CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:
Re: training push-up endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wheeler View Post
Given that he's asking about a specific time limit (2 min) and wants to hit 60, I'm going to infer he is trying to join the military. In which case more reps of the easier movements (PU, SU) is precisely what he needs.
You infer correctly.

Thank you for all of the advice.

I took my dog to the vet today. They have a large platform scale there. After a tech came to take my dog to the back, the receptionist person was kind enough to let me get into push-up position with my hands on the scale. In the up position, I was at 181 lbs out of 292 lb body weight. Comparing this to my bench press history (here, so WFS) puts my push-up weight firmly into my strength training weight.

My current plan is to use hands-higher-than ground push-ups for higher reps during body-weight exercising, continue building strength with the bench press and do random sets of 1 or 2 shy of failure hands-on-ground push-ups at home (currently about 5 reps).

Again, thanks for the advice and suggestions, progress is and will continue to happen.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #22
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Just had a thought. Right now I'm 292 lbs and 36% fat. I want to achieve under 24% fat. That means I want to lose 12% of my current body weight which works out to be a target weight (ignoring muscle gain) of 257 lbs. The current weight supported by my hands in the up position of a push-up is 181 lbs. This ratio (181/292) is 62%. 62% of 257 lbs is 160 lbs.

This leads me to conclude that at my target body composition, I'll be pressing 160 lbs when I do a push-up. So, what I can do is to start adding maximum reps of 160 lb bench pressing as a measure of push-up endurance improvement based on where I want my body composition to be.

Do these calculations seem reasonable?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:42 AM   #23
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

I say forget about the calculations. Get your diet dialed in, the extra fat will come off, you will weigh less and your push-up numbers will go up.

As far as your "under 24% BF" goal, is that your initial goal or will you be content when you reach that number?

A good friend of mine started at about 290, went strict Paleo and is now right around 195, and can bang out push-ups like nobody's business.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #24
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

The 24% is an initial goal. I'll be content under 20% - meaning body fat will cease to be one of my primary measures of improvement. Having said this, I may need to go below 20% for my belly to not be in the way of doing a proper APFT sit-up.

From solely dietary changes I have lost 20 lbs from April to June. I'm limiting my processed carbohydrates, increasing my fresh produce and un-processed meats and just trying to eat less overall. When SS arrives I'll probably not be doing the program as written due to fat loss being a higher priority than strength gain.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #25
Derek McIntyre

Profile:

yeah when I took the pst it was the strict chest to deck, arms fully extended at top pushup....