CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Dave Bond

Profile:
Alternative to dairy

Hello,

I've been following a modification of the Zone diet for about 5 months, and have experienced great results (dropped 25lbs, down 8-9% bf, and I feel great!). However, I've been relying tremendously on dairy products like cottage cheese (I actually like it), milk (whole/raw), and cheese as part of my diet. I'm concerned that so much dairy isn't great for me and that it is probably inflammatory and excessively insulinogenic. I don't think I'm going to cut it out all together, but I'd like to significantly reduce my dairy intake. For protein sources, meat, seafood, and eggs are nice, but I have a hard time getting enough protein at breakfast and snacks without resorting to milk, cottage cheese, kefir, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Nick Hanson

Profile:
Re: Alternative to dairy

Eggs? Bacon (I know its not the best for you but I love it in the morning). Also fish, i.e. lox.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Shane Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bond View Post
For protein sources, meat, seafood, and eggs are nice, but I have a hard time getting enough protein at breakfast and snacks without resorting to milk, cottage cheese, kefir, etc. Any suggestions?
I think I single handedly keep the beef jerky industry afloat. I definitely eat that stuff way too often, but in moderation, it's a convenient protein source. Don't buy that slim jim crap though. Stick to Pemmican, and the all natural jerky they sell at Trader Joes. The sodium content is a little high (which is why I shouldn't be eating so much of it) but if you're eating a few pieces as a 1-2 block snack every once in awhile it's no big deal.

Boiled eggs at breakfast are a favorite as well. Personally, I take the yolks out and use them to make salad dressing.

Of course, there's always protein shakes.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
Joe Bernard

Profile:

It's hard to get protein at breakfast!? You cannot be serious. 1 egg alone provides 6g of protein, 4 eggs = 24g of protein. This is just the main protein source, not even taking into account the protein you would get from nuts and/or cheese you eat for your fat source. It is actually very easy to exclude dairy from your diet. If you are still having a hard time, have some slices of ham with your eggs in the morning or make a ham and cheese omelet.

For a snack, boiled eggs, smoked salmon, leftovers from dinner last night...the list is endless. Make some grilled chicken or whatever meat or fish you like in bulk at the beginning of the week and then eat them for a snack in between meals.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Dave Bond

Profile:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Keep 'em coming!!

Joe, yes, it is hard for me to find enough protein with breakfast when I exclude dairy. I eat two whole eggs everyday at breakfast, but am hesitant to step it up anymore than that due to the arachidonic acid in the yolks (and I understand that it isn't great to eat the whites without the yolks due to various nutrients involved; do a search of the board for more info on this). I shoot for a 5 block (35g of protein) breakfast. Until recently, I made up the balance of protein, after the two eggs, primarily with cottage cheese. I've started doing ham & eggs, but am keen to develop a broader menu. I appreciate the options presented in this thread...I never would have considered lox on my own; that's a great idea!