CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Benjamin Herrick

Profile:
Starting the Zone

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, second time poster. I had a few questions about the Zone. I recently purchased Enter the Zone, and I am ready to start it up once I get back to school. I am between 260 and 270 depending on the scale with lean mass at 170 lbs. I will be between 19 and 20 blocks a day and I was wondering if there was a way to really keep this cheap? I don't have a job while I am in school so my food budget is limited to $50 a week. I am living in my own place so I have my own kitchen and everything so I do a lot of my own cooking, make my own soup stocks and such. These are great to keep sodium low, but I really am not sure how to do the blocks for them. Also, I was wondering if there would be a way I could modify bread recipes to make them more Zone friendly? A few dollars worth of ingredients makes a lot more bread than it does buy enough veggies. I have read through George's Recipe Corner, great ideas, though I am still at a loss on how to block off everything based on their nutrition facts and for making a weeks worth of food in a day. So yeah, any wisdom that you can pass on down to the newbie will be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:
Re: Starting the Zone

you know who would be really great to ask? sheri from CF N. Santa Cruz. go to her blog and read some of her posts on the zone. she's a zone consultant and cf trainer at NSC.

http://www.sharikeener.blogspot.com/

you can comment on an entry and she'll respond. i've already started asking her zone questions. she's great!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

This might not be of much use to you, but typically on the Zone you don't want a whole ton of bread to be the primary source of carbs in the first place. You should really be trying to limit that.

Carbs were always the hardest for me to get enough of on the Zone. I would suggest you try to buy some cheap frozen veggies in bulk. It may seem like a lot at first, and you may kind of think "Man these will go bad before I get to use them," but it takes a lot of veggies to fill up on the Zone, as I'm sure you know.

Another option might be dairy/milk, which can be used for both your protein and carb blocks (and fat, technically, but I never counted it towards that). Some will also recommend that you don't eat a lot of dairy, but for a Zoner on a budget, milk is cheap and effective. I'd choose dairy over bread any day of the week as far as eating healthy/Zone-friendly goes.

Even still, you can't survive on milk and almonds (p/c/f) alone, so you still need to be incorporating veggies into it at some point. Just a thought.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
Benjamin Herrick

Profile:

Thanks. I actually found out about a somewhat reasonable veggie place about a half hour away from where I go to college. I go back next week which is when I will kick the Zone into full gear, so that will be the first place I hit up. The reason I was asking about the bread was because in Dr. Sears book Enter The Zone, he lists whole wheat bread as having a GI between 80-100%. Under reduced insulin secretion, he has whole grain Rye bread listed with a GI from 30-50%. Any bread intake would be limited to that type of bread only and it wouldn't be a primary source of carbs, more of a guilty pleasure (eggs in a basket is truly a weakness of mine). I just didn't know where to find anything out about it.

Sorry about the confusion.