CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Rob Brown

Profile:
Question can I get your thoughts on gloves?

Hitting the brain trust for some info about yourselves!

I am about to start a product development cycle for a line of gloves. Specifically, a glove with enhanced traction, suitable for trail and obstacle running, as well as an additional lighter glove suitable for pullups, mild rope work, that conforms to CrossFit competition standards.

------------

>> Have you ever found yourself wanting a glove during CF, if so why?

>> Do you consider yourself as having a lot of CF gear, hand wraps, etc.?

>> For $40 Would you choose, "Sturdy but more durable" or "Light for performance".

>> If it could be proven that a piece of equipment would help you PR would you get it; even if you previously thought it was corny?

------------

Thank you guys and gals so much for the moment of time.
Cheers,
Rob
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
David Patton

Profile:
Re: can I get your thoughts on gloves?

No

No

None of the listed choices.

No
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

-- Only when I have a bad hand tear and doing something high-rep on a pullup bar. At this point though, my hands are in good enough shape that they haven't torn in quite awhile.

-- Could be considered "CF gear" but most of it was gotten for the sake of weightlifting pursuits - lifting shoes, wrist wraps, belt, knee sleeves.

-- Honestly, wouldn't choose between either of those for 40 bucks. Maybe closer to 20? I think a more relevant problem with gloves is getting a more natural grip feel.

-- Generally depends how the equipment is "helping." Extra support is nice, but not something that goes overboard to help. Example of a belt while squatting as opposed to squat suit.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Guillermo Sander

Profile:

Rope climbs (to slide down) and something thin to protect hand tears in T2B

No

$40!!!! that is pricey. It would have to be bullet proof, so light that it will not add with to the pull up bar (small hands), odor free and cool looking... and I would still have to think about it.

Equipment helps by protecting and supporting PR's still require work
Old 08-27-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

Rope climbs, pulls, tire flips

No im definitely a minimalist because of budget

If you want me to spend $40 on gloves they better last a lifetime.

Depends on how it helps. If it helps too much, like a corked bat, then the PR is meanigless
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Cristina Shorts

Profile:

>> Yes, to keep my hands from tearing, and to be able to keep training once I have a tear

>> I have tried 3 pair of gloves and a pair of gymnastics grips, so yes kind of.

>> Sturdy/durable

>> Yes, if it was legal for competition.

Side note - the problem I have with gloves is that they make my hands so sweaty, my skin gets even softer and tears very easily...so I would be looking for something that combatted this issue.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Rob Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
-- Only when I have a bad hand tear and doing something high-rep on a pullup bar. At this point though, my hands are in good enough shape that they haven't torn in quite awhile.

-- Could be considered "CF gear" but most of it was gotten for the sake of weightlifting pursuits - lifting shoes, wrist wraps, belt, knee sleeves.

-- Honestly, wouldn't choose between either of those for 40 bucks. Maybe closer to 20? I think a more relevant problem with gloves is getting a more natural grip feel.

-- Generally depends how the equipment is "helping." Extra support is nice, but not something that goes overboard to help. Example of a belt while squatting as opposed to squat suit.

Jeff, at a $20 dollar price point would you be upset if the gloves were not good for rope sliding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Patton View Post
No

No

None of the listed choices.

No
David, can you picture yourself ever being 'talked into' gloves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo Sander View Post
Rope climbs (to slide down) and something thin to protect hand tears in T2B

No

$40!!!! that is pricey. It would have to be bullet proof, so light that it will not add with to the pull up bar (small hands), odor free and cool looking... and I would still have to think about it.

Equipment helps by protecting and supporting PR's still require work
Guillermo, if a glove was $20 but the manufacturer guaranteed a great grip feel, but had to dissuade rope sliding, would you think about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Lichtenwalner View Post
Rope climbs, pulls, tire flips

No im definitely a minimalist because of budget

If you want me to spend $40 on gloves they better last a lifetime.

Depends on how it helps. If it helps too much, like a corked bat, then the PR is meanigless
Cody, A. What do you think is a fair price for a glove that only lasts a couple seasons. B. Two equal people do pullups. One was able to do 10% more due to a gear advantage in a normal WOD. Is that cheating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina Shorts View Post
>> Yes, to keep my hands from tearing, and to be able to keep training once I have a tear

>> I have tried 3 pair of gloves and a pair of gymnastics grips, so yes kind of.

>> Sturdy/durable

>> Yes, if it was legal for competition.

Side note - the problem I have with gloves is that they make my hands so sweaty, my skin gets even softer and tears very easily...so I would be looking for something that combatted this issue.
Cristina, Could you ever picture yourself buying a glove for just one competition if you knew it would give you everything you wanted?

Again, thank you so much for your answers!! They are extremely enlightening.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Cody Lichtenwalner

Profile:

2 seasons? For me and the amount I use gloves $20. But that's me and how much I use them. If I found a glove that replaced chalk for mu pu ttb and could stand up to burpees and handstand walks on blacktop or concrete etc and they lasted 2 seasons then probably your $40 price point makes sense. But replacing chalk is a near impossible feat since once sweat builds up inside the glove and it starts to rub, blister city.

Its not cheating if the advantage was grip alone. But if the glove reached down and grabbed my *** and pulled my chin over the bar then yes
Old 08-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #9
Jason Newland

Profile:

I've never been a fan of gloves. Tried them...hated them. I did consider them when I saw them being provided for the athletes at the 2013 Games events, but then just about every single event, I saw people taking them off in frustration. They seemed to be more of a pain/hindrance than anything.

The closest thing that I have to a pair of gloves are these gymnastic grips from Rogue.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-gymnastics-grips.phpYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE
Old 08-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Rob Brown

Profile:

You guys and I have fairly the same assessment about gloves.

There are none I like.

We started RnD, and I've worked with 20 odd pairs, some of which have okay grip, some have decent purchase to your palm and fingers, some are thin enough to keep from being a hindrance, some fit well, and some are strong enough for rope sliding.. But none, do all of that.

Should there be a glove that fulfilled all of those tasks it would be a hit. I do have a strong sense that a decent balance may be possible within a fair budget, but it will not be easy.

This is why I am very appreciative for anyone sounding in on this thread positive or negative.