CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Ted Williams

Profile:
Well, after my 2 weeks off on vacation I seem to have gained some fat. Its rather odd, since I didn't really eat that differently, and I did some workouts while I was gone. Mix that with swimming and kayaking and hiking...like I said, I'm surprised.

Anyhow, this along with feeling really tired recently (not enough sleep...) has prompted me to buy two Zone books and give it a good go for the next 3 months or so. I figure 3 months is a good trial run to see how I do.

I bought A Week in the Zone and The Zone...they seemed like good starters.

Any tips? I'm going to go through the archives tonight when I get home, but wondered if anyone has tips in the mean time?

Ted
Old 08-10-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
1) Remember to subtract the fiber from the carbohydrate total when trying to figure out how much is needed for a block.

2) When it comes to carb blocks, try to eat as paleo as possible and as fibrous as possible. I've found that with this way you'll have to stuff yourself to get the required amount of food in order to make a block, which will make the initial change over to the zone a lot easier plus who doesn't like stuffing themselves with food? Example, one block of romaine lettuce is 10 cups; that’s a lot of lettuce.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Pick a few quick and easy recipies that are Zone based and be sure to have all of the ingredients handy. Make them a couple of times so they become second nature. Either take them from the books or make up your own.

This way you`ll always have those quick and easy recipies handy when `life`gets in the way. On the days that you have time, experiment with new meals. Before you know it you`ll be eating Zone based meals without having to do a bunch of calculations.

Also, make sure that you have some easy to prepare snacks. I keep lots of skim milk around since it is one part protein and one part carb. When I`m in a rush I just down the milk and grab some almonds to add my fat requirements.

Good luck.