get back to town to visit family let me know - We can head over and visit Jason and Pam at CF Philly.

Oh and there is a sweet looking Ford-Harley Davidson package F-350 on the market...It's on the top of my list for now!
Old 07-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #7
Clay Jones

Profile:

Jerry, I saw that F350 at a car show last week, it is one nice looking ride (though the wheel wells are so huge you would need some Bling 24" rims to make the truck look right :biggrin: ).
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Pierre Auge

Profile:
I'm actually pulling a 12ft trailer with my 5spd diesel jetta right now! I can put about 1000-1500lbs in the trailer before the car even notices I'm hauling a load. Its all I've got but it works wonders!