CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Wendler's 5/3/1

Hello folks,

About a month ago, I bought Wendler's 5/3/1 e-book. I knew I needed a plan to get my strength up since winging it wasn't really working. His book and CFSB came out about the same time so it was a good comparison.

A brief history:
I did a run of Starting Strength last year for about four months. It was awesome and gave me a base level of strength. I then switched to the conjugate method as much as I was able (didn't have a reverse-hyper for instance). This was useful for teaching me to go for 1-rep maxes. But the dynamic stuff wasn't as useful, at least the bench. Likewise, I needed to do the basic movements a lot instead of switching them up frequently (per most westside templates). It is entirely possible, if not probable that I could have been screwing it up. I would throw in various metcons during this time, but that wasn't really the focus.

All of that lasted until about June. Then we moved across the country and I started spending more time on metcons with a more random approach to strength work. It wasn't a pure MEBB but pretty close. Namely I would hit heavy work 2-3 times/week and hit metcons 3-2 times/week. This was pretty good but I kept stalling. It also became obvious that I needed to do certain things frequently, deadlifting and pressing for instance. It seems like if I don't lift heavy, frequently, I lose ability. But, the problem was that hitting PRs every time was becoming very difficult if not impossible.

I also tried the Texas Method in December and promptly ground to a halt in about three weeks. It probably would have worked in a standalone format, but with 2-3 metcons, it proved too much.

It also depleted me of motivation/energy to work on the olympic lifts, which are important to me. Since my technique is poor, I don't really burn out on them as I'm not lifting that much...but with the TM, there was little energy left to do much of anything.

So, I knew that I needed a plan of some sort and I was curious to compare CFSB and 5/3/1.

I read both and eventually decided to give 5/3/1 a shot for a number of reasons:

1. It had more pressing and I had some pressing goals that I want to achieve still (both overhead and bench).
2. It is easier to recover from since you aren't hitting a PR every time.
3. It seems as if it can last much longer since it is kind of a wave approach.
4. The assistance work can be used to work on a weak area or build work capacity (ala CFSB) or done in metcon format giving lots of flexibility (note: this is my own addition, he doesn't spend much time talking about metcon stuff, though he does discuss the prowler and hill sprints).
5. I know what my weights will be on any given workout allowing my mind to "relax" and focus on other stuff (technique, olympic work, metcon performances, etc). Assuming I can continue progress, I know what my workouts will be a year from now, weight-wise (on the big four, the other stuff is completely variable). If I have to reset, of course, this changes a bit.
6. In a similar vein to 2, it allows me to work on olympic stuff more (or gymnastics, etc) since I'm not as spent.

The essence of the program is continued progress in a wave format on the big four: squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press (he does talk about substitutions however). It's a four week cycle (with the fourth week being a deload week)...then the next cycle adds some weight and begins again. The first week does 5s, the second week does 3s, and the third week does 5/3/1 reps (all of the above at various percentages of 1RM). The unique thing is that on your last set you do as many reps as possible. For example, if you are on the second week and your third set is supposed to be 225x3...then that's the bare minimum. But you try and get as many as you can, so if you get 6, that is awesome. This is the first program that I've done with percentages. Yes, that makes it a little nerdy in a way, but I decided to do it anyway.

I'm not going to give too much detail since I think the book is easily worth the $20 it costs. I've been a fan of Wendler's writing style for a while now since he seems to combine independent thinking, common sense, and being a smartass into a useful and humorous style.

This program also doesn't assume specialized equipment like reverse-hypers, boards, chains, bands, etc...nor does it assume you'll be using suits. It just assumes you want to be strong and feel great (he explains all this and how he got to that desire)...in other words, it isn't really like other westside templates. Someone mentioned that it was similar to the BFS template and I went and read that book to see. Yes, there are some similarities though I think Wendler's is more elegant and simplified.

