CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
Luke Conner
Member Luke Conner is offline
 
Luke Conner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 236
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Groves View Post
I really don't belive in the crossfit brand? I have been following crossfit for close to 3 years now on my own. I got kicked out of the gym I am currently employeed at for doing crossfit. I expalined to him my weight loss story showed him the article I posted here and he was then sold on the crossfit methods. When I got kicked out of the gym I drove an hour every day to a crossfit friendly gym. Im not in this for a quick buck, This is something I belive in it helped me get to where I am now as a person and I want to help people do the same.

Course of action one:

There was never any refernce to Crossfit in our gym....besides our clothing...So I've wore these clothes for 3 years and I put in affilaite papers im supposed to go buy new clothes?..we have a white board, rogue bumper plates, rouge squat racks, rings, ropes, boxes, rogue bars. everyone knew from day one that walked it that it was not crossfit.....

Course of action three:

As soon as we got put on probation...everything was taken down and it was put on the facebook page we are not a crossfit affiliate in our about section. I did apoligize to Esther the first time I spoke with her on the phone and she told me to put in a affiliate under my name. As for the affiliate in the community...im not going to get into that on the boards...there is more to the story with this guy.

I am not whining on the boards. Simply asking other people for advice or if anyone else has had this happen. I am sorry this happend like this...did we do anything wrong? I dont belive so...we done everything HQ asked of us. It is what it is though.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. On the one hand you say you don't offer crossfit and have no references to it. Except you have something called X-Fit that looks exactly like crossfit and you charge extra for it, oh and all your members call it crossfit. The fact is you've been offering crossfit at your gym already and just calling it something slightly different.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
Jonathan Groves
Member Jonathan Groves is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Summersville  WV
Posts: 38
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Conner View Post
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. On the one hand you say you don't offer crossfit and have no references to it. Except you have something called X-Fit that looks exactly like crossfit and you charge extra for it, oh and all your members call it crossfit. The fact is you've been offering crossfit at your gym already and just calling it something slightly different.
No...there is three seperate stories...the first affliation process...then the month probation, denial...then my application process.

We had it called X-fit because of Xtreme fitness... HQ told us to take it down and put us on probation if we wanted to be affiliated. We did and every photo even resembling crossfit. During that month probation the other trainer and I both compteted in a Crossfit Competition locally...people from our gym us there....so they know we both do crossfit!

We just called it group fitness after that. Everyone was told it was group fitness. Everyone that signed up was told it was group fitness. Everyone that called was told its group fitness.
__________________
"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse ."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
Aushion Chatman
Affiliate Aushion Chatman is offline
 
Aushion Chatman's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Diego  CA
Posts: 3,342
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Sounds like Xtreme Fitness will never be able to affiliate to me.

OP, you'll have to come to grips with that and then make a decision. Either break away and start your own affiliate under YOUR name. Keep spitting in the wind and trying to affiliate where HQ will not allow an affiliation. Or forget affiliation and offer your clients the best training you can.
__________________
My Youtube Channel
CFSD Yelp
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
Jonathan Groves
Member Jonathan Groves is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Summersville  WV
Posts: 38
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Sounds like Xtreme Fitness will never be able to affiliate to me.

OP, you'll have to come to grips with that and then make a decision. Either break away and start your own affiliate under YOUR name. Keep spitting in the wind and trying to affiliate where HQ will not allow an affiliation. Or forget affiliation and offer your clients the best training you can.
I will more than likely doing this option for now I can't just up and leave someone who gave me the oppertunity to do this. I'm not like that. It just sucks that I can get the affiliation, be in charge of the program and can not do it here because we supposedly promoted we had crossfit classes. Especially since they knew I was apart of the first affiliation process.

Don't get me wrong...I'm Very Very greatful I can still affiliate if I would ever decide to burn bridges.
__________________
"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse ."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
Luke Conner
Member Luke Conner is offline
 
Luke Conner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix  AZ
Posts: 236
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

So you'll essentially just keep doing what got you denied in the first place. Offering CrossFit under a different name to protect yourself legally.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #26
Jonathan Groves
Member Jonathan Groves is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Summersville  WV
Posts: 38
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Conner View Post
So you'll essentially just keep doing what got you denied in the first place. Offering CrossFit under a different name to protect yourself legally.


