CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-01-2010, 09:02 AM   #21
Jean-Philippe Page

Profile:
Re: Paleo Results Converted Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Bailey View Post
I think he's suggesting you can make it yourself if you are concerned about the added ingredients. Almonds (or almond flour or even almond butter) + water + blender + strainer = Almond Milk.

I haven't done it, so I don't know how much it yields. But it would probably be a good option if you are not consuming a lot every day.
Exactly, I make my own every once in awhile. 1 cup whole almonds, 3 to 4 cups water, a few dates (4 to 8 depending on how sweet you want it), and some vanilla extract (I've substituted with powdered cocoa a few times to make some excellent dark chocolate milk). Mix everything in a blender for a little bit and then run through a fine strainer. I usually use the leftover almond mush (as my gf and I like to call it) in our morning smoothies or over some frozen berries with either coconut or almond milk as a dessert.

I've had a few people that didn't like store bought almond milk try my stuff and they loved it! Every single one of them has asked me for the recipe.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Congrats on the weight loss Aaron and to your continued success. Care to share a sample of your daily diet? I'm always looking for meal ideas
Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #23
Aaron Sweeney

Profile:

Carlos

Here is what I had yesterday

10.0 Almonds, Dry Roasted, No Salt Added
1.5 Cups EGG BEATERS Egg Whites (Ran out of regular Omega 3ís)
1.0 Tbsp Half and Half Cream
2.0 Slices Ham
3 tbsp Tabasco
0.5 Serving Organic Almond Milk (in my coffee)

Protein 47.4 g
Carbs 16.1 g
Fat 13.2 g
Calories 384.5

10.0 Almonds, Dry Roasted, No Salt Added
0.5 Cup Avocado
5.0 Ounces Chicken Breast, Meat Only, Roasted
5.0 Cups Lettuce, Romaine, Shredded
0.5 Cup Organic/Gluten Free Salsa (Costco of all places)
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp Tabasco
Used Cusinart hand Mixer to blend the avocado and into an thick salad dressing with lime juice and Tabasco added in. Was really good.

Protein 51.0 g
Carbs 39.6 g
Fat 23.8 g
Calories 568.3

Ate a late lunch and was so full from it that I just ended up just having some almonds, half an apple and some ginger tea for a late dinner. Ended day around 1200 calories. Did a 3 mile jog in the morning and at lunch did a metcon of five 1000m C2 rower segments with one of the following slipped in between each segment 50 pushups/50 KB swings-45lbs/50 standing presses-75lbs/50 situps/50 box jumps. No idea on time just went as hard as I could. Burned almost 3900 calories for the whole day according to the Bodybugg that I wear. Which is pretty accurate and a fun tool to use.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

If thats all you ate, you are starving yourself and your weight loss will probably include loss of muscle not just fat. You should be eating at least double that amount. Unless you are practicing intermitten fasting here, you will hit a wall with either performance or weightloss (or both) and then start seeing movement back in the opposite direction.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #25
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Are you trying to starve yourself? I know you want to lose some more weight, but 1200 calories is just silly. Losing any more than about 2lbs per week is a good way to get unhealthy and miserable in a hurry. That's just not nearly enough calories for recovery and progress in the gym.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #26
Aaron Sweeney

Profile:

Eric

That was a weird day for me due to the timing of my eating due to work meetings and such. Ate lunch real late and (was big too) and was just not hungry enough to eat anything else substantial in the day. Did end up kinda using it as an IF day.

Unless I am underestimating (I more eyball than religiously measure), I am typically much closer to 1,700 to 1,800 per day, but I still feel like I have to force myself to eat in some cases to hit that number. I eat until I am full (not stuffed) and my energy is through the roof and both stamina and weights used continue to go up.

If I was new to weightlifiting and working out I would say I am only making strength gains because I had no previous exposure. But I have a powerlifting type of background and even when I was fatter and out of shape, could move some pretty heavy iron as I never stopped lifting.

One thing to consider is that I have a pretty sedentary job (Project Manager in an office) so I sit for hours at a time 10 to 12 hours per day. I get up and walk stairs and such as much as possible, but pretty much inactive for 5 of the 7 days per week (other than my daily workouts). My caloric needs and hunger pangs are definitely tempered by this. I am going to get to a point here I can't lose anymore weight (25-35 more lbs) will definitely have to bump up the intake then. Thx for the advice.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
Tim Coyle

Profile:

Great job Aaron, welcome to our Paleo world.