CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Gary Ohm

Profile:
Colorado Springs Area

Is anyone familiar with the Colorado Springs area? California is really ****ing me off. The most affordable area looks like a suburb called Fountain.

Anyone????
Old 03-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #2
Hunter Lea

Profile:
Re: Colorado Springs Area

Check the mainsite if you haven't already. I've only been to Crossfit SoCo in downtown CSprings. They just opened and are still renovating, and if you get in there fast you might be able to get the lowered price they're offering (not sure what it is, just know I still can't afford it).

Monthly memberships in Colorado Springs tend to be expensive at ANY gym, probably because we're so close to the Olympic training center. This brings us in close proximity with a huge community of highly knowledgeable, very competitive athletes who all wanna make money. The woman who coaches oly lifting at Crossfit SoCo got a bronze at the last Olympics, for example.

Hope this helps!

By the way, what brings you to the Springs from sunny ol' California?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Lea View Post
Check the mainsite if you haven't already. I've only been to Crossfit SoCo in downtown CSprings. They just opened and are still renovating, and if you get in there fast you might be able to get the lowered price they're offering (not sure what it is, just know I still can't afford it).

Monthly memberships in Colorado Springs tend to be expensive at ANY gym, probably because we're so close to the Olympic training center. This brings us in close proximity with a huge community of highly knowledgeable, very competitive athletes who all wanna make money. The woman who coaches oly lifting at Crossfit SoCo got a bronze at the last Olympics, for example.

Hope this helps!

oh, is THAT why they're so cheap?! my friend just got stationed at Ft. Carson and lives 2 blocks from CF SoCo. I almost had a heart attack when i saw the quality of trainers they have (2 olympians) compared to the price (65/mo unlimited, i think).
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Hunter Lea

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
oh, is THAT why they're so cheap?! my friend just got stationed at Ft. Carson and lives 2 blocks from CF SoCo. I almost had a heart attack when i saw the quality of trainers they have (2 olympians) compared to the price (65/mo unlimited, i think).
$65/month sounds right. The other one I know of near the downtown area charges $90/month :/ Not exactly in the budget of a college student. LOL
Old 03-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Lea View Post

I grew up in Wyoming so I miss the snow after 20 ish years away. California is nice, but it is not a place I want to be forever. Taxes are WAY too high and I don't get to see any of the benefits of them. We are basically a wellfare state.

If we can't move permanantly in the next few years, I'd still be looking for a place to settle after retirement. That way I can start the second half of my life and do something I actually like in a place I actually like.

My frist choice was Durango. But my wife says it's too isolated and too cold... She's a California girl.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Hunter Lea

Profile:

No way! I spent 13 years in Rock Springs, WY. Where'd you grow up?

I see you're talking about housing and not affiliate costs. Sorry I can't help you there, as I'm not looking for a house yet and I didn't live here before school. Students here are required to live on campus until their senior year.

Good luck with your retirement!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #7
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Born and Raised in Sheridan. I left after high school in 1987. I traveled alot to Rock Springs for tennis tournaments growing up. Rock Springs was in the Western athletic conference while Sheridan was East, so during school comps we never met until State...

Small world.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
John Corona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Colorado Springs area? California is really ****ing me off. The most affordable area looks like a suburb called Fountain.

I'm 5th generation Californian and I can honestly say that it's getting crazy here. They've raised the state income tax rates, increased the sales tax and doubled the vehicle registrations fees. The other day I called the DMV on a Monday, went through all the button pushing to find out they were closed (furloughed) on a freaking Monday! I'm paying all these increased taxes and fees and can't even get basic services...

Here's a summary of living in Southern Cali - It's expensive, it's crowded, there's tons of traffic and housing costs are beyond high. With all that being said...it's almost 70 degrees year round.

I'll be officially living in Colorado Springs next week as part of a work transfer and I'm excited about it. I'll miss SoCal because all my family is there but I'm ready to try something different.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Corona View Post

I'll be officially living in Colorado Springs next week as part of a work transfer and I'm excited about it.

That is awesome!! Congratulations. let us (me) know how it goes and your impressions...
Old 03-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #10
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Right before my wife and I moved to southern Oregon, from Ft. Collins, CO, we were looking at Creed, CO. You will definitely get reaquainted with snow there.