CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
Aaron W Varcasio

Profile:
Insurance?

I want to become a full time trainer, as well as run a facility. But what about health insurance, I know about liability insurance already. Does any trainers/owners have any advice for me?

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Insurance?

You've got alot to learn if this is a question....

How about calling up an insurance company, and asking how much insurance costs for a small business?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #3
Aaron W Varcasio

Profile:

Thank you for the confidence. Now I just need some advice, if you do not have any please do not comment in that manner.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

Many local chambers of commerce offer group health insurance for small business members as part of the COC membership - check with your local chamber for more info.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Chris Bost

Profile:

I am not a trainer or owner but I do own a insurance company and since I am self employed I have to purchase my own insurance so my best advice to you would be check with your current insurance provider if they are local(car and home insurance) if you deal with an online company I would look for a independent insurance carrier in your area because we offer many different insurance plans and you can pick and choose based on your needs. Hope this helps. Just a little more advice yes health insurance is a bit expensive but mine is not much more than when I had an employer paying mine.If you have trouble email me and I may be able to look up through a network I have and help you find a agent in your area.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron W Varcasio View Post
Thank you for the confidence. Now I just need some advice, if you do not have any please do not comment in that manner.
How about calling up an insurance company, and asking how much insurance costs for a small business? = Good advice.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Pär Larsson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
How about calling up an insurance company, and asking how much insurance costs for a small business? = Good advice.
Insurance companies don't seem terribly comfortable with gyms that use free weights.

State Farm e.g., has a max-weight 80# limit...

Other thread on same subject:

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...iner+insurance

Now as far as advice goes, just cold-calling local and national companies might take some time and be a bit frustrating. If people on a CF board are or have been in the same situation it would stand to reason that they might have a few tips or pieces of wisdom other than "Hey, go call around and figure it out yourself." Given CF's decentralized model I'm willing to bet 80-90% of box operators have passed through these forums on their way to building a successful business.

If the OP had asked the same question to you at your gym, would you have told him the same thing? ...But I suppose it's the internet after all.

I'd say talk to an insurance company you're already doing business with, and also talk to any nearby or same-state box operators.

Good luck to the OP.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Troy Peterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pär Larsson View Post
Insurance companies don't seem terribly comfortable with gyms that use free weights.

State Farm e.g., has a max-weight 80# limit...
OP was referring to health insurance....db weights aren't to come in play. I'm also in insurance industry and a couple quick points:

1. Plans, pricing & overall # of companies available are going to vary by state
2. Use common sense...find an agent (maybe one you already work with for other types of insurance) you feel is trustworthy and have them help you. Just like someone would pay you a fee as a CF trainer and trust you to help them get healthier.
3. If you're fairly healthy (looking into CF affiliation so I'd guess so) and especially younger you should have no problem finding a fairly affordable plan. Don't be afraid of higher deductibles if you're a typical 20-something male and only plan on seeing the doctor if something major happens. Will keep your costs low.

Finding a health insurance plan for yourself will rank 126,544th on the list of other issues (certification, creating business plan, finding box location, becoming a good trainer, finding clients) in terms of difficult tasks for a small business owner.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Peterson View Post
3. If you're fairly healthy (looking into CF affiliation so I'd guess so) and especially younger you should have no problem finding a fairly affordable plan. Don't be afraid of higher deductibles if you're a typical 20-something male and only plan on seeing the doctor if something major happens. Will keep your costs low.
OTOH, if you're married or thinking about it, be aware that the less expensive plans for women generally DO NOT include maternity coverage of any kind, nor do they include infant coverage.

Also note that all of this is in flux right now due to the recently passed health care reform law.

Katherine
Old 06-28-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Andy Gann

Profile:

Concerning health insurance ... at the end of the day, one of three entities will get the money. The three entities are You, Your Insurance Provider, Your Medical Facility.

If you get a plan with low deductibles and low office visit costs then you will pay a higher premium (sometimes 100, 200, or 300 dollars more PER MONTH). In this case, whether you get sick or injured or not, your insurance company is getting the money. Now, if you get sick, they may split it with the hospital or end up paying the hospital more but, nevertheless, YOU DON'T GET IT.

If you get a plan with high deductibles and high office visit costs then you will save the 100, 200, or 300 dollars a month. In this case, if you don't get sick or injured, then you just made anywhere from 1200 to 3600 dollars. If you do get sick or injured then you will split that w/ the hospital or give it all to the hospital. This, IMO, is the better option. Because YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO TAKE THIS MONEY HOME!!

I would look at a plan with 90% to 100% coinsurance (how much the ins. company pays after the deductible is met), a high office visit cost and a high deductible. This way, if you don't use it - YOU KEEP THE MONEY!!!!

OTOH, if you go to the doctor alot and get injured alot, don't take my advice ....