CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Keith Foltz

Profile:
>ladies and gentlemen,
> After I graduate, which is in three years, I will be joining the armed forces, specifically the special forces. I have a question relating to this goal. 1. I have been following your WOD's with interest and excitement, but I am left with the nagging question....Will this alone prepare
me for the long hours of PT, endurance runs and swims that I face in special forces training? This is the solution I have thus far used: 1 day of a WOD style workout: short and intense, followed by an endurance run of 2-4 miles. The next day consists of a longer duration at only slightly lesser intensity, such as a moderately long (30-45 min.) PT session followed by sprints, interval running, or stair climbs. The following day would be another WOD day plus endurance training....and so on, alternating with a break on every third day. What do you think...am I overtraining....or is this a good plan? Thank you for your time.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Keith Foltz
Old 03-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Keith, let me be the first to welcome you. If you still have another 3 years of Crossfit before joining the armed forces I would say following the WOD should be enough.
Key word is should. Perhaps your swimming/running need 'some' work. You might search the board as well as the special forces topic has been discussed by current/previous active members of those type units.
Best of luck,
Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
Keith Foltz

Profile:
michael, thanks for your advice. A search didn't yield much. I hope Im searching correctly. Does anyone else have some advice?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Work the WOD 'till you drop. Practice low-intensity swims or pack walks on rest days if you feel you need it. I would NOT combine the WOD and further endurance training. Just sub some in every couple of weeks (on focus days).
Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Bob Nesbit

Profile:
Keith,

What branch of "special forces" are you interested in? For Army Special Forces I would say Crossfit will take care of the PT requirements (and then some) but it won't take care of your ability to ruck march.

Rucking is the majority of the Army SFAS and Q course. You will need to be able to carry a heavy ruck for long distances day in and day out for weeks. Toughening your feet is another key aspect.

Here is a link to the USAJFKSWCS Preparatory Training Program. I would stick with Crossfit for the PT type fitness but would incorporate the rucks and swims.

http://www.bragg.army.mil/specialforces/prepare.htm
Good luck!