CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 07-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
David Paton

Profile:
I've been doing CrossFit religously the past 4 months. I love it and my strength has gone up considerable in a lot of the exercises. However, yesterday I took my Air Force PT test...just for those who don't know it's max pushups in 60 seconds, max crunches (not situps) in 60 seconds and a 1.5 mile run.

To my disappointment, a did significantly worse this year than last year. Last year I trained specifically for the pushups, crunches and run. Last years pushups were 80, crunches 60 and run in 9:24. This year was 60 pushups, 49 crunches and run in 9:35 ( i almost died on the run). Does anyone have any thoughts on why I might have scored significantly worse this year. I was kind of disappointed that all of my hard work in CrossFit didn't crossover to my PT test. Thanks.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

Some people do better on PT tests just doing Crossfit, some don't. You seem to require specialized training, so gradually start adding some pushups, crunches, and middle distance running to your workout schedule.

Crossfit is very generalized training. To get really good at one thing, or group of things, you need to focus on them through specific training.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
You probably need to focus on the individual events about 2-3 weeks out from your PT test. I always suck at situps, and despite doing lots of core exercises with CF, I still need to focus on doing strict situps. You might want to try giving yourself a PT test more often to see if you are improving or what you need to improve on. That being said, a PT test does not define how you will function under combat stress, but CF helps you to get ready should that event ever occur.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
George Brothers

Profile:
as former air force ('91-'96) i am pleased to see that branch finally come up with something more than a run or an ergometer test for pft. though the crunches are suspect. that said, it has been covered well in the past (and probably in the future) that most pft are in place to ensure a basic level of fitness that a member should have. you successfully proved that (and btw 9:35 for 1.5 is pretty good regardless). if you want to blow this out of the water next year then train specifically for it leading up to it. otherwise, rest assured that if you continue to do crossfit over the next year you will be fitter than you are today. also if you do the crossfit warmup, you should be incorporating at least pushups in this. lastly, and not to put you on the spot, but you took the test a year ago, have been doing xfit for 4 months. what was your training like for the preceding 8 months? also i found that xfit is a cumulative effect over time. when i started i noted several months later that there were some movements that i used to do frequently that i was not as strong as before, while the new movements i was improving in. finally, crossfit is not just the wod and eating the zone. if you go to different affiliate sites or read what others on this site have done, you will find that xfit lends itself to personalization which means that you can do xfit style workouts that could focus on elements of the pft. good luck.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Actually, the Air Force PT test requires situps, although they call them crunches. Feet on the floor and anchored = situps. Feet up off the floor (held in midair, or laid over a bench, etc.) = crunches. The ROM of the situp is much greater (shoulderblades touching floor to elbows touching knees) than that of the crunch.

Lynne, 20 yrs USAF (so far)
Old 07-24-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
David Paton

Profile:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Seems like pushups and situps may be a more of a "greasing the groove" thing.

Lynne,

I guess I was comparing Air Force situps to Army situps.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Dave, noted - the AF version is definitely shorter than the Army ones. I just find it silly that they call 'em crunches, but they're clearly situps. Short little situps, but still...:wink:

In any case, GTG is a great approach.