CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
Ros Hilbz

Profile:
*3 whole eggs/1 piece fruit

*Pre W/O- Brown rice/chicken/vegetables

*Post W/O- Whey Protein/2 pieces fruit

*Tuna Mayo

*100g Almonds

*Salmon/Vegetables/Olive oil

*Natural Peanut Butter(trying to find a replacement)

Any ideas? I am on a strict budget so find it hard to get variation in my diet. Eating this day to day get's a little boring.

What do you do to make your diets more interesting?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:37 PM   #2
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Eat during wods.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
Kristin Hoppe

Profile:
Buy different cuts of meat and learn to prepare them differently. Beef: you can stew it, broil it, saute it, braise it, grill it, fry it, roast it, bbq it, make a soup.

Use different flavored herbs, oils, sauces, etc. Go down the ethnic aisle in the grocery store. With appropriate veggie choices you can create a dozen completely different meals from the same bag of chicken breasts.

Buy odd vegetables and look recipes for them up on the internet.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
Trader Joe's, has some great nut butters so you can 86 the peanut butter.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Scott Parker

Profile:
yeah, i second the trader joes nut butters! i am currently hooked on the cashew/macadamia. at whole foods it would be more than $10 a jar probably, but there it's like $4. more than peanut butter, but way better for you.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Gerhard Lavin

Profile:
Learn to cook. Buy some cheap second hand cook book from Amazon or elsewhere. And as Kristin said mix it up and flavour it. This will also provide health benefits. A greater range of nutrients and antioxidants.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Kristin Hoppe

Profile:
I think Alton Brown (sfw) is a genius at explaining cooking technique, history and theory for normal people. Granted his recipes aren't exactly paleo-Zone friendly, but he has awesome props.

His books and DVDs are available all over the internets. Google will show you the way.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Laura Patefield

Profile:
I can see where those meals can get a little old. For breakfast I like to have 3/4 c or 183 g. 2% cottage cheese, 3/4c or 94g frozen mixed berries topped with 1 tbsp. of slivered almonds and one packet of splenda (I like it sweet!) It's very tasty and you feel like your splurging! I usually do some sort of a sandwich at lunch. Sara Lee makes a great low carb bread and dinner is usually some sort of lean meat and veggies. I actually have some pretty good recipes for dinner ie: fish or chicken tacos, taco salad, turkey burgers, chicken parmesan, stir fry. Let me know if you are interested in any and I will post it. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
Ros Hilbz

Profile:
Yes please laura that would be great!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
Laura Patefield

Profile:
I typically eat a 3 block meal so you may need to add accordingly if you do 4 or 5 blocks. For stir fry I use 4.5 oz. shrimp or 4 oz. chicken (both weighed raw). 5 asparagus cut into 1" pieces, 70 grms sliced red or green pepper, 91 g. broccoli, 112 g yellow and/or green squash, 56 g of sliced onion and 55 g. snap peas. Saute it up in 1 tsp. olive oil and Pam olive oil spray. when just about done add 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 1 tbsp. rice vinegar and 1 tsp. sesame oil. If I'm using shrimp I add that right before the sauce since it tends to cook very fast. This is awesome!
Dijon Chicken: 4 oz. raw chicken, 1tbsp. flour, salt, pepper, 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, olive oil cook spray, 1/4 c. chicken broth, 1 diced garlic clove, 1 tbsp. dijon mustard, 1/2 can sliced mushrooms, drained and dried thyme. pound chicken flat and coat both sides w/ the flour, salt and pepper mixture. spray skillet w/ pam and add olive oil to skillet. cook chicken to done, remove and keep warm. add broth to skillet, heat to boiling, stir in mustard and mushrooms. cook 2-3 minutes until thickened. Poor over chicken and sprinkle with dried thyme. serve with steamed broccoli ( 2 cups/182 g.) for a 3 block I still need 6 more grams of carbs which I usually make up with some fruit for dessert.
I'll add more recipes later today!