I spent 1,000$ on a L-1 so I can become affiliated. I'm not changing what I do, or how I train people because I can or cannot call it something. It's what I believe gets the best results. Legal department said we are more than welcome to do that. We just can't use CrossFit. At least that is what she told us when we were put on probation. We can do "fran, grace, FGB, whatever"...just can not use the word crossfit.
__________________
"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse ."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
Steve M Herman
Member Steve M Herman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Peoria  AZ
Posts: 45
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Why not set up your own affiliate under your own LLC or something out of your garage and then when you quickly outgrow the garage rent space from a local gym?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #28
Dale F. Saran
CrossFit Staff Dale F. Saran is offline
 
Dale F. Saran's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Westerly  RI
Posts: 559
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Groves View Post
I will more than likely doing this option for now I can't just up and leave someone who gave me the oppertunity to do this. I'm not like that. It just sucks that I can get the affiliation, be in charge of the program and can not do it here because we supposedly promoted we had crossfit classes. Especially since they knew I was apart of the first affiliation process.

Don't get me wrong...I'm Very Very greatful I can still affiliate if I would ever decide to burn bridges.
Jonathan: First, you've left out a few important details in your re-telling, including how many times the gym you are at got caught after telling us they would get themselves legit. Second, you insulted my head paralegal (and have continued to do so here) when you were in the wrong. As others have pointed out, all you do is continue to point the finger at everyone else and keep telling us how you deserve to be an affiliate because you have been doing CrossFit and you work hard at it and you wear Reebok gear. That you so obviously miss the essence of affiliation is all the grounds we need for denying your application. You've been told repeatedly on here by people who "get it" and all you do is say the same things. Here's the shortest and easiest way of understanding it: CrossFit has to decide with whom it would like to be in business. We start by taking the position that every applicant or facility is a good egg until proven otherwise. The facility you'e at provided sufficient evidence to convince a majority of us who are involved in that process "otherwise." Congratulations. You coming on here and blasting away only further sealed that decision.

Dale
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
Jonathan Groves
Member Jonathan Groves is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Summersville  WV
Posts: 38
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale F. Saran View Post
Jonathan: First, you've left out a few important details in your re-telling, including how many times the gym you are at got caught after telling us they would get themselves legit. Second, you insulted my head paralegal (and have continued to do so here) when you were in the wrong. As others have pointed out, all you do is continue to point the finger at everyone else and keep telling us how you deserve to be an affiliate because you have been doing CrossFit and you work hard at it and you wear Reebok gear. That you so obviously miss the essence of affiliation is all the grounds we need for denying your application. You've been told repeatedly on here by people who "get it" and all you do is say the same things. Here's the shortest and easiest way of understanding it: CrossFit has to decide with whom it would like to be in business. We start by taking the position that every applicant or facility is a good egg until proven otherwise. The facility you'e at provided sufficient evidence to convince a majority of us who are involved in that process "otherwise." Congratulations. You coming on here and blasting away only further sealed that decision.

Dale
I have not insulted anyone besides the guy who reported us for advertising crossfit.

If you dont mind Dale, Id like to talk to someone about this on the phone for 20-30 minutes and im done.

At this point im not even trying to get the affiliation we've done spent more money on equipment, and renovations for our classes.


The reason I would like to talk on the phone.

I know i do not deserve affiliation simply because i do crossfit or I wear crossfit clothes. for some reason everyone here thinks that.

I know the first time we messed up...we were put on probation and we done everything right.

I did not insult esther, I said she manipulated clinton. She called trying to find problems I understand its her job. However my boss never said crossfit.

The guy reporting us...I'd be galad to talk to you about him. I understand he is affilaited you are protecting him....but there is quite a few things he does thats not fair/legit/community like. I'd be glad to share with you.

Some how via emails and all the messages on here there has been some miscommunication on what im trying to do on here and at this gym.

I would like to clairfy it over the phone.
__________________
"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse ."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Brian Strump
Affiliate Brian Strump is offline
 
Brian Strump's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charlotte  NC
Posts: 2,619
Re: Denied CrossFit Affiliation due to trademark infringement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Groves View Post
The guy reporting us...I'd be galad to talk to you about him. I understand he is affilaited you are protecting him....but there is quite a few things he does thats not fair/legit/community like. I'd be glad to share with you.
1. Life is not fair.
2. Doing something that is not "community like" is different than illegal. Trainers up and leave affiliates, and open their own. Such behavior is not "community like", but not illegal.
__________________
Brian Strump, D.C., FMS, NKT
www.crossfitsteelecreek.com/
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crossfit: Protect the Trademark? Stuart Buck Community 15 11-27-2008 05:45 PM
Do people actually get denied for Affiliation? Justin Rovtar Running a CrossFit Facility 90 11-07-2008 09:36 AM
Potential trade mark infringement? Alicia Michel Community 3 06-19-2008 11:50 PM
Crossfit Affiliation Process Randy Gruezo Running a CrossFit Facility 7 08-10-2007 07:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.