CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Aaron Schmid

Profile:
Paleo Backup

So I saw the link i posted at the bottom tweeted today by a pretty reputable source. It talks mainly about cancer and stuff but it has a few good points that led me to do some further research.

"Tumor cells evolve to rely mainly on glucose processing to generate energy, grow and thrive. They increase glucose uptake and glycolysis, a process that doesn't involve oxygen and occurs in the cell's cytosol. Non-cancerous cells rely more heavily on oxygen-based metabolism of fatty acids and other nutrients in the cell's mitochondria. This difference is called the Warburg Effect."

I did some research on the Warburg effect, diet, glucose, high fat diets, low carb diets, etc. and it seems that a low carb/sugar diet can possibly decrease tumor incidence/size and reverse tumor growth and cancer. Not sure how true it all is but the research and primary articles are out there if you search. I guess it's just nice to see that the paleo diet isn't only about good nutrition and getting fit but it may also help prevent metabolic disease and cancer.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0526191226.htm

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...662484,00.html