CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Robert Boyd
Member Robert Boyd is offline
 
Robert Boyd's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fort Carson  CO
Posts: 112
Post Paleo Beverages

Im a paleo newb and while the diet is easy follow i have noticed that most of the things i used to drink, soda and sports drinks, arent paleo friendly. Ive been drinking grape juice, orange juice, and v8 but i know these are still processed and not really the best alternative so my question is.

What do paleo people drink?
__________________
The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted. D.H. Lawrence
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Jay Cohen
Member Jay Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sharpsville  PA
Posts: 3,384
Re: Paleo Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Boyd View Post
Im a paleo newb and while the diet is easy follow i have noticed that most of the things i used to drink, soda and sports drinks, arent paleo friendly. Ive been drinking grape juice, orange juice, and v8 but i know these are still processed and not really the best alternative so my question is.

What do paleo people drink?
Olive Oil, water, coffee, not in that order.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #3
Frederic Giraud
Affiliate Frederic Giraud is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal  Quebec
Posts: 722
Re: Paleo Beverages

water ( a bit less then 6L a day )

On the rocks alcool at parties, 1 glass of alcool 1 glass of water ratio

1 coffee or tea when waking up

Forget about all those juices, If you have a machine ( sorry i dont remember the actual term) to make juice from fresh veggies/fruits I'm pretty sure it's ok, and you can do some crazy good mix, and it taste so good.

Of course, on chet meals/day a lemonade or a coconut nectar are sometimes drunk :P
__________________
www.crossfitundo.com
"The results are in the intensity. The magic is in the movement. The art is in the programming."
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Garrett Smith
Member Garrett Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 2,264
Re: Paleo Beverages

Herbal tea, green tea, white tea, at restaurants I'll have black tea. No sweetener.

Coffee in the AM. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove are added for their insulin-sensitizing properties.

Water (I prioritize herbal tea for what I have observed are better hydrating properties and the electrolytes).

For alcohol, when I do partake, I choose from:
Apple cider
Gluten-free beer (I actually like RedBridge)
Wine (organic Five Hills Blue from TJ's, trying to get sulfite-free)
Tequila (Patron and up in quality, no Cuervo), this is my preference, no sugar, on the rocks with two lime wedges
Mead

Kombucha and kefir for the probiotics.

Sometimes I have raw goat's milk.

Note this was not put in priority order...
__________________
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Saliva, Blood, and Stool Testing
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Jay Cohen
Member Jay Cohen is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sharpsville  PA
Posts: 3,384
Re: Paleo Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Herbal tea, green tea, white tea, at restaurants I'll have black tea. No sweetener.

Coffee in the AM. Cinnamon, nutmeg, clove are added for their insulin-sensitizing properties.

Water (I prioritize herbal tea for what I have observed are better hydrating properties and the electrolytes).

For alcohol, when I do partake, I choose from:
Apple cider
Gluten-free beer (I actually like RedBridge)
Wine (organic Five Hills Blue from TJ's, trying to get sulfite-free)
Tequila (Patron and up in quality, no Cuervo), this is my preference, no sugar, on the rocks with two lime wedges
Mead

Kombucha and kefir for the probiotics.

Sometimes I have raw goat's milk.

Note this was not put in priority order...
Dr. G;
I just googled Mead! Where do you find/buy at?
Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
Garrett Smith
Member Garrett Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 2,264
Re: Paleo Beverages

I get mead from the typically higher-end liquor stores, it's usually kept next to the wine (and in similar bottles as well). A couple phone calls should be enough to find some in your area...
__________________
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Saliva, Blood, and Stool Testing
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Garrett Smith
Member Garrett Smith is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 2,264
Re: Paleo Beverages

Also, homemade lemonade:

Fill 32 oz. container with ice
Add juice from two lemons
35 drops of Body Ecology brand stevia
Fill remaining container with water
Mix and drink.

Obviously one will have to adjust the stevia based upon their tastes and the brand they use.

Tasty, no extra sugar on top of what's in the lemon juice, electrolytes, what else do you need? Actually, it really works well on my sugar cravings when I do get them (rarely, I'm more of a salt craver).
__________________
RepairRecoverRestore.com - Saliva, Blood, and Stool Testing
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
William Hunter
Member William Hunter is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rome  GA
Posts: 967
Re: Paleo Beverages

Water, coffee.................................Patron on the rocks with the limage.

In that order.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Sarena Kopciel
Member Sarena Kopciel is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Monsey  NY
Posts: 2,042
Re: Paleo Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
Also, homemade lemonade:

Fill 32 oz. container with ice
Add juice from two lemons
35 drops of Body Ecology brand stevia
Fill remaining container with water
Mix and drink.

Obviously one will have to adjust the stevia based upon their tastes and the brand they use.



Tasty, no extra sugar on top of what's in the lemon juice, electrolytes, what else do you need? Actually, it really works well on my sugar cravings when I do get them (rarely, I'm more of a salt craver).
Dr. G, why the Body Ecology stevia? Are the other brands cool to use as well? Also have you seen these flavored stevias yet
http://www.steviasmart.com/stclfl.html
w/f/s

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
David Aguasca
Member David Aguasca is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nyack  NY
Posts: 828
Re: Paleo Beverages

water, olive oil.

am i the only one who has their tequila (make sure it's 100% de agave!) straight up?
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have Paleo Diet for Athletes; Need Paleo Diet Also? Brad Davis Nutrition 3 07-22-2007 09:22 PM
PALEO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jakub Kruhlik Nutrition 2 06-08-2007 12:45 PM
New to Paleo Steven L Blondeau Nutrition 4 03-27-2007 08:42 AM
Carbonated beverages bad? James Falkner Nutrition 6 05-25-2005 09:03 AM
Paleo Roy Nutrition 16 09-15-2003 10:32 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:44 PM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.