CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I've been experimenting with some different carb/protein/fat ratios since my last post and i'm still not feeling optimal. I may just be impatient, but nothing seems to be working. I've been eating paleo only foods, and I continue to maintain leaness. One thing I noticed is that when I eat as much of any type of paleo foods I like I tend to eat mostly nuts and fruit with a little veggies and small portions of lean animal protein or fish. I look good and feel HEALTHY, but i just don't feel like my crossfit or athletic performance is optimal. It really sucks cause i feel like i need to trade off between health and performance, but i really want both! I think that the main cause of my supressed performance is the fact that I simply cannot eat many calories.Unless i eat salted nuts (which make me feel kinda crappy) I really can't eat any large quantity of nuts, they fill me up fast. I can pack in more calories if i limits veggies because they fill me up so fast, but then i feel like i'll be missing out on the health benefits of veggies. I'm really stuck here. Sorry to be a pain, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Greg
Old 12-11-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Greg

Do you have a time frame for how long you have been doing this style of diet now? Also what kind of body type are we working with... different people will process food slightly differently. If you have a slim build it may be that you simply need to be increasing your overall dietary intake. Perhaps some post exercise oatmeal is needed...
Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Eating fruit or a small amount of grain based foods (gasp!) is not unhealthy per say. Try the zone ratios and lighten up with the anti carb bias (don't eat junk food though). Your body will use the carbs you injest. You need to stick with diet for at least a month (preferably three).
Old 12-12-2005, 06:49 AM   #4
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
It's actually been about three. That's what's worrying me, my body just doesn't seem to be making a switch. My body type is probably half way between ecto and meso morphic. I'm skinny if I don't work out, but can put on muscle really easily when I do workout. I have no problem with eating some extra fruit, but throwing in neolithic foods just isn't my thing, i'm strict paleo. I might try experimenting with some coconut oil as it's high in fat, it's paleo, and contains lots of MCT's for fast mobilization. Do you think coconut oil is ok?
Old 12-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
How much protein/fat/carbs are you eating per day?

How do you measure progress?

How are your sleep patterns?

What's your training routine?

Any stress at the moment? Work, family, etc?

The more details, the better. As for coconut oil, it's fine, but I wouldn't use it as a primary source of fat.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #6
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
For the P/F/C ratio it's somewhere around 30%/50%/20% but varies slightly from day to day. When i was on a really high fat diet my ratios were 30%/60%/10% and most of my fat came from butter, cream, cream cheese, and coconut oil, whereas most now comes from plant fats like olive oil and nuts,seeds and nut butters. My previous diet was set up in accordance with Steve Maxwell's (BJJ champ) diet. I felt great and performed well on this diet, but Crossfit seems to dissagree with it and I know that Crossfitters are probably the most healthy people on earth, so I take Crossfits word.

I measure progress by the way I feel during a work out, and how well i'm able to recover. With paleo i feel like i recover well, but my actual performance during the workout feels to be suffering. I just don't feel like my energy levels are as high as before, and I feel like I tire out fast.

I usually get 8-9 hours of sleep a night, my sleep is good, and i feel well rested.

My training routine is the WOD as prescribed daily. On off days I like to stay active and move around a lot. I don't do any intense activities on off days but i try to just keep moving for active recovery. I feel sore if i don't move around a lot on rest days, and I think my activities on my off days definitely help my recovery.

I do have some stress due to school work because i'm in college, but I generally deal well with it. My family life is good, but i do work quite a lot. However, I like my job, so i don't think that is causing much stress. See what I'm saying? I'm just finding it hard to pinpoint what is wrong and the only thing that really has changed in my liefstyle is my diet. As much as i hate to admit it, i'm starting to think Steve Maxwell's diet is right. Sorry for not being more clear on my previous posts, hope this helps.
Greg
Old 12-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
There are so many functions that take place within our system that vary from person to person. Add certain types of food, certain amounts of food, methods of exercise, and the process become infinitely more complex.

What am I trying to say? Not everyone is going to react in the same manner with the same diet. The zone isn't the end all be all. It's a good guideline.

Bottom line, if you gave it an honest shot and your performance is suffering compared to other methods you have used, I would personally do what works. Why degrade your performance because you're trying to follow what works for someone else?
Old 12-13-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
So true Anthony, I guess i just kind get all tangled up in the conflicting ideas of different diets. Maxwell says you don't need fruits and veggies, and he eats tons of meat and fat and the dude is lean, healthy, and can kick just about anyone's *** being in his 50's. Then we've got cordain saying fruits and veggies are an absolute must, and saturated fat is bad, and he has also show promise in his diet with crossfitters being obvious evidence that you can be extremely healthy and fit eating paleo. I think I'm gonna go back with the high fat appraoch because it works really well for me. I appreciate your patient and helpful posts; Definitely helped me to realize that I was overanalyzing things.
Greg
Old 12-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
After years of watching diets come and go, I made a rule to ignore any diet with a name. However, it's pretty hard to ignore a diet when so many elite athletes (aka crossfitters) are speaking highly of it. So I'm looking into it ... with intense skepticism. ;)

Do you have a link to Steve Maxwell's diet concept? I'd be interested in seeing the differences.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
Most of the info about Steve Maxwell's diet can be found at www.dragondoor.com on the nutrition message board. Here is a link to a post that he made about diet http://forum.dragondoor.com/nutrition/message/231820/

If you use the search function you can find a lot of posts abouthow he eats. He bascially believes that man can live and actually thrive athletically on a diet of nothing but meats and animal fat. It sounds radical, but he's in incredible shape and so are his athletes that follow the same approach. I myself found that this diet really improved my health and performance when i was on it, and i will be returning to it. I believe that Steve initially picked this diet up from Greg Ellis, a doctor who has done years of research on low carb dieting.