CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Damon Stewart

Profile:
SS Equivalent for O-Lifting

Is there a program out there for O-lifting designed to create maximum linear progression for the novice O-lifter?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Colin Francis

Profile:
Re: SS Equivalent for O-Lifting

well, you can buy rippetoe's Practical Programming for Strength training. while still biased towards the slow lifts, similiar principles as those presented in the book undoubtedly apply to oly lifting. a reviewer on amazon.com commented that "Olympic Weightlifting: a complete guide for athletes and coaches" by Greg Everett is comparable to SS.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Greg's book is comparable to to SS in the way it teaches the lifts. It does have a novice program or two IIRC but the snatch, clean and jerk are so technique dependant that any possibility for linear progression is usually spent developing technique at submaximal weights.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Erm... it doesn't work the same way. Olympic lifting has been tried out in the context of CFSB and has worked quite well for some people, myself included. Bingo talks about that in the sticky'd thread.

If you want to do olympic lifting to the exclusion of other physical activity, then you simply need to be doing the classic lifts as frequently as possible. The Bulgarians (who were, many of them at least, on drugs) had a limit to their standard workouts called maximum training resistance (MTR). MTR was a self-imposed limit above which one would require calling upon serious concentration and causing significant stress. It differed depending on the athlete's PR/current estimated PR. They mostly did the classic lifts in concert with front squats. That's it. No other assistance exercises.

Essentially, the classic lifts are not stressful enough on the body that they require great rest periods to recover between efforts. Don't overdo it, though - more than one lifter has noted that after a two week hiatus following a sickness or significant life event, they've come back and lifted better. It's because of the rest. So, basically, just practice the classic lifts. Be especially disciplined about lifting your hips and your shoulders at the same rate during the first pull. That sets you up for a good second pull and a successful catch.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

I've read a fair number of books (Greg's has the best teaching progressions and correct level of technique detail, IMHO) but so far nothing has "clicked" with me as far as making sense of programming. It always seems so random to me. To experienced people it is likely easy to grasp, but nothing thus far has seemed logical and straightfoward. And if something doesn't make sense to me, I normally won't do it.

Then I read this (wfs):
http://danjohn.org/best.pdf (the oly training: 101 article)

It goes from a simple, three days per week up to about 5/6 if someone desires that much work. The reasoning makes sense on all of it to me.

I plan to do this as I wrap up my latest 531 cycle. It's time for me to focus on my olympic work for a while and this is the simple program I plan to use.

howard
Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #6
Paul Epstein

Profile:

in my opinion its not something that can be programmed from a book.

unless you are seriously technically proficient, you benefit alot from a coach who knows when you are ready to move up a weight, what skills you need to practice etc.

even if you can only see him once or twice a fortnight.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

I just switched from a CF affiliate to a gym where there are quite a few serious o-lifters. The general program at this gym is go in as often as possible, snatch singles up to your daily max (make 3 and move up in weight, miss a few (6 or less, depending on how you feel that day and why you are missing) and then you can drop a few kg to pull a few really clean lifts and you are done snatching. Then c&j similar but give yourself fewer misses. Then front squat doubles moving up to a heavy single and call it good for the day*.

In less than two weeks I have added 8kg to my snatch max and my recovery is WAY better than doing a WOD every day. I figure I will be snatching bodyweight in 3-4 weeks. But the owner of the gym is around every day and gives excellent free coaching and also snatched a pr of around 125kg today...so that definitely helps.

So yeah, just snatch and c&j as heavy as you can as often as you can and still feel good.

As far as the Bulgarians doing drugs, not everyone agrees. I forget where I read it but some have pointed out that many Bulgarians stayed in the same weight class for years while other programs had lifters getting heavier every year. FWIW. I really don't know.

*I throw in a very short metcon or some muscle ups to failure just to try and not lose my CF ability...

edit again: wow, just read that article Howard posted, I'm glad to see that it is essentially identical to what I just outlined.

Last edited by Jesse Kodadek : 06-15-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
Robert Newman

Profile:

Doesn't greg's book have a weigt gain program in the back? Manyclassic lifts with a few oly mixed in. IMO what you're looking for. Drink the milk too.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Christian Groenveld

Profile:

have you looked at the Catalyst Athletics website? w/f/s http://www.cathletics.com/

Oly lifting wods w/ some metcon mixed in. It also goes through it's own programming (best to check it out for yourself than rely on me). Look at some local affiliate links too...a lot have Oly lifting workshops that aren't a certification or anything you would find on the main page. I would suggest attending something like that or seeking out someone knowledgeable to train you on the lifts.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I'll check out that Dan John link. I'm a decent O-lifter but was more curious if SS style linear progression was possible with the right programming assuming decent technique. I weigh 168 and currently snatch 185 and clean 255 but my goal this year is to snatch 100 kilos.