CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Matt Thomas
Banned Matt Thomas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 3,648
Re: Sandbag training

No I'm just wondering why the link to their website had to be deleted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
Vickie Ellickson
Member Vickie Ellickson is offline
 
Vickie Ellickson's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Spokane  WA
Posts: 2,549
Re: Sandbag training

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Thanks, Adam. I have to admit, at nearly $100 less when it's all said and done, the Muscle Driver bag is pretty tempting... Do you think it'd be able to fit one large bag and two medium bags?
I have a MuscleDriver bag as well and made my own filler bags to save $$. I was skeptical, but have had no issues with double bagged industrial garbage bags and plenty of duct tape. The only problem I really have is that I'm not using much weight, so my bag is a bit uneven and awkward to work with on overhead movements (presses, thrusters, etc).

I love the MD outer bag though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Adam Dunn
Member Adam Dunn is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Navarre  FL
Posts: 138
Re: Sandbag training

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Thanks, Adam. I have to admit, at nearly $100 less when it's all said and done, the Muscle Driver bag is pretty tempting... Do you think it'd be able to fit one large bag and two medium bags?
Yea man, that's why I went with the MDUSA bag. It was priced right and I liked the handles that make it more versatile. When you buy an outer bag it comes with 3 filler bags and you can get whatever ones you want. I got 3 large ones because hell, you can always fill them less full but if I wanted heavier and had gotten smaller bags you'd be SOL. Takes a little work on the scale but NBD. I thought about using the filler bags on their own for handle-less work since they're pretty tough and well sealed by a double-row of velcro; might due that in the future.

My main complaint is that the main bag is just a touch small to actually fit a full 85lbs of sand in there. Then again there are more beastly bags out there from Rogue and etc. but they were way more expensive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
David Z Sachs
Member David Z Sachs is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Antonio  TX
Posts: 106
Re: Sandbag training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dunn View Post
Yea man, that's why I went with the MDUSA bag. It was priced right and I liked the handles that make it more versatile. When you buy an outer bag it comes with 3 filler bags and you can get whatever ones you want. I got 3 large ones because hell, you can always fill them less full but if I wanted heavier and had gotten smaller bags you'd be SOL. Takes a little work on the scale but NBD. I thought about using the filler bags on their own for handle-less work since they're pretty tough and well sealed by a double-row of velcro; might due that in the future.

My main complaint is that the main bag is just a touch small to actually fit a full 85lbs of sand in there. Then again there are more beastly bags out there from Rogue and etc. but they were way more expensive.
Can I ask how it holds up? I was planning on making the purchase soon, but I've read some amazon news about the zipper breaking fairly quickly... but it's also reviews from amazon users. I take care of my equipment, so assuming I do so... think it'd hold up? I just need it for 2 months really
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #15
Matt Thomas
Banned Matt Thomas is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orlando  FL
Posts: 3,648
Re: Sandbag training

I have a large sandbag. I can't remember exactly where I bought it from, but it's similar to the MD one. I THINK I bought it from Rogue before they started selling their own Rogue bags.

Anyways the bag has held up very well. No problems with the seems, the zipper or the handles.

I will also say that I have made two of my own sandbags in the past and neither has held up. I busted the seems on both fairly quickly and one of them was supposed to be a milspec duffle bag. I do all the same stuff with my real sandbag and so far no problems.

Building your own, as with any DIY equipment, might be cheaper, but only if you don't have to build it several times.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
Adam Dunn
Member Adam Dunn is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Navarre  FL
Posts: 138
Re: Sandbag training

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z Sachs View Post
Can I ask how it holds up? I was planning on making the purchase soon, but I've read some amazon news about the zipper breaking fairly quickly... but it's also reviews from amazon users. I take care of my equipment, so assuming I do so... think it'd hold up? I just need it for 2 months really
I haven't had the chance to do a ton of sand bag work yet but the bag has been great so far. I'll post again if I ever have a problem with it but so far so good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 AM   #17
Gary Butterfield
Member Gary Butterfield is offline
 
Gary Butterfield's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Leeds  England
Posts: 80
Re: Sandbag training

I've made a couple of my own in the past and they've always lasted at least 12-15 months each before they wore out, and I don't go lightly on them either. There's a great article on the CrossFit Journal that explains how to make them at low cost. You're right though, if you're just gonna use a normal bag to make them, then they're gonna wear out pretty quickly, but if you spend that little bit more you can get a good quality bag for a fraction of the price. I get my bags from my closest military surpluss store, their stuff is built to last and they only cost around 6! I could make a heavy one for a maximum of 20, after all, the main thing you're spending your money on is the Rogue brand name.
__________________
"Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted" - David Bly
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding Strength in Sandbag Training Aidan Macdonald Fitness 8 04-11-2010 01:37 AM
Sandbag training Robert Dobo Exercises 6 05-17-2006 12:41 PM
Sandbag training PDF- throws? joseph elberti CrossPit 4 03-24-2006 01:58 PM
New sandbag Bob Long Equipment 5 01-07-2005 05:04 AM
Sandbag mile Bob Long Fitness 8 10-03-2004 04:06 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.