CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Max Rosenthal

Profile:
Easing into VFFs/POSE - intermediate shoe?

I'm loooooong overdue for a new pair of shoes and I've just started trying to change my running style to a forefoot strike. In a perfect world I'd go and buy VFFs, but I'm pretty sure with what passes for my running technique right now I would end up with some very hurt legs (also not sure if they're authorized PT attire at that). What I'm looking for is a kind of intermediate shoe that would be more conducive to POSE-style running but still forgiving of my mistakes as I try to change my technique. I don't know if Nike Frees or some other shoe would fit this bill, but if anyone has advice on this front, it would be useful. Anyone gone through a similar transition?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Brian Degenaro

Profile:
Re: Easing into VFFs/POSE - intermediate shoe?

Just get them and SLOWLY work into the running. You don't need to get an intermediate shoe, that's money spent somewhere else.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you can't get away with VFFs for unit PT, some Asics or Puma or Adidas flats are good choices. I'm a fan of Puma K Streets myself.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Max Rosenthal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If you can't get away with VFFs for unit PT, some Asics or Puma or Adidas flats are good choices. I'm a fan of Puma K Streets myself.
Do you find that these have enough cushion to make up for crap running technique? I'm wondering because I have a feeling it's going to take me a while to get things right.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

They're all flat and have almost no cushioning, which is what you want if you're trying to learn POSE or something resembling it. Anything with significant cushioning will just allow you to continue using sloppy technique. Wearing flat shoes will force you to run more efficiently, because you won't be able to get away with the heel strike you've gotten used to with SHOX or Air Max or Asics Gel or whatnot. Just ease into it and focus on taking shorter strides at a faster cadence, impacting on your forefoot (not toes) and allowing your heels to just barely skim the ground on each stride.

I've heard INOV-8s are a good in-between shoe...you can probably find a few threads discussing them.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #6
Ric Lister

Profile:

New Balance 790. Feels like a regular sneaker but flat and super light. Really, really light.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Chuck Taylor's or Van Old Sckool's.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #8
Anthony Ricci

Profile:

Max -I have KSO's (VFF) for training and still run in Nike frees they are more forgiving and you can do all CF movements in them. I sprint barefooted 40 yard dashes -working up to VFF but I run on roads-not work the injuries.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #9
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Max, I don't have a ton of barefoot running experience this spring yet, but one of the things that have helped me a lot was wearing a "barefoot" style shoe to my office job for the past 7 months.

I wear this style with my khakis to work http://www.terraplana.com/dharma-p-1603.html?colour=57 (WFS), but they have many styles to suit your needs. They are a bit expensive, but as far as I can tell, they are VERY well made. Plus, you can search the web and sometimes get a coupon for them (I'm still waiting on one to buy a pair of "casual" ones . Last time I got a 25% off coupon.)

These shoes look normal, but all they have for an insole is a 3mm thick puncture resistant sole... no cushion. It feels like you're walking around the office with this big secret that you're walking barefoot.

I think that it's strengthened up my feet and gotten my normal stride slowly used to walking on my forefoot. I highly recommend it. I'll hit you up on Facebook if I ever see a coupon arise.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #10
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

The first couple recovery periods after switching over to VFF's were brutal -- especially after double unders and such. But after a few days (and stretching!), your foot gets used to it, and I haven't had a problem since (going on one month of wear with my VFFs).

I think you're thinking about it too much. Buy the shoe, use them lightly to start, get used to them, etc. Your body will adapt, and I think you'll find that your running stride will improve as you get feedback on what stride works best to avoid having the hefty soreness initially. I never looked at anything POSE related until AFTER getting my VFFs, and by the time I was used to them I was amazed at how my stride had shifted to POSE techniques naturally.