CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:
training push-up endurance

My second fitness goal is to increase my push-up endurance. (My first is to be able to do an unassisted pull-up.) I want to be able to do 60 continuous push-ups in two minutes. Right now I can do 7 - 10 continuous push-ups from the ground before needing to rest (whether in the up position, the "ground supported chest" position or the "move on to the next exercise and come back for more push-ups later" position).

My knees are sore most of the time (especially after deadlifting, squatting or running) and I'm nervous about using my knees as a load bearing object on the ground. I am working on building some chest strength with the bench press. My 1 RM on the bench is now 225 lb. My body weight is 292 - 294 lb.

Also, I have an extra bone in my left wrist. For a long time I have done push-ups with my wrist in the air and the balls of my fingers and my thumb stretched rearward as a support posture. I've recently been stretching my left wrist and can now do traditional support push-ups. My left wrist still is usually 5 or ten degrees less of an angle between top of hand and top of forearm than the right wrist when I do push-ups though.

Should I start doing, say, 5 push-ups from the ground and then switch to a raised platform for my hands? Should I just go back to the platform entirely for endurance training and let the strength build a bit more before training off-the-ground push-up endurance?

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Daniel Kunz

Profile:
Re: training push-up endurance

When I was younger I could crank out a hundred at a time but now I'm not sure if I could hit fifty. I haven't done it but you can try this program:

http://hundredpushups.com/ (wfs)
Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Chris Everts

Profile:

Weight loss and increases in strength, work capacity, endurance, etc. that you'll get from crossfit will improve your push up count more than solely doing push ups every day. Doing push ups as a finisher or as a warm up will help, but be sure not to do them before an upper body pressing WOD, maybe as a finisher.

And don't be afraid to do them from your knees, you won't hurt anything but your pride for doing girl push ups just kidding
Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Just start banging out pushups at set times during the day (set the times i would suggest right before meal times but whatever works for you) Start with 2-5 over a totally reachable goal. For you start with 12-15 pushups 5 times per day and increase 2-5 every week, your numbers will climb consistantly.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Jacob Markowitz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Kunz View Post
When I was younger I could crank out a hundred at a time but now I'm not sure if I could hit fifty. I haven't done it but you can try this program:

http://hundredpushups.com/ (wfs)
I tried this for a couple weeks actually. I found that it was wildly optimistic. I suppose there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it, but it'll be more like the "100 pushups in 12-20 weeks" program than the "100 pushups in 6 weeks program", unless you have a lot better luck than me.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

I'm of the big volume school of thought.

The best way to do more pushups is...do a lot of pushups.

I did 91 on my last run through of a PFT.

For instance, it was suggested to me by a good buddy, who has been there and done that, to do a workout which went:

25m swim (1 length)
25 pushups

40 rounds haha

1000 pushups and 1000m swim.

That's a little extreme, but you see my point.

Grease the groove.

You'll be sore, but that never hurt anyone. Obviously don't try 1000 pushups off the bat (that will probably hurt you), but start somewhere. 5 on the min for 30 min. Even if you have to go to your knees...don't quit. 10 on the hour for 12 hours. 10 sec on 50 off intervals for 10 rounds. Fewest sets possible to 75.

Start somewhere and work work work. You'll get it, and your numbers will increase.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
Chris Hede

Profile:

I've always been really solid with pushups, but I just bought a set of rings recently and doing ring pushups with them boosted my numbers pretty quickly. I took a PST on Tuesday and hit 126 in two minutes, up a whopping 12 reps from last month. Chickachickayeah baby!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

While 60 or hundred push ups is a noble goal, I encourage our athletes to continue scaling up to increasing difficult movements, instead oh adding endless reps to relatively easy movement. This has been mentioned in numerous threads in the past; ie the fifteen rep rule. If you can get fifteen reps of a movement, move up to something more difficult. If you have 15 push-ups, move on to dips, then ring dips, then rto dips, then hspu, then planche progressions, etc.

It doesn't always equate to getting more reps of the easier moves but it definitely helps you get stronger and reach more challenging, and IMO, impressive feats of bodyweight movements
Old 09-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Adam Rosner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Goodale View Post
While 60 or hundred push ups is a noble goal, I encourage our athletes to continue scaling up to increasing difficult movements, instead oh adding endless reps to relatively easy movement. This has been mentioned in numerous threads in the past; ie the fifteen rep rule. If you can get fifteen reps of a movement, move up to something more difficult. If you have 15 push-ups, move on to dips, then ring dips, then rto dips, then hspu, then planche progressions, etc.

It doesn't always equate to getting more reps of the easier moves but it definitely helps you get stronger and reach more challenging, and IMO, impressive feats of bodyweight movements
I agree. I would suggest that building a bigger strength/skill base would augment your endurance in simpler/easier exercises - ie: working your way up to doing planche pushups would directly change how your body handles regular pushups, even more so than just upping your rep count with regular pushups.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #10
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

At one point in my life I was heavier than you and couldn't do 5 push-ups. Just GTG (Grease The Groove). Everytime you want to go into the kitchen do as many as you can just one shy of failure. Bathroom same thing you see where I'm heading with this.

I can do around 110 in 2 minutes now.