CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-28-2005, 05:15 PM   #1
Kris Crowley

Profile:
Today, I've let myself go wild just because there pretty much isn't any food in the house anyway.

I live in a very un-friendly zone house. My wife doesn't WANT to do the zone with me, nor is she convinced that the kids ought to eat the same way.

Anyway, I've done the zone for about a week. There hasn't been ONE day go by where I haven't cheated just a little.

Can anyone offer me advice? Every night I am starving!

That is my biggest problem.

I'm supposed to have 14 blocks a day.

So for breakfast, lunch and dinner I do four. I do a one block snack for mid-afternoon and late night, as the website suggested.

I just got Mastering The Zone in today so hopefully there will be more recipes.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 07-28-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
Brendan Melville

Profile:
You need to give it a few weeks, that's when most people who quit quit. It's the hardest ,as your body adjusts. I'm not going to lie and say you're never going to feel hungry, but you just need to listen to your body, feed it when it needs it (mine needs a little extra on those long rough days...) and most importantly discard all bad products when your wife is out of the house. The most imporant thing is that you need to NOT have those horribly yummy sweat snacks around the house, because you will eat what you have available. There's just no stopping that.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
James Falkner

Profile:
I have relatives that always want something "yummy" around (i.e. cokes, chocolate, milk duds, etc). They (the relatives) are also very helpful at babysitting duties, so I think I need to get a padlocked fridge that I do not know the combination to. That should solve things. Right now I sneak in some M&M's every once in a while :-)
Old 07-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
Erik Davis

Profile:
Just out of curiosity, how many calories would 14 blocks be?

I have been doing Zone-esque eating (even before I found this site) but usually I have a calorie goal that I hit 40/30/30.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
MEAT

MEEEEEEAAAAAT

MMEEEEEAAAGHAGHTHGHAITGAMaeeee-*gurgle*
Old 07-28-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
Jason Berger

Profile:

"I live in a very un-friendly zone house. My wife doesn't WANT to do the zone with me, nor is she convinced that the kids ought to eat the same way."

Your wife sounds like a jerk. Is she supportive at all?}
Old 07-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
Kris Crowley

Profile:
She's not a jerk, but she's not that supportive in my diet becuause she is thinking that I'm going to force it down her throat.

I guess that whole going from 260 to 187 means nothing.

We definitely buy my type of food, but when it runs short, it usually isn't bought until I'm COMPLETELY F'IN out of the crap.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
andrea nitz

Profile:  
I think you should shop for your own food. Or for that matter, do all the shopping. Then there won't be any crap in the house. I was able to take my daughter off of ADD meds because I put her on the Zone. It will be nothing but good for your kids. A lot of us Brand Xers rid our houses of sugar several months ago and have seen nothing but good results. Give it a try!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Kris Crowley

Profile:
I'd love to do that, if I wasn't already busy working 50 - 60 hours a week and trying to get my Master's at the same time.

I'll see what I can do though.

Thanks,

Kris
Old 07-29-2005, 02:59 AM   #10
Chris Longley

Profile:
Erik,

To work out your calories:

Each gram of carb = 4 calories
Each gram of protein = 4 calories
Each gram of fat = 9 calories.

1 block carb = 9 grams
1 block protein = 7 grams
1 block fat = 1.5 grams

So, for a 14 block day

Carbs = 14 x 9 x 4 = 504 calories
Protein = 14 x 7 x 4 = 392 calories
Fat = 14 x 1.5 x 9 = 189 calories
+ fat in protein source = 14 x 1.5 x 9 = 189 calories

Total = 1274 calories per day in a 40/30/30 ratio

This is an "at least" figure because of the uncounted carbs in protein sources, protein / carbs in fat sources etc.

I found my zone prescription simply wasn't enough for me and so I increased my block count and increased fat intake as well. Don't be afraid to play around with the zone - just see what happens and change accordingly.

Oh yeah, and try getting your wife to put the crap food somewhere you won't find it without having to search for it. When you DO find yourself searching for it - then you'll realise that maybe, just maybe you've got a slight sugar addiction. It's a little easier to say NO after that.