CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #741
Russell Greene

Profile:
Re: Stop Anthos from Taking over CrossFit

Our mascot is a vomiting clown. We go to work in shorts and t-shirts. I don't know what made you guys think CrossFit would exemplify what you consider "professional," aka business as usual.

I'm writing this off of a "standing desk" composed of two Rogue plyo boxes.

Now, if you want to talk about rapid small business growth in a disadvantaged economic climate generated by a program dramatically more effective than its "competition", then I'd guess we may actually be a professional business after all. Really, it depends what you mean by "professional."
Old 11-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #742
Jeff Enge

Profile:

"Professional" doesn't mean what you wear or what your work surroundings are. "Professional" means how you conduct yourself. It's entirely possible to be irreverant and still present yourself with at least a modicum of class.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #743
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Greene View Post
Our mascot is a vomiting clown. We go to work in shorts and t-shirts.
Geezus. The Buccaneers have a pirate as a mascot and go to work in a helmet and pads. They're still expected to be professionals though.

Quote:
I don't know what made you guys think CrossFit would exemplify what you consider "professional," aka business as usual.
This tells me that you would be comfortable with telling a potential affiliate that Crossfit as an organization does not see itself as nor try to be a group of professionals. It tells me that your organizational values support mocking and ridiculing others (as you've done with Anthos) and kicking the competition when it is down.

Next time you have a big affiliate meeting, stand up in front of them and tell them "I don't know what made you guys think CrossFit would exemplify what you consider "professional." Let us know how it goes.

- Mark
Old 11-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #744
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Quote:
Our mascot is a vomiting clown. We go to work in shorts and t-shirts. I don't know what made you guys think CrossFit would exemplify what you consider "professional," aka business as usual.

Now, if you want to talk about rapid small business growth in a disadvantaged economic climate generated by a program dramatically more effective than its "competition", then I'd guess we may actually be a professional business after all. Really, it depends what you mean by "professional."
I hold CrossFit to a higher standard for exactly that reason; it IS NOT "business as usual". It is a fantastic organization built around a close-knit community of dedicated grandparents, working adults, teenagers, and children. We dedicate our time, money, sweat, and (sometimes) blood to making the lives of those around us better. A large number of us are (or have been) public servants (military, police, firemen, etc). We do a tremendous amount of charity work. We help each other and compete with each other and (almost always) demonstrate great sportsmanship throughout.

Mike Warkinton said "“Coach Glassman’s goal is to make the community fit and smart [.] Our goal isn’t just physical fitness; it’s mental and whole-body fitness. CrossFit wants to create better people. We want to write about anything that makes the community better[.] Coach’s vision of making people better is not limited to perfect squats but includes the ability to think and debate.” ~CFJ Oct 2012, "10 Years of Excellence". This article, by Emily Beers, was referring to the CrossFit Journal but I'd like to think the same could be said about all aspects of CrossFit.

I'm sorry that you don't share my feelings but, luckily for the CrossFit community, I think there are others who do.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #745
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Holmes View Post
wow. That escalated quickly. I'm not sure about your segue. Perhaps a new thread is in order? Or perhaps a phone call/email to HQ rather than a post on here?
Dane,

I'm sorry I wrote that. I was still riding a high from replying to Russell's post. I realized, just a little too late, that what I wrote was an inappropriate response to what you and many affiliate owners consider to be an important issue. Unfortunately, it was too late to edit it so I asked the moderators to remove it. Again, I'm sorry I wrote that. I'll try to use that brain-finger filter a little better next time.

-Nate
Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #746
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Geezus. The Buccaneers have a pirate as a mascot and go to work in a helmet and pads. They're still expected to be professionals though.
As a reminder : Pirates kill and steal for a living, and the football pads are designed to prevent possible career-ending injury or even death.

- Mark
Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #747
Dane Thomas

Profile:

No worries at all.

I understand Russell's enthusiasm regarding the victory over Anthos as well as those who whole-heartedly approve of it. I wouldn't choose to express myself in the same terms in a pubic forum, but maybe that's just a sign of old age/maturity.

Would very much like to engage a bit of that enthusiasm on the issue that I presented. When CrossFit HQ willingly allows Gold's Gym to start official affiliates, it seems to me that we have sacrificed something significant on the alter of expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Holmes View Post
Dane,

I'm sorry I wrote that. I was still riding a high from replying to Russell's post. I realized, just a little too late, that what I wrote was an inappropriate response to what you and many affiliate owners consider to be an important issue. Unfortunately, it was too late to edit it so I asked the moderators to remove it. Again, I'm sorry I wrote that. I'll try to use that brain-finger filter a little better next time.

-Nate
Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #748
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:

I swear some of these posts remind of my first year in grad school. Just a room full of people who've made it far enough to think they know what they're talking about (myself included). But are really just full of hot-air. Throwing out five dollar words and long flowery sentences is transparent. I don't mean to single-out that post in particular because god knows there are quite a few but the bolded print is a shining example.

No one likes grad-school guy or being passive-agressive about your own intelligence. We get it.

All that said, there's nothing wrong with being childish or unprofessional to a certain degree and being successful doing it (see The Outlaw Way). I like it, I'd rather you not take yourself so seriously. But you can't have it both ways. Well you can, but if you do don't expect anyone to consider your opinions as serious candidates for the truth when you're debating facts.

