CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-23-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
Sarah Heath

Profile:
Any of you ever have a pull up band fail?

What I'd like to know is:
Have you ever had a pull up band fail?
If so what brand was it?
Was it a personal use band or in a Crossfit box?
How old was it when it failed?
If you were using them in a Crossfit box were they used "daily" or when ever the WOD had pullups?

My husband thinks that they way the pull up bands are attached is a bad idea. That it creates a week point at the bar on the band. He also thinks that a pullup bar made from Home depot galvanized pipe is not strong enough. I checked with one of the engineers here at work. He was joking, but said I could hang a boat from it. He said it would be more than enough for me.

He said I could "make do" with out one. Honestly I have very little equipment and no pullup bar hinders the crossfit experiance in my opinion. If i had a pullup bar, then my number of WOD's I can to vastly increases in variety.

I'm trying to get a feel for how sturdy these are so I can tell him it is safe.

Thank you
Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Andrew White

Profile:
Re: Any of you ever have a pull up band fail?

I have had a band fail. I wasn't using it for pullups, rather as a seated up-ward row but it did fail.

I purchased some jump-stretch bands from EFS about 4 years ago and have used them extensively in my home gym [use is about 4-6 times a week]. When this one failed it was at a point that had become frayed and it just suddenly snapped mid pull, hitting me in the shoulder.

Reasonably it was my fault, the band was 4 years old and it was slightly frayed.

Just make sure to check the bands fairly periodically, and take them down off the bar to check the entirety of the band and you should be fine. After about a year to 2 years replace any bands you might have if they are starting to look frayed or dried out.

As per the pull-up bar; I am 250 pounds and my pull-up bar is OD pipe from Home Depot. I routinely do kipping pull-ups on it with no problem, so unless you are heavier than I [unlikely] there shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure that when you mount it you screw it into the studs rather than just into wallboard.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

We have Iron woody pullup bands and some McMaster/Carr cargo pallet bands in our box. In about two years of daily use we've recently had one pallet band out of a half dozen part. The Iron Woods bands are good to go. They're much thicker than the pallet bands.

Galvanized steel water water pipes are what we used in our pullup structure. It's been in daily use for about two years by up to sixty people weighing as much as 250lbs. The only thing that has failed is the bolts that anchor the 4x4 uprights into the foundation. Those have popped loose out of the sleeves, mainly from lateral force.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

You're very unlikely to break either a band or a properly-installed bar. The bands on the market are very, very strong, and you're very unlikely to come anywhere near stretching one to its limit.

As for the bar...the biggest issue that you're likely to have with a home-built bar is not in breaking the bar itself; it's in the joints. The force that you're applying to the pullup system is always going to find the weak link, which is always going to be wherever you have created a joint. Be sure that you have a pullup bar design that deals with this.

Your husband is being a lovingly paranoid knucklehead. Kiss him on the head, then buy your bands (Iron Woody are great) and get busy making sure that you have a bomber pullup bar design.

- Mark
Old 09-23-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Sarah Heath

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
You're very unlikely to break either a band or a properly-installed bar. The bands on the market are very, very strong, and you're very unlikely to come anywhere near stretching one to its limit.

As for the bar...the biggest issue that you're likely to have with a home-built bar is not in breaking the bar itself; it's in the joints. The force that you're applying to the pullup system is always going to find the weak link, which is always going to be wherever you have created a joint. Be sure that you have a pullup bar design that deals with this.

Your husband is being a lovingly paranoid knucklehead. Kiss him on the head, then buy your bands (Iron Woody are great) and get busy making sure that you have a bomber pullup bar design.

- Mark
Yes I agree that he's being loving and a knucklehead. As for the pullup design, http://http://crossfitcenturion.word...-on-the-cheap/ WFS his pullup bar is what I have in mind.

I have 2x10 floor joists I can mount it to. I'd get all technical since I'm a Draftsman, just suffice it to say that my bar would have to have one more 90 degree turn for the flanges to mount to the joists in my basement. I did have it double checked by an Engineer here at work. It should be good.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

That design looks pretty solid. Personally, I just went with the Studbar (wfs) and left design error pretty much out of the equation. Pricier than DIY for sure, but I'm fully confident in it.

- Mark
Old 09-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
John Stone

Profile:

I've had the same experiences as the others -- pullup bands won't break. I weigh 260 pounds and I do dead-hang pullups, so when I am using band assistance I am locking the band out stretched 7.5 feet. You'll break before they do.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
Jesse Gray

Profile:

I've had a few pullup bands break but never from pullups... if that helps at all! I use the bands with the rugby team I train for resisted runs. The bands get dragged, stepped on and stretched more than they ever will in a pullup capacity. I would estimate the average life of one of my bands at around 100 hours of use. When they do go, it's usually pretty fun to watch, one player goes down on his face and they other gets slapped by the band!
Old 09-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

You're more likely to get hurt by falling off the bar due to grip failure than by the bar (or band) breaking.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to keep the surface under the bar clear of hard and pointy objects. The truly paranoid (or those who also wanted to practice HSPUs) might put down a mat as well.

Katherine
Old 09-25-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
Andrew Roden

Profile:

On the pullup bar, I have a home made pipe pullup bar.
I am 275 and have kipped on it regularly for several years with no problems.
(past performance is not indicative of future results...)