CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #1
Xi Xia

Profile:
Open Crossfit gym next to a box gym

Hi all,

New to posting on the forum and excited by the energy and open exchange of priceless advice. I've been doing CF for 6 months, got certified in Portland, Oly cert with Coach B, and haven't been this excited about training/teaching as a career as I am now.

So it seems like once you open a gym, getting new clients to come through the door and then retaining them is fundamental. Seems like some locations are better than others.

What opening up a CrossFit gym next door to a box gym be an ideal location? You would have high traffic of people that are into fitness, a week of free classes, and ability to compare and see difference in services pretty dramatically. Not that I have found such a space. Just wondering if anyone has done this or what people thought about this idea.

Xi Xia
Old 10-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Open Crossfit gym next to a box gym

A few people have suggested this to me. They weren't really in the fitness business though. I don't think it would be that good of an idea.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
A few people have suggested this to me. They weren't really in the fitness business though. I don't think it would be that good of an idea.
I would think it would be tough to "sell" memberships at $100 or more per month when the typical Globo can sell for $30/month.

Of course, the typical CrossFit client will KNOW the difference between what you get from the Globo personal trainers and the CrossFit training... but for the vast majority they will be shocked at the price and the scarcity of familiar surroundings of a CrossFit affiliate. A person who visits the CrossFit affiliate might even tell their friends, "Can you believe this little gym next door to Globo is trying charge 4 or 5 times as much as Globo! And they don't even have a steam room or a stairmaster machine! "
Old 10-09-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

I seem to recall that there is an affiliate who has done exactly this and appears to be doing very well. Can't recall who/where it is, though.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Zach Even - Esh

Profile:

hey guys

that's me, I SHARE the parking lot with the gym next door, a bodybuilder gym with powerlifters and serious fitness people.

They pay month to month about $ 45 per month, it's the few gyms that are just barbells, dumbbells and machines.

But, I have had a handful of people stop in to my gym to see what we're doing as they're leaving or about to enter the gym next door

I have 2 guys coming tomorrow.....the one dude was gonna stop in to the gym next door to "get back in shape" - saw my gym and started tlaking about how he missed the old school days of football practice, saw our 30 minute workouts, he just liked the vibe

today, he brought his buddy with him

some people will be into it, others, will stick to bodybuilding and spending 3 x the time in the bodybuilding gym....even cops!!

My landlord - the gym owner next door, he loves me and doesn't care - he thinks I'm a breath of fresh air w/my enthusiasm and how we do things so differently.

If you find a location with a great deal, great space, go for it. I think finding the right place is tough, so if you do find a ideal facility w/little fixings needed, as I found, go for it

I was training only athletes when we opened, but all the people stopping in insisted they wanted to try it

Now, once I had about 15 people "interested" I said that's it, I gotta start CF....well, only 3 out of the 15 signed up.

So, what people say and do are very different.

I've been getting the daily drop ins from people next door, and CF is starting to pick up.

I can see the members next door wishing they were having the fun we are and slowly but surely we'll be pumping even more.

People will do what they want, I don't try to convince them.

Many of them still believe that bodybuilding for 1 1/2 hrs is better than Cf for 30 minutes.

The cops who train next door will never keep up with our LEO's who train w/us!!

--z--
Old 10-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:

Zach, best of luck. We all make choices in life!
Hope to finally meet you Sunday for Steve's workshop!
Old 10-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Even - Esh View Post
hey guys

that's me, I SHARE the parking lot with the gym next door, a bodybuilder gym with powerlifters and serious fitness people.

They pay month to month about $ 45 per month, it's the few gyms that are just barbells, dumbbells and machines.

But, I have had a handful of people stop in to my gym to see what we're doing as they're leaving or about to enter the gym next door

I have 2 guys coming tomorrow.....the one dude was gonna stop in to the gym next door to "get back in shape" - saw my gym and started tlaking about how he missed the old school days of football practice, saw our 30 minute workouts, he just liked the vibe

today, he brought his buddy with him

some people will be into it, others, will stick to bodybuilding and spending 3 x the time in the bodybuilding gym....even cops!!

My landlord - the gym owner next door, he loves me and doesn't care - he thinks I'm a breath of fresh air w/my enthusiasm and how we do things so differently.

If you find a location with a great deal, great space, go for it. I think finding the right place is tough, so if you do find a ideal facility w/little fixings needed, as I found, go for it

I was training only athletes when we opened, but all the people stopping in insisted they wanted to try it

Now, once I had about 15 people "interested" I said that's it, I gotta start CF....well, only 3 out of the 15 signed up.

So, what people say and do are very different.

I've been getting the daily drop ins from people next door, and CF is starting to pick up.

I can see the members next door wishing they were having the fun we are and slowly but surely we'll be pumping even more.

People will do what they want, I don't try to convince them.

Many of them still believe that bodybuilding for 1 1/2 hrs is better than Cf for 30 minutes.

The cops who train next door will never keep up with our LEO's who train w/us!!

--z--
That is so great!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
Brian Opdenkelder

Profile:

Hey, Xi;

Why not open a CF gym next to a 'box'?

My business partner - James Gordon - and I recently left a big box, to set up our own CF gym / martial arts (Bujinkan) dojo, in Orillia, Ontario, Canada (our affiliation app is at the feet of Coach, et al, as we speak). As fate would have it, the perfect space became available right around the time we began our search - a 2000 sq' industrial unit, with 16' ceiling, overhead door, reasonable lease, etc.

The only complication, we perceived, was the big box gym across the parking lot from our dream-unit. We pondered the pros and cons of setting up shop here, and chose to forge ahead. Our rationale:

1. Location, location, location - we're just around the corner from the Ontario Provincial Police HQ, their cadet college, and our local community college - which has a thriving 'Police Foundations' program.

2. Marketing - we will be constructing, operating and marketing our gym as an alternative to the 'Globo Gym' experience. This will be blatant and obvious. Those who enter our facility will likely be looking for what we offer. They will see, hear and feel the difference, and decide whether or not it is for them.

3. Diversified Service Base - We will be sharing the financial load among our new CF gym, our established Bujinkan Dojo, and a couple of other programs (Fitness Kickboxing & kettlebell classes, LEO Arrest & Control program, Red Cross FA / CPR training, etc.).

Bottom line (in my humble opinion): If you are committed to technical and administrative excellence, and provide people with a fun, engaging and results-oriented fitness experience, and keep your overhead reasonably low, you'll be successful wherever you set up shop - provided you can effectively communicate these qualities to your target market.

Good luck, Xi. Let us know how things go.

Cheers!

Brian
Old 10-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

You could just put up a big sign somewhere that says "When you're ready to really get in shape, give us a call", so that everyone in the globogym can see it. Heck, even put up a challenge "Free months training for anyone who can better my performance in a workout..." Make them outperform you on a 10 minute Cindy (only 10 minutes so they don't kill themselves). And make sure they go FIRST (again so they don't kill themselves once they see you pop off 12 rounds or something in 10 minutes). When they finish six rounds, and you double it, tell them "Hey, I started the same way, come on out for a month, I guarantee I can get you doing _____ if you're willing to put in the effort"
Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
You could just put up a big sign somewhere that says "When you're ready to really get in shape, give us a call"
I've basically been saying this to people. I get some interesting looks.