CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Gary Ohm

Profile:
asthma/ lung allergies caused by aspartame sensitivity

I'll try and make this brief. About 9 months ago I got on a gum kick. I have a stressful job and I am a stress eater. Rather than eat all the time I started chewing gum. About six months ago I started having this weird lung butter build up at night. It takes about 45 minutes for me to clear my throat after I lay down and then one big WHOARK!! in the morning. I chalked it up to seasonal allergies.
About 6 weeks ago I started having asthma. I've had asthma in the past, both seasonal and exercise induced, so I was not too worried. I have Advair and albuterol and know how to use them and when.

Well, the "asthma" and tight chest stuff is not clearing up. We've gone through a few seasons here so it's no longer seasonal allergies. I take two benedryl almost every night as a sleep aid so I'm relatively sure it's not allergies. I am still able to work out fine, and I feel great except for this lung stuff.

Today I start thinking what the heck has changed in the past 9 months. It hits me that I am chewing HUMONGOUS quantities of gum. It's sugarfree and my particular brand has aspartame as a sweetener. Following a quick google search I find that a potential side effect of aspartame is chest tightness. This pretty much fits what I am having.

Questions:
has anyone else experienced this?
Has anyone found a solution? I'm off the gum as of today for a detox test period.
If anyone chews huge amounts of gum (pretty much all day long), is there anything out there that is "all natural" with "close to zero calories"? I can almost say I don't care about the taste, I can get used to anything.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
Glenn Pasewicz

Profile:
Re: asthma/ lung allergies caused by aspartame sensitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ohm View Post
Questions:
has anyone else experienced this?
Has anyone found a solution? I'm off the gum as of today for a detox test period.
If anyone chews huge amounts of gum (pretty much all day long), is there anything out there that is "all natural" with "close to zero calories"? I can almost say I don't care about the taste, I can get used to anything.
I hadn't heard about the asthma connection, but it's something to keep in mind.

It is getting ridiculously hard to find any gum that isn't artificially sweetened.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
John C Corona

Profile:

Know nothing about aspartame, but would never ingest it intentionally.

Squeeze a lemon in some water, and eat some fruit...might help clean yourself out a bit. Learn how to relax yourself. I know, easier said than done. Just like you practice a skill, you can learn to relax, and this will carry over to when you are in those stressfull situations.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Gary Ohm

Profile:

Thanks for the replies folks. I do pretty well at relaxing, but like I said, I'm a stress eater. I can either eat, or I can drink coffee. The downside is the company supplied coffee is horrendous, and their creamer is non-dairy powdered death. I can bring almond milk and it's not awful, but my stomach gets full. Gum had been my ticket. I ran across some tree sap gum of some sort, but it is ridiculously expensive. Plus I'd be afraid it might pull out my fillings and crowns...
Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

Just chew some gum with regular old sugar in it. The sugar from a few sticks of gum per day isn't going to do anything negative to you.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Gary, you should be able to find some gum with just sugar in it at Trader Joes or the like.

I remember back when I was in college in my early 20's my roomies and I would chew gum when we weren't chewing oatmeal because it did beat off the hunger. We also got literally a year's supply of gum from our friend who worked at a movie theatre and gave us bags full of sample gum.

I have seen the asthma lung stuff posts start creeping up on other forums.

You could look for the gum that uses sugar alcohols. However, I have heard lots of sugar alcohol can have a laxative effect.

Glee and double bubble come to mind. Maybe chiclet?

candydirect.com maybe can help you order some