CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #41
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Knuckledraggin' moron about to go philosophical:

I think the whole "politically correct/preserve one's self esteem at all costs" thing is one of the major problems with our culture, it's right up there with (and logically connected to) the whole idea that being a victim (of a dysfunctional home, of discrimination, of a genetic propensity towards obesity, etc.) relieves you of all personal responsibility and confers upon you a priveleged "victim" status and the right to special treatment.

Don't get me wrong, I am not unsympathetic with people who are victims. I genuinely feel for the people who are overweight. But the truth is that we ALL are victims of something. If you allow that something to define you, you have forfeited your freedom and your power to change your own life. You have chosen slavery to that which victimized you.

Also, if anyone reading this is overweight, don't misunderstand us. Most of us are not saying that you are a worthless failure, or that fit people are "better than you." Your worth comes from something deeper, something "intrinsic" not "extrinsic." (One of the things that I find most endearing about the crossfit community is its general acceptance of and willingness to help ANYONE who chooses to become a part of it) We all have areas of "habitual failure" in our lives, areas that could use some work, some added discipline. But for all of us, the solution lies in first realizing that our worth comes not from our success/failure in that one area with which we struggle, but from the basic human dignity that is common to all people everywhere (Ancient Christian theologians called it the "imago dei" or the image of God that is in all men). Once we realize that our worth is beyond assault or dispute, the overwhelming, paralyzing pressure to perform is off and we have the freedom to take the next step, which is to take responsibility for that area in which we struggle. When we fall, we get back up and go at it again, because we are not defined by our failure, but by that which lies inside. Success means getting up one more time than you fall down.

Okay, I will now return to the sarcastic, culturally unrefined perpetual defender of corny humor to which you have all become accustomed. Sorry.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #42
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Jim - you are most assuredly not a knuckle draging moron. Your post was very expressive of a current social theme that goes along with our instant gratification mentality that expects perks and shirks work. Pre-teens with cell phones, kids with learning permits driving a Lexus and a complete lack of respect for adults fostered by parents who are blind to the obnoxious nature of their spawn is evidence of the folly of the PC crowd's self-esteem/victimhood trump card effort.

My sister trains some people that are not quite ready for CrossFit. Her housekeeper is about 100 pounds overweight (that assumes a 160 pound goal weight) and her daughter is a 15 year old lump-o-bigness. Teri, my sister, took her out for a walk and had to walk at a casual "in-the-mall" sort of the pace. The distance was short and the pace pedestrian. The next day the housekeeper was sore and could hardly get out of bed. Here's some of the "foods" she eats:

Package of 4 butter sticks.
Bag of potato chips.
Slice off pat of butter, put it between chips, eat. Continue until chips and butter are gone.

Corn.
Mayonaise.
Parmesan cheese.
Roll corn in mayo, cover in Parmesan cheese and eat. When anyone asks what you ate, just mention the corn part.

Daughter's sandwich:
Wonder bread.
Mayonaise
Peanut Butter
Syrup
(That is correct, syrup in a sandwich because it wasn't "wet" enough)
She had two of these while her mom was cleaning the house. Mom called the sandwiches disgusting and told Teri she would never eat such things...though she lets her kid eat them.

Green bean casserole.
Fry a pound of bacon
Remove bacon
Put can of green beans in the boiling grease and cook until disgusting.
Remove beans from grease
Add milk and flour and stir
Put beans back into the grease
Cover with breadcrumbs
Serve as "vegetable" dish at Thanksgiving meal and tell everyone it's a green bean casserole.

Yes, there are people who have glandular problems and are "victims" of bad genes...but there are also fat people who are fat people because of a complete lack of discipline and are victims only to their own laziness. That website only promotes that which makes them as they are. Such an organization is in existance only to maintain its existance and anything that would identify obesity as the responsibility of the individual would threaten same.

Jim, you are absolutely correct, the whole PC thing and the protection of everyone's feelings is leading us to a society with the work ethic of a heroin addicted sloth.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #43
Troy Archie

Profile:
Your post, Eugene reminded me of my fat guy sandwhich I used to always make.
2 slices of white bread - toasted and smeared w/ butter
one fried egg
fried bacon or fried bologna
one cheese slice
one fried hash brown
Troy Archie secret sauce (mayo and BBQ sauce)

I'd have this about 5:00 AM in the morning before I went to bed after a good night of partying.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #44
Scott Kustes

Profile:
That's acceptable Troy. Everyone knows that greasy food is good for you when drunk. The alcohol has special properties that turn the grease into Omega-3.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:54 PM   #45
Erik Davis

Profile:
It's actually sort of sad to see that NAAFA exists. Maybe these people really are happy with themselves. But if they were anything like me (last year, not now) or the majority of overweight people, they are just lying to themselves and have created this organization as a defense mechanism.

All I can say is, I feel INFINITELY better now that I am healthy. I wasnt nearly as fat as the people in the pictures, but it was still not what I wanted to be, once I started being truthful about what I really wanted. I just wish those people would come to grips with themselves. If they really want to make an effort to be overweight, then fine, at least they have a goal in mind. But I doubt that is the case.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #46
Rene Renteria

Profile:
It is like a whole nation in group denial...

How true that is! Many are so far into denial that they no longer realize it is something they have control over.

My sister is in town, and we and a group of friends went out to a nice restaurant (Shanghai 1930, downtown San Francisco, yummy Chinese food). I was avoiding the rice and was asked about that. I mentioned being on a diet (that was the mistake, calling the Zone a "diet") and avoiding rice, pasta, beans, bread, and the like.

"Diet? You don't need to be on a diet!"

"Why do you think that is?"

No lightbulbs switched on.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:50 AM   #47
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Rene, I have realized in the last few months that I cannot refer to my zone eating habbits as a diet. People think I'm starving myself or something when I say it's a diet. Several people told me I should stop the diet because it's unhealthy to not have any fat...

I used to be overweight, so I know about the low self-esteem thing. What parents, teachers, authority figures don't realize is that being overweight is the thing that lowers self-esteem, and to know that someone recognizes it, and is trying to help you, and that there is a way to get healthy again is the ultimate self-esteem booster. Not talking about it is stupid, do they not know they are overweight? Do they like it, or do they feel bad about it all the time. I was the latter, I don't know about what other people are. I just can't wait until I am older so I can help the next generation in a way that the current mentor population seems to be forgetting.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:50 AM   #48
Stephen Thrasher

Profile:  
Maybe "nutrition plan" would work better. At 5'11" 160 lb skinny, I eat my almonds and fish oil surreptitiously.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:08 AM   #49
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Eug,
That was the single most disgusting post I have seen in ages.
Although the potato chip/butter snack could be "Zone Perfect" if done correctly.

Back on topic: Rene's experience is what I go through everytime I eat a sandwich with no bread. "Are you doing Atkins again?" Me: "No, I just don't eat bread, noodles, rice, and potatoes." Yeah, it gets tiring. But, I really don't mind so much as long as people complement me on my astounding fitness and overall healthy glow.

It never happens.

In a related note, found this on T-Nation. The site is actually quite good.
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=703DD7CBDB15C7B1549385F6E0 AB49D2 .hydra?id=700784
Old 07-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #50
John Walsh

Profile:
Eug,

I just threw up in my mouth. That's too ghetto even for me. It sounds like something a grizzly bear eats out of a trash can. These are people that have simply given up.:crazy: