CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #1
Jose Sanchez

Profile:
Actual Weight of Kettlebells

Has anyone actually weighted there kettlebells? If so, have you seen a big difference of actual weight to the stamped weight? Reason I ask, I just purchased a few bells and one felt light compared to my friends Dragon Door KB, I decided to weigh all my new KBs. Here are my results:
Weight = Actual Weight
53lber = 51lbs
44lber = 43 3/4
35lber = 34 1/2
26lber = 26 1/2
18lber = 17 1/4
I want to bring this up with the supplier but first wanted to see if weight inconsistencies like this were normal. I think the 53lber is off by too much. Has anyone returned KBs because of the same scenario?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:
Re: Actual Weight of Kettlebells

Are you sure your scale isn't off/inconsistent?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Derek Delvecchio

Profile:

I weighed my 35lb Again Faster kettlebell and it was exact. 35lbs on the money. What kind of kettlebells are you using?

Last edited by Derek Delvecchio : 04-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

That's actually more accurate than I would have expected for a forged product. Even machined steel products like barbells are often off by quite a bit more.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Allen Jones View Post
Are you sure your scale isn't off/inconsistent?
It does balance out but that is a possibility, I will try another scale this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
That's actually more accurate than I would have expected for a forged product. Even machined steel products like barbells are often off by quite a bit more.
I would have not thought o that. I'd hope a company would try to get their product at the least within 1/2 a pound. I think that is a lot of leeway.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Delvecchio View Post
I weighed my 35lb Again Faster kettlebell and it was exact. 35lbs on the money. What kind of kettlebells are you using?
Sorry I don't want to put it out there until I'm am positive of the actual weights. I want to make sure I do not make a brand look bad because of my mistake. So I will weigh them on a few scales first.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
David Kiesling

Profile:

Some companies will guarantee kbs and other types of weights within a certain range. But that sometimes means they have to check each one individually, adding to the cost.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Yes and no. It depends on the product you are purchasing. Some products have very strict weight tolerances, while other do not. If you buy some cheap CAP kettlebells on amazon, then don't be expecting high quality. If you go to Dicks and get a barbell, maybe bring your scale with you (assuming no packaging)?

You bring up barbells... http://www.repfitness.com/weightlift...-nexgen-hd-bar WFS "One overriding theme with our new bars is "consistency". We guarantee that every bar from every production lot will stay within our very strict tolerance guidelines. Also, all bars will be calibrated to their exact weights with only a deviation of +/-0.5%. No other barbell supplier can give this guarantee. " Bumpers are similar too.

As for kettlebells - you have to go gravity casted if you want a super high quality kettlebell. I've never seen a finish nearly as good as gravity cast from both the perfectly flat bottoms to the weight tolerances. And when you compare price to a dragondoor, it is an easy choice - http://www.repfitness.com/conditioning/kettlebells WFS (blue/black)

That being said, I'm not surprised your kettlebells were off by that much. It seems like your 18lb and 53lb kettlebells were the only ones that had any significant leeway on the scale. I'd also use a very accurate scale when measuring those. Bring them to your local grocer and put them on the meat scale okok, but in all seriousness, that is something to consider. Not many people unwrap their present and think... "hmm, let me weigh these"... but I've seen equipment off by quite a bit, especially hi temps. If I had a small set and didn't belong to a gym, I'd weigh everything. Even if you have a few lbs less on the bar, at least you can label them and balance out the weights on each side of the bar. It wouldn't matter to much on certain lifts, but strict press or bench it would to me.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Jon Hanover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
Some companies will guarantee kbs and other types of weights within a certain range. But that sometimes means they have to check each one individually, adding to the cost.
You're absolutely right. Some companies think of it like this.... ok... so I have to pay more to make sure these are within X% or I can just send out a few replacements for people who REALLY care and ACTUALLY check. Ends up being cheaper to probably hope that most are accurate, and the number that are not accurate don't end up in hands of people that check.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Derek Delvecchio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Sanchez View Post
Sorry I don't want to put it out there until I'm am positive of the actual weights. I want to make sure I do not make a brand look bad because of my mistake. So I will weigh them on a few scales first.
Ohh yeah didn't think about that sorry that makes sense. The 53lber being off 2lbs would be the only one that would bug me.