CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:
Re: Ader Kettle Bell

First to answer the question on topic. When people ask me about the handle being slippery on the CAP handles (which are very similar to the Ader) I usually recomend getting some 80 girt or lower and rough the handle up. Gary's way of doing it with a flapper wheel is very fast so if you aren't taking it down to the metal be very careful. Just make sure you move in all directions so you create a cross scratch pattern. Just moving in one direction will only create grooves which could mess with you also.

Now regarding bells at 1.00/lb I know Paul thinks that I slighted the Troy bells in my recent article, but I can say that since Paul has been involved with the Troy bells they have come a very very long way. There was a time that I wouldn't have sold a Troy kettlebell at all. The only thing that is still an issue with them is the that they are a welded handle and yes a weld can fail, (I have yet to see this happen on one however) and that they are not in "pood" measurements, but this will be rectified at some point in the future as well. I think that for the average CrossFitter the weld will not be an issue (and come on how long do you think it will take...if you break one you can move up in weight on a new one and still not have spent as much as you would on a DD) its a question of handle size and texture. I am a fan of the smooth painted finish which is why I like the CAP, but if you have DD and want something comparable the Troy is a fantastic option.

Bill's decision to ditch "inferior" quality is a commendable one. We have been forced to do the same on some items. While we don't feel the same in this area we do feel that its best to give customers good options. Not everyone is going to buy SNAP-ON tools, for some people Craftsmen works just fine. (Sorry for those of you who don't follow the tool analogy.)

Noah
Old 03-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #12
John McEneany

Profile:

Any opinions on Body Solid kettlebells?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #13
John Westland

Profile:

I thought I read somewhere that the Troy brand Kettlebells were one piece castings not welded on handles.

Can this be verified. I will be buying several bells soon, so any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #14
Noah Alkinburgh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Westland View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the Troy brand Kettlebells were one piece castings not welded on handles.

Can this be verified. I will be buying several bells soon, so any info would be appreciated.
They are fixed 2"-3" in the bell and welded. This is direct from my factory rep. If Paul now gets on here and says its a solid weld my rep and I are having a big talk because I called to verify this before I did my write up as I wanted to be sure. It is a very clean weld on all the ones that I have seen and handled and as I mentioned I highly doubt there will be an issue of failure.

Body Solid bells are ok. The handles get progressively larger on the handles and are about 3/8" thicker in circumference then most of the other bells out there. If you like thick handles then Body Solid is the way to go. If not you can get a similar construction out of an Ader, Apollo, CAP bell usually for a better price.

Noah

Last edited by Noah Alkinburgh : 03-02-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: forgot to answer on body solid
Old 03-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
William Henniger

Profile:

It has been a few moons since I wrote that review which is where I believe Kris got the information:

1) The only item that would change would be the pricing as steel etc fluctuates. The price/LB has been driven down but I would still say that KB's/Bumpers/anything at $1/LB is on the low econ side. That being said you can always do KB swings with them

2) I would not want kettlebells that are welded at the seam, we use and abuse them for test

3) I have never tested the Troy bells but have tested welded bells, I am not a fan. I will buy some Troy bells and let you know how they do

4) I drive a Chevy and I build American made products so I would not recommend the Ferrari unless you race. For a very long time that has been the Dragon Door bells, they were priced crazy. I think there are some deals to be had but they lost the edge they had on me when they stopped making them in the US.

Bottom line is that we only sell gear that lasts.

5) I am an RKC and AKC so I have things I like about kettlebells to include the ability to do high rep work with them. I also drop kettlebells so I would prefer they didn't break, pop holes or chip like a car caked with bondo. There is a relationship in the handle size to bell size that makes them work right.

6) I like the Ader, MD Gray, DD Bells, AKC Type and a few others. They are all working to refine their products. I will let you know on the Troy bells

7) I really like the Punch bells: http://www.artofstrength.com/online-...ttlebells.aspx wfs

This guy has his s**** together and has done a fine job making bells in the US.

8) Things I will look at - Finish, handle size to bell ratio, manufacturing process, materials used, durability under normal & extreme abuse etc

If Troy makes a good bell for $1/LB I will tell you as I think price pressure is a good thing. At the time there were a few companies offering bells for $1/LB and they were JUNK.

If I have it my way I will have an American made bell that is perfect and it will compete on price. The kettlebells, bumpers and shoes are the tri-fecta of Chinese made gear and we are working on making them in the US.

Bill
Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
Juan Garcia

Profile:

to the op

how about taping up the handle
Old 03-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
Gary Ohm

Profile:

yep. numbers don't lie... great job Bert
Old 03-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Jason M Struck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Payne View Post
Try and avoid chalk. Keep working that grip strength.
?

huh.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #19
Brian Flynn

Profile:

I have Body Solids at home. They come in lbs. I have a 35, 45 and 2 55's. The handles are smooth, but the enamel doesn't chip. I like them, easy on the hands. I think it's a well made kb. I've used DD, Ader and Punch. I find Punch and DD to be a little pricey. I recently got a 28kg, from Kettlebells USA for $70 + shipping. For heavier bells, I wanted a little grit on my handle. I was extremely impressed with the quality. It's professional grade, and as good as the DD. I've talked to the owner, he runs a good shop and had it delivered in a week.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #20
Jeff Mouland

Profile:

After using my Kettle Bell about a dozen times I must admit my initial fears were unfounded. Keeping the handle clean and concentrating on grip is all you need to keep the bell in your hands