CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:
running for the obese beginner

In an attempt to add some cardio I am thinking to start walking the mile to get to the gym in town when I go there. When I had tried running earlier, a total of 1 km running, as intervals with walking, especially with a 100 m sprint at the end let to a state of knee pain that was more than sore but not quite bad enough of an injury to go to the GP - and the sports med doctor was a month waiting list.

Would doing some small amount of running while walking to and from the gym help to prepare my joints for running stress? I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 50 m runs during each leg of the journey. I'm a toe-striker and will likely be wearing Chucks. Or is it best for me to just rein things in for now and limit myself to just walking until I lose more weight?

Right now I'm 292 lbs and 36% body fat. Male, 6'0" tall. Back in high school (I'm 36 now) I ran cross-country and distance events (800 m, mile and 2 mile) in track.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: running for the obese beginner

If it were me, I'd focus on diet and in-gym performance for a while. Let that build your strength up and bring your weight down until the running is more manageable. Maybe go for a light jog every week or two just to test how things are coming along.

How often are you working out? In my experience, a few days of Crossfit WODs per week is plenty of "cardio." More is not necessarily better.

- Mark
Old 09-23-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Tim Crawford

Profile:

I'd just walk it....everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
John Stone

Profile:

I agree with Mark - listen to your body. Walking to your gym is a good way to get warmed up on the way to your workout, as well as burning a little extra fat.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Ted Apollo

Profile:

here's my advice as another big dude: you can run.

the key is to build up your support muslces. i find the first month of getting back into running is more about conditioning my legs then hitting my cardio. i tend to get compartment syndrome (shin splints) so i try to thoroughly warm up my legs before going on run.

what i would recommend is to dedicate a workout to running & not just running on your way to the gym. get your whole body warmed up: situps, squats, etc... then i would focus on interval work. tabata runs (20 seconds on, 10 seconds off for 8 rounds) ladder runs (10on/10off, 20on/10off, 30on/10off, etc... up until 60 seconds & then some back down to 10 seconds.) check out crossfit endurance http://www.crossfitendurance.com/ WFS for programming ideas.

some additional work that will really help is running barefoot on grass, running hill repeats, and riding a bike. (bike riding is a great way to condition the legs for running)
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Ted mentioned it but I was just gonna ask, what kind of shoes do you wear when you try to run? Traditional "running shoes" (that is, with lots of cushioning, Nike Shox style) leave me with shin splints and awful feeling legs. VFF on pavement might bother you though, try pumas or something with just a little cushion.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Waldeck View Post
Ted mentioned it but I was just gonna ask, what kind of shoes do you wear when you try to run? Traditional "running shoes" (that is, with lots of cushioning, Nike Shox style) leave me with shin splints and awful feeling legs. VFF on pavement might bother you though, try pumas or something with just a little cushion.
Shox aren't made for running, they should hurt anyone who runs in them.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Shox aren't made for running, they should hurt anyone who runs in them.
Haha I know. I haven't use regular shoes like that in awhile.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
Ted Apollo

Profile:

agreed about the running shoes aka running boots. i have tried a bunch of different shoes & i really like my asiacs. the key for them to be comfortable is to leave them really loosely tied. this gives my foot enough room to roll naturally while i run.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #10
Charles White

Profile:

When I got fat, running and even distance walking hurt my knees something awful. What I did then was rowing, erg and on the water. Later, CF and paleo have brought my weight down. Add to that Pose technique and I'm starting to run again without knee pain.

Of course, I can't tell you that this is what you should do because it worked for me; it's just my own meandering path. The decreased knee shock of less weight and better technique is what allowed me to run, though.

Good luck!

Ciao,

Charles