That is all.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #749
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane Thomas View Post
I am very glad that committed supporters of CrossFit helped to fend off this attempt by Anthos, but there are other threats to CrossFit and to the affiliate agreement that HQ has yet to address.

Coach and others at HQ have been clear over the years that they see affiliates starting in Globo-gyms as an opportunity for trainer/entrepreneurs to establish businesses and win over converts in a target-rich environment, with the assumption that those who are successful will eventually build enough of a client base to move out into a space of their own. The foundational principles empowering that concept includes the fact that the affiliate agreement is connected to a person, not a corporation. Ideally that person is an owner-operator, directly involved and invested i the operations and growth prospects of their affiliate. Additionally, affiliates are supposed to show that their business is independent and separate from that of the Globo-gym. Affiliates are supposed to have their own websites and membership structures. Affiliates are supposed to be primarily focused on CrossFit, not just offering CrossFit as one of many different fitness activities.

This definition and enforcement of this separation between officially recognized CrossFit Affiliates and the rest of the fitness world has been very important historically. It has gone hand in hand with the efforts of the legal department to protect against IP theft. For many Affiliates, this protection and guarantee of exclusive rights of access to the trademark is a large part of what makes Affiliation fees worth paying.

That is why it is so distressing that HQ has recently decided to ignore this aspect of the owner-operator affiliation model by allowing Globo-gym corporate entities to affiliate through the use of proxies. Corporate management at multinational gym chains are opening affiliates with the full backing and investment of the parent companies. HQ is turning a blind eye to the requirements that affiliates must be separate businesses, with separate websites and memberships. 100% CrossFit boxes run by owner-operators are being severely undercut in price by chain gyms where thousands of existing members are given direct access to an officially recognized CrossFit affiliate. In the minds of those members, CrossFit becomes just one more of the dozens of different types of classes offered by the chain, powerfully undermining the value of the CrossFit brand in those markets.

HQ is willfully failing to differentiate between committed owner-operators and corporate Globo-gyms attempting to minimize membership losses by hopping on the CrossFit gravy train. Globo-gyms don't necessarily need to grow their own CrossFit businesses in order to succeed when staunching their losses will be more than sufficient for them to recoup their investment. How can anybody reasonably expect the general public to be more discerning than HQ on this matter?

Think about the alternatives. If the Globo-gym-owned affiliate can provide high-quality CrossFit training and community at considerably lower costs than owner-operated affiliates, there is no longer any compelling reason for the owner-operated affiliates to exist in markets where consumers have a choice. On the other hand, if owner-operated affiliates are able to offer a substantially better training and community experience than Globo-gym-owned affiliates, thus motivating a difference in price that reflects the relative difference in economic realities between the two entities being compared, why should CrossFit HQ allow Globo-gym-owned affiliates into the marketplace?

None of this will affect me or my facility but it is having a negative impact on other owner-operators in my area and it is very likely to spread. If I were running a Globo-gym I would jump on it in a heartbeat because they have literally everything to gain and nothing to lose, all at the expense of the local owner-operatored affiliates who built the reputation of CrossFit with their blood, sweat and tears.

HQ and the community did a great job fending off Anthos, but HQ is ignoring this more insidious danger and it is likely to continue doing so until the community notices and starts reacting. We collected signatures from 30+ affiliate owners in my area who are concerned about this and we have submitted our concerns and suggested improvements to HQ on October 19. We sent our letter to Greg Glassman, Tony Budding, Dave Castro, Nicole Carroll, Kathy Glassman and Affiliate Support but have yet to get an answer from any of them. Russell, now that the Anthos threat has been deflected, maybe you can get your fellow staff members to take this one seriously.
Dane - evidently you have a bone to pick. I have answered this post here (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=79020).

As to Russ' post, I didn't see it as a "spiking of the ball". He told, pretty drily, what happened and offered it as a congratulations to the Community, as well as offering up a few details of what happened. Of course, the usual folks have jumped in with their "you're unprofessional" meme - I get that on my personal facebook page when I'm minding my own business from the usual crowd of CrossFit Haters who are just galled that CF, Inc. and Greg didn't lose this fight. I suspect this is because there is a dedicated crowd of CF bashers and Haters who have been saying for years that CrossFit was a fad, that it would fail, that the Games was a joke ('duh, working out isn't a sport!"), and on and on. For that crew, the Anthos attempted takeover was to be their moment to gloat gleefully. And instead, Coach Glassman now has complete control, so we see multiple screeds about how we didn't actually win, about how we just took money from other PE firms ("that's the same as Anthos!"), and other such nonsense. I've realized that for these people, every CrossFit success is another finger in their eye, another reminder of how wrong they are about both the program, its founder (who many of the Haters have called every name in the book), the Company, and its continued ascension.

And the next avenue of attack is on the trademark and genericization.

All we do is keep fighting to allow our affiliates to grow, and train people, and make them better, and build their own communities of like-minded folks.

Dane, your complaint is heard and being dealt with by my Team. Please see my response in the separate thread. Kathy addressed the issue repeatedly but you appear to have completely ignored her messages in favor of making claims that HQ is "willfully" trying to screw over its affiliates, notwithstanding everything we just went through to protect those affiliates. We're doing the same (as we have done previously in other countries) on your issue. How about a little benefit of the doubt instead of ready.fire.aim.

Dale
Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #750
Dane Thomas

Profile:

Dale, Thanks for your reply. I have answered you on the other thread.

Sorry for hijacking this one. Any further discussion on the topic that I introduced should take place here: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=79020