CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Alden Hingle

Profile:
Re: Best ways to butter the wife/husband up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
why would someone need to "butter up" their spouse to purchase something? that is silly. a man needing to ask his wife permission to make a purchase is hillarious.
Because working the budget as a partnership and having consensus on big purchases that only one partner wants is a lot cheaper in the long run than paying for the divorce. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
Matt Davies

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Hingle View Post
Because working the budget as a partnership and having consensus on big purchases that only one partner wants is a lot cheaper in the long run than paying for the divorce. Ask me how I know.
Yup,
it's a partnership and she owns half, one way or the other. It's not "asking for permission" it's being respectful of the other person in the partnership and having agreement that the big ticket item will be purchased. If I need a new pair of trainers, that doesn't need discussion I'm just going to go buy them, the new Rogue W-4 and all the bolt-on bits might require agreement.

If my wife came home with a couple of thou worth of shoes and handbags without talking to me, I'd be ****ed. Luckily she's not into that stuff!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I can understand the partnership aspect... but the need to "butter" them up pretty much negates that sentiment. It means that you have to coax or coerce to get their approval, which is not a rational/reasonable aspect of partnership. Why would someone want to be married to a person who needs to be convinced to allow you to spend (probably) your own money, assuming there is no financial burden created... sounds terrible to me
Old 04-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

My husband and I have three accounts: yours, mine, and ours. No consultation is needed for anything that the "mine" account can cover.

For larger purchases, it's not so much getting "permission" as making sure both people's wants are being addressed. (And let's be honest, these are "wants" not "needs" that we're talking about.) Not to mention that there have been times when the need to consult has saved both of us from regrettable impulse purchases.

As for the OP's question, well, I got a week in Hawaii for Christmas, so I'd say he's pretty much golden for the rest of the year.

Katherine
Old 04-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #15
Matt Davies

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
For larger purchases, it's not so much getting "permission" as making sure both people's wants are being addressed. (And let's be honest, these are "wants" not "needs" that we're talking about.) Not to mention that there have been times when the need to consult has saved both of us from regrettable impulse purchases.
I think the humour side of the thread may be lost on some (or not to their sense of humor.) For them, Katherine's comment here is bang on target (and well put.) For others, carry on, with humorous anecdotes.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #16
Adam Molnar

Profile:

I always say to my bride: it is much better, cheaper, healthier & shorter if I go in the garage to workout, than going to pub.......
Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
Ryan Baker

Profile:

I always ask for forgiveness instead of asking for permission...

Seems to work for us.