CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:47 PM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
OLY type lifts (hang cleans) from NFL perspective

I noticed the following quote in an article by Ross Tucker, a former NFL lineman who writes regular articles for Sports Illustrated. He gives a persepective on weight lifting as seen through the eyes of NFL free agents. I'd be interested in hearing your observations from a CF persepctive. It seems that many pro athletes would shy away from the type of lifting we do in CF.

More specifically, there seems to be some agreement that lifts of a certain type do offer more potential benefits in terms of developing explosive power; however, they are also perceived as being more dangerous. From my perspective, since I don't need my body in perfect condition to make a living, since I wasn't endowed with insane althletic ability, and since I don't practice a sport in which serious injury is almost inevitable, I'm perfectly happy to accept a little more risk for a little more gain.

I'd be insterested to hear what you all think.,

Here's a quote from the article. The whole article is available at si.com, under the following link: (Because of bikini edition photos it may not be entirely OK for work/family viewing.)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ams/index.html

Quote (from page two):

Quote:
Different philosophies can affect free-agent decisions. With millions of dollars at stake, players look for any edge to prolong their careers. For this reason, free agents have been known to sign with the team with the less-taxing offseason program if the financial offers are similar between two clubs.

Parcells, for example, favors timed squats and hang cleans, which many players feel leads to additional wear and tear on their joints and serves to shorten their career. The emphasis of Parcells and his disciples on increasing strength and explosion may reap short-term benefits but cause long-term harm.

Other strength coaches, like the Bears' Rusty Jones, place a premium on injury prevention, thus heavily emphasizing stretching, nutrition and body composition. This often enables players to feel their best and prepares them for the pounding their body will have to endure. Any NFL player will tell you they would rather feel completely healthy than make any type of strength gains as they head into training camp. Jones' presence and reputation around the league offers the Bears a leg-up as free agents make their decisions.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: OLY type lifts (hang cleans) from NFL perspective

I'd be a bit wary of deriving any sort of value from media reports on athletes workouts.

Anyway, definitely prehab is a good idea. So is training depending on if you're healthy or not. It's not like something is set in stone.

In context to the comparisons in said quote... Parcells generally has had solid teams while the Bears have been fairly poor until recently so I mean whatever. Shrug.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Bruce Duco

Profile:

I can't speak on how the NFL does it. But, LSU's Strength and Conditioning Coach, Tommy Moffit, is a HUGE fan of OLY type lifts. Go on youtube and search "Tommy Moffit" or "LSU Tommy Moffit" to see what I'm talking about.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Justin Algera

Profile:

It probably also stems from the fact that a good deal of SC coaches dont know how to properly teach the OLY lifts as well so its probably better they dont do them anyways.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
Mike Gray

Profile:

All the things you guys say make sense (including the wise observation that the things people in the sports media say tend to be a bit less than authoritative!)

OTOH, something that also makes sense to me: If I were *already* an NFL player, and hence one of the best athletes in the world - a certified member of the %00.0001 club - ; and if I were already making 6 - or even 7 - figures a year with my body just the way it is, I think I would have a very different set of priorities than I do now.

I think I would be cautious to an extreme. Having seen - literally! - hundreds of friends and teammate (and enemies and opponents) lose their careers to injury, I would be highly aware of how easy it is to get hurt and how easy it is watch my whole career go up in smoke for any kind of injury.

Of course, I would also be aware that I absolutely must maintain my reputation for training like berserk, since there are a couple million guys standing in line to take my position. And that *would* make me willing to put in plenty of effort. But I think I would be pretty paranoid about stuff that's rumoured to maybe put your back out of whack for a month if you don't do it right.

Given those parameters, I think I'd rather do stuff on machines - heck, I might even rather stick a needle in my butt and wait for the muscles to grow. Unless I'd already been doing it for years, I don't think I'd do stuff like CF (at least not the lifts I didn't already know).

Of course, that's not me, and I'm glad its not. I'm glad I can do athletics because it's fun and makes me feel like a more complete human being. I'm glad I can feel free to take a few more risks, but only the kind that fit my standards about right and wrong (and definitely not of the kind that make my sexual organs shrivel up!)

Last edited by Mike Gray; 04-02-2008 at 08:12 AM..
Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Mike:

The problem is.. what if you're one of those guys that's only on the cusp of making the team each year. For example, special teams play and you may or may not have been a person that has a high probability of being cut.

I think you would DEFINITELY want and NEED to increase your athletic abilities. I think you overlooked this in assuming that most of them just need to maintain. There's few athletes in the NFL that need to just maintain IMO and they're mainly the guys who are already going to the probowls or who already have elite performance. Heck, IMO I don't think it really applies to any of them. You have elite guys like Jerry Rice who were KNOWN for having an extremely hard work ethic and basically out-working and out-conditioning everyone else on the team even though they were probably already the best or near the best on their team.

I don't really think most of them if at all have that luxury of aiming for just maintaining their abilities. Otherwise they get surpassed and might get cut.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Zach Davis

Profile:

Mike,

My thoughts exactly....

Also, consider the level of conditioning that these guys have achieved. In order for cleans or squats to provide real improvement or even maintenance, they will have to use pretty hefty loads. At that level, I wouldn't be willing to put my body through it.

NFL players are conditioned so close to their genetic potential that "mere mortals" are not likely to gain any useful ideas from their programs... now, what they did 15 or 20 years ago, on the road to that level of conditioning, that would be valuable information.

Zach
Old 04-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
John Devine

Profile:

Maybe I'm missing the point but it seems that the author is saying some FA's opt for teams that emphasize development of power and explosiveness despite the 'perceived' increased risk of injury while others opt for teams that emphasize what Steve so eloquently termed prehab. Doesn't CF emphasize both and say that without both, you are at higher risk of injury and are falling short of optimal performance?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Given the plethora of Louie stuff lately...I've read that he consults with both the Packers and the Patriots and they both did pretty well this year. I suspect FAs would also be interested in being on winning teams.

howard
Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Devine View Post
Maybe I'm missing the point but it seems that the author is saying some FA's opt for teams that emphasize development of power and explosiveness despite the 'perceived' increased risk of injury while others opt for teams that emphasize what Steve so eloquently termed prehab. Doesn't CF emphasize both and say that without both, you are at higher risk of injury and are falling short of optimal performance?
To expound on what you said, aren't squats and cleans a form of injury prevention?