CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-29-2005, 10:56 PM   #1
Erik Davis

Profile:
As it is right now, my number one goal is to be able to do both of these exercises unassisted. Currently, I can do neither. I have access to a gravitron and currently can pull -40lb for a single and dip -20lb for a single. I weigh 205 and am 15-17% bodyfat, so there is certainly some room for improvement in body composition, though even getting single digits (which I am trying to work on as well) wouldnt be enough weight decrement to be able to do a pull up. So far my only ideas are "umm, do pull ups and dips", but I would appreciate it if anyone else had any specific details in mind. At first I thought a powerlifting style routine would be a good idea to get the strength up (but my variant of the big 3 is pull up, dip, and squat) but I haven't done anything with this. A few days ago I did a 21-15-9 alternating pull ups and dips with -70 lbs on the gravitron, finished in 17 minutes and it turned out to be more like "12 sets of 3-5" for pull ups.

Logistically I have trouble doing the WOD as planned, and in a month it is going to get alot tougher as I will be back at school, and the gym there is absolutely packed so I wont have the luxury of switching stations for WOD's very often. So really I am hoping to get my strength up so that I can do kipping pull ups on a large enough scale to at least get some crossfit going on.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:38 AM   #2
Kalen Meine

Profile:
First off- search the boards. Ths one crops up pretty often. But to reitterate, you basically need to do more pullup-ish activities. Is there a bar handy? Do hangs/supports and lockoffs (top of PU/bottom of dip for time- anything with strict rest periods is good- Tabatas may not be best for this type of work, but it's popular. Jumping pullups and foot-aided dips. And the assisted WODs. It'll happen. Patience.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:11 AM   #3
Paul Symes

Profile:
You could try doing negatives - push yourself up with your legs and then just do the negative part of the pull up in a controlled way. You could try the same with dips.

I was going to suggest pulldowns untill you can do say 110% of your body weight but assisted or negatives only would probably be better
Old 07-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #4
Scott Duff

Profile:  
Erik,

As someone who went from 0 to 5 pull-ups in the last 6 weeks. All I will say is do pull-ups and dips (assisted, negatives, whatever).

I saw a big improvement when I just started doing them. For pull-ups that meant kipping, swinging, jumping, negatives, just getting my a$$ up there.

Old 07-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
You might want to check out this link too.

http://www.tacticalathlete.com/conqueringarticle.htm
Old 07-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
Michael Hill

Profile:

Two things to consider here:

1. Do NOT go to failure on the gravitron, or any pull-up practice like jumping pull-ups. Remember that practice doesn't make perfect; it makes permanent.

2. Try a static hold in the top position. You need to hold it as high as possible, at the sternum is preferable. I found this to be more effective than negatives when I first struggled with pull-ups. Also, this can be done as added practice after the WOD because static exercises can be done after you are fatigued and have stressed the nervous system without the any deleterious effects on traing the nervous system in that movement. Oh, and hold on/ squeeze the bar as hard as you can and don't be afraid of variations like chin-ups and varying your grip.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
James R. Climer

Profile:
May I suggest losing body fat if possible?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Tanner Boyle

Profile:  
Michael,

Why do you advise against training to failure on the Gravitron?

On the subject of the Gravitron and newbies.

Unassisted I could do one whole pull-up. With a workout like Angie or Jackie where you are asked to do volumes greater than 1...

I have been setting the Gravitron to a weight where I can do some reasonable subset to failure. Resting and going again.

Is there a better way to do a pull-up like activity in lieu of Gravitron pull-ups to failure?

Old 08-04-2005, 08:13 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Do 50 pull ups a day. Do sets in warm ups and crank out 1 or 2 whenever you can. Practice makes perfect, really. Same with dips. Even if yo uhave to pull off 50 singles. Use a jump if you have to. Get off assistance as soon as you can.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #10
Allen Yeh

Profile:
This program was used by Major Charles Lewis Armstrong, USMC to prepare himself to attempt to set a world record in number of pull-ups completed in a single exercise session.

http://www.4mcd.usmc.mil/AOP/OSOHyat...%20Program.htm