CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Brady Osborne

Profile:
paleo breakfast

ok so as most paleo followers know breakfast is one of the more difficult meals to switch over. i was hoping to hear from some people for ideas on what they eat in the morning. i have a workout first thing so i need to find a suitable snack then a breakfast after my WOD while at work. as of right now i usually start with a handful of almonds and dried fruit. then a tuna packet or leftovers from the night before for post WOD.

what do you guys eat?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
Patrick Janes

Profile:
Re: paleo breakfast

brady, check out nikki's:

free book of paleo breaky recipesPLEASE ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

it's been the inspiration for my now quite varietal and tasty breaky menu.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 12-30-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Nick Hanson

Profile:

How about hardboiled eggs and fruit. Why is this one of the hardest to change? To me this was the breakfast that was most similar to what I normally do.

If you don't like eggs, why not leftover meat from the morning? Or a high quality breakfast sausage from grass fed animals.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Brady Osborne

Profile:

i meant its difficult in the sense that most americans eat a high carb breakfast focused around cereal or other grains. i am a fan of eggs just that they dont settle very well pre-WOD for me.

thanks for the tips guys
Old 12-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Osborne View Post
i meant its difficult in the sense that most americans eat a high carb breakfast focused around cereal or other grains. i am a fan of eggs just that they dont settle very well pre-WOD for me.

thanks for the tips guys
Consider skipping the pre-WOD food. I just finished the Filthy Fifty after a 16 hour fast without any perceived bonking (sucking, yes, bonking, no).

Last edited by Scott Allen Hanson : 12-21-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-21-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allen Hanson View Post
Consider skipping the pre-WOD food. I just finished the Filthy Fifty after a 16 hour fast without any perceived bonking (sucking, yes, bonking, no).
I can't eat within 4 hours before a workout. If I do, I develop a strange desire to meet Pukie.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
Brady Osborne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Maisannes View Post
I can't eat within 4 hours before a workout. If I do, I develop a strange desire to meet Pukie.
same thing happens to me but i always feel tired and weak if i dont eat. i gotta get something small down first.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Osborne View Post
same thing happens to me but i always feel tired and weak if i dont eat. i gotta get something small down first.
The energy made available to you from a meal doesn't hit until a few hours later. I'm not saying I work out on a completely empty stomach. I still have food in my system, since it takes anywhere from 4 to 12 hours to digest a meal depending on what and how much you ate.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
Scott Clark

Profile:

I usually only eat an early morning "breakfast" on weekends. IF has made things so much easier during the work week than I have no desire to spend 30 minutes in the morning making food.

As far as carbs go, if one desires more carbs in a paleo breakfast (or any meal) then nothing beats a big steak and sweet potato.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
Liam Dougherty Springer

Profile:

Okay my favorite paleo breakfast PWO is a Bannana and some berries or other seasonal fruit if berries are no good Eggs, Bacon, sauted garlic and Kale, and fried onions and parsnips, a Nice table spoon of cod liver oil and some vitamin D and I am set.

Another lower carb higher Protein breakfast is Eggs and a Localy raised pork steak (hard to find this cut outside St. Louis) or other fatty cut of pork, 1/2 aple diced and fried in coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon then chard placed on top and ACV drissled on top to wilt the chard. Place the eggs sunny cide up on top of the chard and the Pork beside it.

Both will work post wok out depending on your goals and recovery needs. If you are afraid of too many fat blocks because you are on the low cal path right now reduce the fat you add for cooking and choose a leaner cut of meat and don't fry/scramble the eggs in bacon grease. Still I'd go for the fat and eat a salad later.