CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #91
Ian Peek

Profile:
Re: Military says You’re Too Flabby For CrossFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Higgins View Post
Troy & Ian

The naming of WOD's and their non-PCness has nothing to do with the efficacy of the methodology.
Absolutely. However, this is highly dependent on the approving / reviewing personnel. Most intelligent folks realize this is exactly true, however, if someone takes offense, the non-PC nature will be an issue. I'm just thinking of my POSH training (DON civilian) & how it would go over.

Funding - I agree with some fitness centers - Bolling AFB in DC is a decent example of a great facility that changed in about a year, and it certainly is possible. As a generality, funding is very tight, and requests to replace existing fitness facilities (that already work) is tough - not impossible, just tough.

ian
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #92
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Absolutely. However, this is highly dependent on the approving / reviewing personnel. Most intelligent folks realize this is exactly true, however, if someone takes offense, the non-PC nature will be an issue. I'm just thinking of my POSH training (DON civilian) & how it would go over.

Funding - I agree with some fitness centers - Bolling AFB in DC is a decent example of a great facility that changed in about a year, and it certainly is possible. As a generality, funding is very tight, and requests to replace existing fitness facilities (that already work) is tough - not impossible, just tough.

ian
Depending on the base it can be tough. At NAVSTA Mayport I saw Kettlebells at the gym, but you had to ask for them at the front desk. That was in 2008.

Where I'm stationed at now in Fort Irwin we have some Oly Lift space, kettlebells, and a lot of free weights, but a lot of machines for the machine/globo crowd. It's a nice compromise.

When I went through training at FT Leonardwood we had a great CrossFit facility there, run by my former battalion commander's wife.

So it does depend on the installation and the fitness climate of the brass.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:14 PM   #93
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
Depending on the base it can be tough. At NAVSTA Mayport I saw Kettlebells at the gym, but you had to ask for them at the front desk. That was in 2008.

Where I'm stationed at now in Fort Irwin we have some Oly Lift space, kettlebells, and a lot of free weights, but a lot of machines for the machine/globo crowd. It's a nice compromise.

When I went through training at FT Leonardwood we had a great CrossFit facility there, run by my former battalion commander's wife.

So it does depend on the installation and the fitness climate of the brass.
Mayport has KBs? Cool, I won't have to schlep them down this Turkey Day. Mayport also has the ladder thing on the wall you can simulate rope climbs with and the...ahem...rope climb machine.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #94
Joseph E. Morris

Profile:

The rope climb machine might not be a bad thing, though. Obviously we all prefer "organic" workouts, haha, but I think the machine eliminates some of the safety hazards which typically make the military so gun-shy about incorporating climbing ropes into physical training.

At Pendleton, we have a variety of functional-ish toys: full set of kettlebells, oly platform, power rack, several flat benches, full dumbell sets, heavy bag, TRX, various Lifeline USA toys. The Mainside gym also has a giant rack thing with ropes coiled around it. I think it might be for climbing them, but they're only seven or eight feet off the ground. The rack has four sides, with space to set up rings, some climbing-type monkey bars, etc.

Of course, none of the fitness center personnel know anything about this stuff, the gym is polluted with ellipticals and Smith machines, and the old chief trainer at one of the gyms said CF had a problem because it "only works one or two bodyparts per session."
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #95
Rob St. Croix

Profile:

The main gym on Cherry Point now has a couple sets of 10, 25, and 45lb High-Temp bumpers and varrious sized KB. It makes me crazy though to see people pulling benches and stuff over into that area to do non OLY lifts. I had a guy standing right infront of me while doing Clean & Jerks. I told him that he is in a bad spot if I need to bail. He looked surprised and moved.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #96
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Mayport has KBs? Cool, I won't have to schlep them down this Turkey Day. Mayport also has the ladder thing on the wall you can simulate rope climbs with and the...ahem...rope climb machine.
That's affirmative. And when I was there in 2006-2008 I do recall having seen the rope climb machine and the ladder thing. I never used it, however, as I prefer actual ladder or rope climb vice simulations thereof.

There is also a CrossFit facility IVO Mayport Road (wfs) too. One of my instructors from SAR School is an instructor at that facility.

Last edited by Carl Amolat : 09-22-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #97
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Amolat View Post
That's affirmative. And when I was there in 2006-2008 I do recall having seen the rope climb machine and the ladder thing. I never used it, however, as I prefer actual ladder or rope climb vice simulations thereof.

