CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-27-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Erik Davis

Profile:
I thought it would be nice to have a thread to talk about meal decisions when eating out. Personally, I have been trying to stick as close to the zone as possible (and have been doing a good job), and it has been easy since I haven't been doing much in terms of social outings lately. But how do you handle yourself when you go out somewhere that you wouldn't ordinarily go (olive garden, mexican food, whatever) on a date / with a group of friends? I'm sort of anal about food now that I am on the zone, to the extent that I have pretty much permanently replaced serving spoons with measuring cups. So when I go out to eat, I always feel overloaded with so many unknowns that I just get whatever I think will taste the best.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 AM   #2
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Well somehwere like the olive garden is great. Get all your carbs in 3 or 4 baskets of breadsticks and 5 helpings of free salad. Then eat half your chicken parm and take the rest home (throw out the pasta). Everywhere else I just get a good protein meal (tuna, salmon, chicken...) and don't eat any bad carbs that come with it. And watch out for bad sauces with MSG and stuff.

When you're eating out, you have to go for taste, don't waste money on a super zone friendly bland meal.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
The Zone is great at psyching people out and giving them OCD. Just eat, for pete's sake! If you go out as rarely as you say, get the best looking thing on the menu at the time, and get dessert! For me the best looking thing on the menu is usually a steak or taco salad or something mostly healthy. However, if you're talking cheaper restaurants then there's not much you can do usually - their menus are full of crap!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #4
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
I suggest picnics or dinner parties as alternatives to eating out. As a student, I don't like the idea of paying $15 for food that's not as good as home-cooked food. I don't enjoy sitting in a loud, crowded place when I could be in a friend's home. It requires more preparation, but it's time spent with friends in a much more fun and meaningful way.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Fried chicken with BBQ sauce at Buffalo Wild Wings. Very zone friendly.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
The Zone is great at psyching people out and giving them OCD. Just eat, for pete's sake!

My sentiments exactly Ben. I work/train hard enough, eating is one thing I don't want to have to stress about. Eat and ENJOY!:biggrin:
Old 07-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
Stephen Solano

Profile:
It is recommended in Mastering The Zone to eat pasta or equal every thirty days or so just to feel what it is like not to be in the zone. Just make your next meal a zone/paleo meal.

The biggest challenge for me when eating out is keeping the kids from staring at other customers.

Eat and Enjoy.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Zach Nikka

Profile:

mexican food is a nightmare for paleo eaters.....rice, beans, cheese, corn and flour tortillas.....ugh
Old 07-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Taha Mohamedali

Profile:
Actually, I like mexican restaurants. They are generally cool about subbing in stuff for you. When we do mexican, I often get the equivalent of a "burrito bowl" or taco salad or something like that, minus the rice. So I'll get the meat, extra salad, possibly some beans, some cheese and maybe even some guacamole. Very Zone Friendly!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
Here in Australia eating Kangaroo is a really good restaurant meal. It's the leanest meat you can find, tastes great and you can order it with gravy and veges. Yum.

I'll remember your suggestion about Mexican Taha, I've always struggled with that.