CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
Kevin Scott

Profile:
Any crossfitters tried the bioforce assessment?

Hey guys I was wondering if any of the more experienced crossfit people have tried Joel Jaimesons' Bioforce assessment http://www.bioforcetraining.com/selfassessment (work safe).

It is supposed to be for MMA athletes to see how their programming is stacking up. Joel I believe is very against crossfit and doesn't seem to think anyone will be able to score the same numbers as his athletes. If you score an 8-10 in each category you are on the same level as his mma athletes. Funny thing is I stopped doing crossfit to try out his methods and scored lower than when I was following 3 crossfit metcons and a little strength work per week. Either way I scored mostly 6 & 7's. I'd love to hear how you all rank.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Matt Corley

Profile:
Re: Any crossfitters tried the bioforce assessment?

I averaged 5.5 with aerobic fitness being my best (6.5). Which is odd because I've been doing strictly weight training until very recently and I most certainly am not in that good of cardio shape.

I'd be interested to see how the ratings came from what I typed in.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Kevin Scott

Profile:

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Not sure if it is accurate or not. I know this Joel guy has some good concepts, but is against most high intensity circuit type stuff. So not a fan of crossfit or ross enamit. Also saw on a forum their that they dislike charles poliquin and think he is a quack.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Scott View Post
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Not sure if it is accurate or not. I know this Joel guy has some good concepts, but is against most high intensity circuit type stuff. So not a fan of crossfit or ross enamit. Also saw on a forum their that they dislike charles poliquin and think he is a quack.
You sound like you're trying to stir up a Joel bashing session here.

Joel has made a point of not criticizing Ross Enamait. He doesn't agree with Ross' stuff, but he doesn't criticize him over the internet. I also wouldn't generalize that Joel is against circuits.

Joel explains the science behind all his methods, and many people have had great results from them. He also is able to track improvements and training stress through the OmegaWave.

If you have any questions about his methods and/or why they didn't seem to work as well as CrossFit for you, I'd be glad to help.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Kevin Scott

Profile:

not trying to bash him at all. Just stating things from his forum. He does not seem to be a huge fan of HIIT training and there is a thread on his forum now referring to charles poliquin as a quack. Anyway I actually purchased joels book looking for more information on training. So far it seems like a good read. I'll have to see about integrating it. I am still unsure whether I am on board with his stuff as I am more in the strength and HIIT camp. When I was at peak condition 4 months ago for a tournament using more crossfit concepts I was acing most of his bioforce and overall was just under an 8. On the other hand I can see where he is coming from when saying there is a need to balance all training because I am severally overtrained and still paying for it now as I try to recover. 20+ hours of bjj per week and 3 conditioning sessions definitely takes a toll.

My main question is how are crossfitters comparing using crossfit methods on joels tests. This isn't to bash joel or his ideas. I'm sure he gets good results. I just want to know if high intensity style training such as crossfit is also producing the same results.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I do my own programming. I came up with my results being 7-8 for most, and 6.5 for aerobic fitness (which is definitely something I neglect). I've begun to use more LSD training and roadwork of other varieties (including 800m intervals). It's been going good for me so far.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

I got a 6.0
Old 05-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Scott View Post
..... there is a thread on his forum now referring to charles poliquin as a quack.
Someone needs to take a look in the mirror. Poliquin has coached Olympic medalists in 12 different sports and countless other pro athletes, IMNSHO he is the best strength and conditioning coach in the world and anyone who calls him a "quack" is either jealous, or straight up stupid about the fitness world.

Now Jay Schroeder, THAT guy is a quack.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Someone needs to take a look in the mirror. Poliquin has coached Olympic medalists in 12 different sports and countless other pro athletes, IMNSHO he is the best strength and conditioning coach in the world and anyone who calls him a "quack" is either jealous, or straight up stupid about the fitness world.

Now Jay Schroeder, THAT guy is a quack.
I don't think coaching Olympic medalists means you're a good strength and conditioning coach. There are a lot of high level coaches who disagree with Poliquin. Many great coaches aren't all over the internet and just do their thing quietly.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
I don't think coaching Olympic medalists means you're a good strength and conditioning coach. There are a lot of high level coaches who disagree with Poliquin. Many great coaches aren't all over the internet and just do their thing quietly.
No doubt that there are TONS of great coaches out there. He just happens to have a great resume of clients that back his stuff up.