CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

View Poll Results: Am I crazy to even think about this?
yes 13 50.00%
no 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
Justin McCrary

Profile:
Is the fitness world trying to commericalize crossfit?

As a die hard Crossfitter I know no one in this community would ever try to water down what coach and everyone else has worked so hard to create. And I know that for those of us who are serious about fitness we will never stray from the hardcore fundamentals of the program.

That being said, I just came from my local super market where I was flipping through the so called fitness magazines and found an article on the Turkish get up. Just a few days ago on the HQ page there was a link to an up coming Muscle and Fitness spread on CrossFit. These pieces are in addition to what seems to be an increasing amount of attention given to our community by the "Mainstream" fitness media (not that this is a bad thing).

Every CrossFitter knows that not everyone is cut out to follow the CrossFit philosophy of training. Even Coach Glassman has said in a CrossFit Live episode he never intended everyone in the world to participate simply because he knows not everyone has what it takes. But that doesn't mean that the mainstream fitness publications and commercial gyms will not try to adapt a "CrossFit Style" fitness program for the masses in an attempt to create revenue. This is after all a free market economy and they can pursue profit wherever they may see potential for it.

This brings me to the point of this rant which is, what effect if any do you all think this could have on our community?

Just some thoughts I've been kicking around and want to discuss with all of you.http://board.crossfit.com/images/cno...lies/thanx.gif
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Is the fitness world trying to commericalize crossfit?

Re: Justin
Wait, does CrossFit have a patent on the Turkish Get-up? I had better stop using it in my workouts then...
Old 04-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
David Vessey

Profile:

It's great that it's getting more press time (less explaining I have to do, and people don't think I'm as crazy). However, it's not for everyone. I think most people understand that in order to get results they need to work hard - but most people also realize they can get mediocre results without working nearly as hard, and still be considered 'fit' by today's standards.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #4
Christian Gotcher

Profile:

So if Men's Fitness publishes articles on how to properly execute the kettlebell swing, the deadlift, how to make a jump box, how to box/grapple, how to Parkour or swim with good form, they're trying to commercialize these as well? Crossfit tries to base itself on functional, universally applicable movements, and it should neither be a shock to us nor even a statement on the community that the fitness media discusses the those movements. Nobody has a copyright on any of these, and everybody 'should' be talking about them, anyway. If anything, it can only help people.
M/22/155|Murph-28:19|Helen-9:39|Annie- 5:12|CFT-700|1.5 Mile-8:35|Strict PU-24|Fran-5:24 log
Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

I don't get it.

If Crossfit is not for everyone, why does the front page say it has universal scaleability and is used to train grandmothers as well as cage fighters one month out..........?

And if the movements are universal and functional, shouldn't everybody be able to do it?

Susie
Old 04-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #6
Frank DiMeo

Profile:

No matter if the articles are good or bad about CF, we seem to gain some benefit from the attention they generate.
If the other gyms try to advertise CrossFit workouts without being certified/affiliated through CF they might just get sued.
Other than that, talk is just talk.
No one owns the truth.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

Yes.

Only because I believe the system tries to draw everything into its power.
If something is different and begins gaining power through popularity the system will welcome it, assimilate it, and generalize it...

Survival through hegemonic shift...

The big chain gyms are no different. CrossFit will always remain pure for those who truly have a work ethic and seek out affiliates, but for the masses, the availability of easy listening variations will only increase. Thereby allowing the system to safely manage its majority control of the populace’s health…

Edit- Rereading your statement Justin, I'm not sure what I said has anything to do with what you said.

Last edited by Travis Hall; 04-08-2008 at 05:48 AM..
Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Rosenberg View Post
I don't get it.

If Crossfit is not for everyone, why does the front page say it has universal scaleability
It will work for everyone, but not everyone is willing to suffer through it.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:05 AM   #9
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
I don't get it.

If Crossfit is not for everyone, why does the front page say it has universal scaleability and is used to train grandmothers as well as cage fighters one month out..........?

And if the movements are universal and functional, shouldn't everybody be able to do it?

Susie
It is scalable physically. Almost anyone can phyysically perform the movements. The mental part is not very scalable because if you do not like to work there is little I or any other trainer/caoch will be able to do to change that. That has to come from within you (intrinsic reward system). So it is scalable in a sense.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

Quote:

There's a big difference between "can do it" and "will do it." Certainly almost everyone can do CrossFit at some level. But the willingness to subject yourself to a pain like CrossFit is hard to come by in the general population. CrossFit is not for everyone in the same way going to church 7 days a week is not for everyone.