There is also a CrossFit facility IVO Mayport Road (wfs) too. One of my instructors from SAR School is an instructor at that facility.

Small world. I was stationed with Chris Russell, also an instructor there. We were at SBU 20 together. We also both used to study at Global Martial Arts together, but his abilities there so far exceeded mine that it was like we were doing different things in the same place.

PS The NS Mayport gym is a lot nicer than when I was there from 1989-1997
Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #98
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
Small world. I was stationed with Chris Russell, also an instructor there. We were at SBU 20 together. We also both used to study at Global Martial Arts together, but his abilities there so far exceeded mine that it was like we were doing different things in the same place.

PS The NS Mayport gym is a lot nicer than when I was there from 1989-1997
Chris Russell was one of our instructors when I went through back in 2008. I didn't make it through the course but the ethos 'So Others May Live' stayed with me throughout my subsequent GSA Tour in Iraq and is still a motivating phrase in my present Army career.

I believe you on the NS Mayport Gym being nicer. It's gotten even better from what some have told me in recent years.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #99
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Higgins View Post
Troy & Ian

The naming of WOD's and their non-PCness has nothing to do with the efficacy of the methodology.
No, but it has everything to do with the lameness of the brass. It's embarrassing what our military's leadership has become.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
You know, instead of talking **** on the internet, how about you enlist and show everyone who actually has been there and done that exactly how it should be done?

Guy with balls like yours, shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Gowens View Post
God I love civilians.

See, here's what happens when your information is totally tertiary, and you have NOTHING on which to base your assumption other than what you hear and read from someone else.
And you know what?
You won't hear from the people who don't have something to ***** about - because they're busy doing their jobs and making sure that your right to run off at the mouth about topics you're not educated on is protected.
Everyone in the service seems to be against me here, but I'm not bashing you guys. I'm bashing the policy makers. I don't serve for a number of reasons- impracticality due to my family situation, detest at who my commander and chief would have been or would be, and this little problem called type 1 diabetes.

None of that discounts what the brass is doing, and what I hear from my numerous friends and family members in the military, all of whom have the same perspective and same kinds of stories. And that's not counting the selling out of the soldiers on the ground with all these show trials we've been seeing lately.

Then there are more national stories- I'm trying to avoid politics because it's in the rules, but in the WWII era, the Ft. Hood shootings would probably not have gone down like they did. A guy like the shooter would have been identified when he gave speeches about his religion the way he did. The people being shot would not have been unarmed, as is now the rule brought about during the era of a certain peanut farming president. I won't breach the gender norming trend...

But while the female thing is up, I don't care if a woman is a soldier, I have two female cousins in the marines and we're all proud of them. I have a problem with all the ing that female sailors do just to try and get pregnant to get off of the ship, for example. Call it tertiary or whatever you want, it happens a lot.

Good God, people, I'm not against you in any way. I'm a citizen who gives a about this great country's military, and doesn't always like what he sees at the top. I'm allowed to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Troy are you active? Have you ever served? Have you ever been on a ship? Have you ever worked with a female Sailor? If the answer to these questions is no, kindly pipe down. Or join and fix it. This stuff is ALL BS.

Your buddy the BUD/S quitter is a fail too, if he exists.
You've never been injured before?

I like your idea of joining it and fixing it though- I can enlist tomorrow, do boot camp for however long it is, then set out to work reforming the entire military? A modern day Lycurgus, Seaman Becker? Seems a little unlikely to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Negrotto View Post
I kind of feel that way about Americans as a whole, especially ones who seem to be so opinionated about the military and have never served. During WWII, there were lines down the street outside recruiting offices, even stories of people killing themselves when they were told they couldn't join for one reason or another. The problem is people now are not held accountable for what they say, free to voice their opinion without repercussions. Due to the saturation of our country with people just like that, of course, in some aspects it has bled into the military as well.
Exactly, dude, exactly.

Last edited by Troy Becker : 09-22-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #100
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

To all of you who are serving or have served, thank you.

In AIT, would it be possible to adapt CF WODs to use equipment that is already on hand? For example, could soldiers in Infantry AIT use 60 mm or 81 mm mortar baseplates for clean and pressing? Maybe do squats with an M-2 barrel for 19 series soldiers?