I'm about to start my first deload week and will likely knock out a few hard metcons. So far I'm enjoying it and even went through the trouble to create a spreadsheet with formulas for the first three months.

Here's the link for the e-book (wfs):
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=370&pid=2976

Please understand this is no downplaying of CFSB (in fact I encouraged one of my clients to begin it and he has) but just a personal preference based on my mindset, interests, and abilities.

I've enjoyed the first cycle and I'm looking forward to the next and if I keep progressing according to plan, I'll easily hit my yearly goals.

howard
Old 04-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Jason Beck

Profile:
Re: Wendler's 5/3/1

I've also read Wendlers book...its a very good read and I've incorporated some of his ideas into my own training. Definitely worth the money if your looking for a training book.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Travis Cudlin

Profile:

One of the best buys that I've made in a while- very no nonsense, no bull****, just getting as strong as possible.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Justin Algera

Profile:

Ive been going back and forth on whether or not to get this and I think I just may now...
Old 04-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wilcox View Post
I've been a fan of Wendler's writing style for a while now since he seems to combine independent thinking, common sense, and being a smartass into a useful and humorous style.
Right on. I'm in my 3rd "month" of 531 and I absolutely love it. I think of all the strength training I've done (Linear, conjugate, and of course the BS bodybuilding lifts) its the best. Who knows, maybe I'll switch to Westside in a year, cuz boards and chains are awesome. But overall, I think the volume you get on the 5 & 3 days is great, plus you get singles one week a month, so its sorta in line with the frequency you get with CF. I also get a lot of supp lifts in and a brief metcon afterward, on top of my ROTC PT twice a week.

You eluded to plateauing more or less while doing CFSB and conjugate (w/metcons Im assuming) and I think based on what you described you were overtraining. OF course I would never do just powerlifting with no endurance or conditioning component, but it sounds to me like doing westside and metcons every time you train would get to be too much. That would depend on your training frequency, so if you were doing 4+ days a week, I would think you were overtrained or not fully recovered.

I would highly recommend Wendler's program to anyone looking to increase strength, even if you want to do WOD's.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Jake Scherzer

Profile:

Totally worth the 20 bucks. I'm doing this (about to finish off the 4th week) and loving it so far. I like how versatile it is...as long as you stick with his template on the big lifts your auxiliary/accessory work can be whatever you want. It's a blast!
Old 04-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Daniel Higgins

Profile:

Definitely. I'm basically using it in my CFSB period, before I start primarily WODs. Problem is, I'm not sure if I want to do only WOD's now since I'm loving 5/3/1.

Regardless, it is great for preparing you for a number of things: powerlifting, strongman, Crossfit, bodybuilding...
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Stuart Buck

Profile:

Someone recently asked Rippetoe what he thought of Wendler's program, and here was the reply:
Quote:
http://************.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4730
wfs

Mark Rippetoe
Moderator Join Date: Jul 2007

I'm unfamiliar with it, I hate to admit. But Jim is a good lifter and a great coach, and were I in the sport I'd ask him to coach me.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wilcox View Post
I'm about to start my first deload week and will likely knock out a few hard metcons. So far I'm enjoying it and even went through the trouble to create a spreadsheet with formulas for the first three months.
Just to point this out, deload is supposed to be a rest week, not a pound metcons week.. leave you fresh not tired..

Also, great book / program. Very flexible and smart and simple, all in one. Also, kinda cuts the crap about why raw lifters don't need and possibly shouldn't use all the fancy stuff used in the normal westside templates.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
Jake Scherzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Just to point this out, deload is supposed to be a rest week, not a pound metcons week.. leave you fresh not tired..
This. I wouldn't want to do metcons during a deload week. Most of the other guys/gals I know that are currently on the 5/3/1 Kool-Aid are lifting at low percentages of their 1RMs or just doing spare, low-rep sessions here and there. I still need to figure out what to do for my deload...almost done with the second cycle of the program!