CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-14-2004, 08:10 PM   #1
Noah Silverman

Profile:
Hi,

I'm going on vacation for a week and the hotel where I'm staying doesn't have a gym. Now that I'm a complete crossfit convert (and fanatic), the thought of a week without my WOD is scaring me.

Can anyone suggest some routines that I can do in my hotel room that will at least get me by??

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Mike Yukish

Profile:
It's not so hard. First, there are gyms everywhere, so just buy a day pass and work out that way. Second, find a school yard with bars for dipping and pullups and make yourself strong. Third, go buy a bag of sand and use it for weight training. Leave it when done...cheaper than day pass at gym. Fourth, do the long runs that week. Fifth, if tall hotel, run steps up and down. Don't forget handstand pushups in room. Many, many options. Have fun!
Old 12-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hi,

Go and check out this thread. There is lots of good ideas here:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/4822.html

Beth
Old 12-14-2004, 09:25 PM   #4
Nic Nakis

Profile:
Noah -

I hate gyms, so I did the woods/backyard/park/playground/bedroom workout for years. Now I have a pretty good setup in the basement, but I still remember the tricks:

Trees, Swing sets, Doorframes, Scaffolds - Hang from 'em, do pullups, knees to elbows, inverted hangs and situps, L pullups and holds, commando pullups, whatever you can think of.

Playgrounds - climb stuff, swing from stuff, jump on stuff, find things to do dips on. Climb the swing set supports like a rope, hang from the top bar of the swing set and climb along it hand over hand.

Picnic tables - do box jumps, decline pushups, ledge squats, bench dips, and whatever else you can think of.

Rocks/tires/newspaper boxes - lift stuff, throw stuff. you can find great toys anywhere.

Bodyweight - work on your pushups, situps, squats, lunges, and handstands. If that bores you, try some lazy dog or diamond dog pushups, some one-handers, frog pushups, do some burpees, jackknifes, squat-jumps, lunge-walking, etc, etc.

Just tap into some youthful curiosity and playfulness, find some stuff, spark some ideas, and have a good workout.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:08 AM   #5
Joshua F Hillis

Profile:
I totally second what Nic said. All of that.

I don't know where I got the idea, but a couple years ago I trained on the schedule from the Navy SEALS BUD/S Warning Order I found online. It was circuits of pushups, pullups, situps, dips and running (I subbed in Krav Maga class for the swimming). While it wasn't "constantly varied" it was high intensity and relatively functional, and I got in pretty wicked shape for the time - at least I had more strength and strenght endurance than anyone else in my Krav Maga class.

Anyhow did all the pushups, pullups, and situps down at the local park, and just ran around the neighborhood. Playgrounds are the only gym I needed.

Also, if you want to go "heavy" don't forget one legged squats - either Pistols or Airborne Lunges.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Scott Hagnas

Profile:
If you are near the woods, you can always find implements. A couple of months back, I was on a two week camping/hunting vacation. I clean and jerked rocks, did handstand pushups against a tree, pullups on a branch, and held rocks of varying weights while doing pistols.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I have found when I travel that the "Girls" are the best. Also "Tabata this" is another great one.

I think you are really only limited by your imagination on what you can use. I liked the artical by Dan John, I think it was in the latest news letter he writes, about one man doing overhead squats with a curtain rod in his hotel room.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Also as Coach Sommers talks about, you should try things in different possitions. Do dips and pushups with awkward hand possitions and put different static stress in the holds to challenge yourself. I only know very little about this but if you check the arcives you will see some of the great ideas others have.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
Noah Silverman

Profile:
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be in Tokyo, so a local park might be hard. I like the stairs idea. I envision running up the stairs and stopping to do pushups, dips, burbees, etc. every 2 flights.

-N
Old 12-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #10
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Where abouts in Tokyo will you be? I live an hour from there in Noda-shi.