CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Jeff Yan

Profile:
make me a (nutritional) salad!

Manhattan abounds with delis/cafes that allow you to create your own salad from an assortment toppings.

Typically, you pick base (romaine, mixed greens, baby spinach), a protein, and then 3-5 more toppings.

Usually I go with broccoli and kidney beans since they seem to contain higher fiber and protein than most other options.

What would you recommend to create a salad with the biggest payoff for a CrossFitter?

Also, any recommendations for dressing? ("No dressing" doesn't count.)

edit: Too bad I can't change the title. "Nutritious" would have been a more approrpriate word choice.

Last edited by Jeff Yan; 01-31-2008 at 11:34 AM..
Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: make me a (nutritional) salad!

I'm increasingly fussy about my protein sources. I don't like to eat industrially raised meats or farm-raised fish. So when I eat out, I usually order ocean fish.

When I am on the run, I take either foil-packaged wild salmon or a can of sardines with me for my protein, no refrigeration required. If you are taking your salad back to some workplace with you, you can do that, too.

Otherwise, I'd stick to plain tuna or turkey from the bar for protein or even hardboiled eggs; choose the darkest greens available, pick an array of colorful veggies, and top with olive oil and vingegar. (If you are carting this masterpiece back to your workplace, keep your own oil and vinegar around as well)

Since the protein sources are the most expensive (by weight) by carrying your own salmon/sardines/tuna you are also saving $$$.

Susie
Old 01-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Becca Borawski

Profile:

This is my "go to" 3 block Zone salad --

6 cups greens, 2 Tbsp dried cranberries, 1 Tbsp crushed walnuts, 4.5oz feta cheese, 2 Tbsp balsamic vinaigrette

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Oliver Gould

Profile:

My all time favorite (keep in mind I'm on 2 blocks fat):

4 Cups Spinach
3/4 Cup Chick Peas
1 Cup Tomato
5 oz. of flaked, canned wild salmon
1/2 avocado (5 Tbps.)
2 Tsp. Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Vinegar (balsamic works best)

The avocado and the olive oil sort of melt together and make a nice dressing despite their low volume. The whole thing is delicious, requires no cooking and keeps well.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I went w/ spinach, broccoli, black beans, turkey and a very little bit of raspberry vinaigrette yesterday.

Today I had spinach, broccoli, chick peas, sliced almonds, chicken breast and a little honey mustard.

Some of the most brutal salads I've eaten have included grilled chicken breast, tuna, kidney beans, raw broccoli, some other meat, some other boring vegetable and a little Italian. It's gaggingly dry and heavy once you get to the end (all the leaves get eaten first, leaving nothing but the beans and meats that settle at the bottom).
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Xuan Mai Ho

Profile:

I usually like grilled chicken, artichoke hearts, olives, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, hard boiled egg and...sometimes bacon. Oh, and balsamic vinaigrette.

Of course, the last time I got this salad at the Pax near the Box, it cost me around $10!!!! Oof!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Sarena Kopciel just refered me to a salad resource page on Mark's Daily Apple:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ultimate-salad-recipe/ (wfs)

It has a lot of what I was looking for, but it also brings up a few more questions and comments.

Like why are beans considered only occasionally add-ins? Same with cottage cheese for that matter?

I also wish there could be a rough ranking within the classifications as well. For instance, generally wouldn't it be preferable to take something like asparagus over cucumber, if you could only pick one? My reasoning is that most people probably don't eat a lot of asparagus on a regular basis, especially in relation to the more common and easily found cucumber, which I don't believe packs a particularly huge nutritional punch (I could be wrong). Under this same reasoning, I rarely order tomatoes with my salad since I can easily get them elsewhere (in tomato sauce, in ketchup, in my Whopper, etc.)

There's also a comment I'd like to make concerning the protein choices. Deli meats are specifically recommended against. I have a feeling that the turkey served at most of these deli/cafe/salad bars is somewhat processed. That is, unlike the grilled chicken breasts, the turkey meat mostly doesn't look like it's often prepared in-house. I have a feeling that these places get their turkey delivered in plastic-wrap, making their sodium and preservative contents questionable. Does anybody have any further insight on this?

And going back to my original post, how would you rank the following salad bases: romaine, mixed green, baby spinach?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Jeff: a lot of folks have concerns about beans as containing some degree of "anti-nutrients" . . . Google "lectin" (here, and generally) to learn more.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Jeff: a lot of folks have concerns about beans as containing some degree of "anti-nutrients" . . . Google "lectin" (here, and generally) to learn more.
My next salad will not contain beans. Good. I'm sick of eating that crap.

edit:
I just did 3 minutes of extra searching and it seems that thoroughly cooking beans takes care of the lectin problem somewhat (it removes some, but not all). Since I've never had nausea from eating beans, does that mean that I'm safe? Does this question deserve it's own thread?

Last edited by Jeff Yan; 02-07-2008 at 07:35 PM..
Old 02-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
Sarena Kopciel just refered me to a salad resource page on Mark's Daily Apple:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ultimate-salad-recipe/ (wfs)

It has a lot of what I was looking for, but it also brings up a few more questions and comments.

Like why are beans considered only occasionally add-ins? Same with cottage cheese for that matter?

I also wish there could be a rough ranking within the classifications as well. For instance, generally wouldn't it be preferable to take something like asparagus over cucumber, if you could only pick one? My reasoning is that most people probably don't eat a lot of asparagus on a regular basis, especially in relation to the more common and easily found cucumber, which I don't believe packs a particularly huge nutritional punch (I could be wrong). Under this same reasoning, I rarely order tomatoes with my salad since I can easily get them elsewhere (in tomato sauce, in ketchup, in my Whopper, etc.)

There's also a comment I'd like to make concerning the protein choices. Deli meats are specifically recommended against. I have a feeling that the turkey served at most of these deli/cafe/salad bars is somewhat processed. That is, unlike the grilled chicken breasts, the turkey meat mostly doesn't look like it's often prepared in-house. I have a feeling that these places get their turkey delivered in plastic-wrap, making their sodium and preservative contents questionable. Does anybody have any further insight on this?

And going back to my original post, how would you rank the following salad bases: romaine, mixed green, baby spinach?
Glad to be of help there! By the way, I would say mixed greens and or spinach are better than romaine since they are darker and have more chloropyll but I am just guessing!