CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Christopher Stange

Profile:
Immunosuppressants

So I have been out of CF for 6 months now and itching to get back to it. I took a month off when my daughter was born and at the end of that 1st month had some health issues. I was put on steroids and recently have been put on a immunosuppressant. I have heard that intense workouts can weaken the immune system all ready, so I guess I'm wondering if I'm just asking for trouble doing CF on immunosuppressants? What could really happen? I want to get back to my Box sooooo bad!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:
Re: Immunosuppressants

This is likely a question best answered by your doctor or pharmacist and may vary a bit dependant on the specific drug your on and the dose.

I was on heavy doses of corticosteroids for many months a long time ago but continued to lift and practice kung-fu but it did make recovery a bit slower. I never sustained any injury so couldnt really judge the effects it had on that, but I did seem to get more frequent colds etc. These drugs have varied side effects from drug to drug and person to person. You may not notice any sides while someone else may find it impossible to work out because of sides.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Yes, it is probably not a good idea to do high intensity exercise on immunosuppressants and/or with a weak immune system.

I would not suggest CFing.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Christopher Stange

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
This is likely a question best answered by your doctor or pharmacist and may vary a bit dependant on the specific drug your on and the dose.

I was on heavy doses of corticosteroids for many months a long time ago but continued to lift and practice kung-fu but it did make recovery a bit slower. I never sustained any injury so couldnt really judge the effects it had on that, but I did seem to get more frequent colds etc. These drugs have varied side effects from drug to drug and person to person. You may not notice any sides while someone else may find it impossible to work out because of sides.
Quote:
My Doc basically told me that "I can exercise, but I wouldn't go and run any marathons". I was trying to explain CF to him, he didn't seem to get it or just didn't care.

Quote:
I would not suggest CFing.
I think I was hoping for more reckless advice to jump on board with.

ps not sure if I am quoting properly, this is my first attempt at it.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Christopher Stange

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Stange View Post
My Doc basically told me that "I can exercise, but I wouldn't go and run any marathons". I was trying to explain CF to him, he didn't seem to get it or just didn't care.

I think I was hoping for more reckless advice to jump on board with.

Quote:
not too shabby