CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #161
Kane Greene

Profile:
Re: Westside etc. - please read

Terry,

I'm almost positive in his book he talks about using them the day after lower days for recovery. Don't quote me for sure, I'm about 90% sure on that. If I get time I'll see if I can reference it.

Same can be applied to the day after upper body work. Things like sledgehammer strikes, battleropes, lite kettlebell snatches. Another thing mentioned in his book is to take a lift like the bench press and use 20-30 percent and do slow reps for a period of time. Usually 2-5 minutes. Helps with recovery and restoration. I suppose you could use lite squats, or the like, but for me box jumps work wonders. That and I like John Welbourn's(CrossFit Football) philosophy of everyday you should include hip extension and train a full body.

Colin,

It depends on your goals. I'm not a powerlifter so I include vertical pushing in my programming. Pressing, push presses, jerks, behind the neck push presses and jerks. Add bands chains and all the like can be included as well.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #162
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Westerman View Post
Sounds fascinating, any different from westside for athletes?
What is your take on weighted box jumps? And box jumps in general. I remember hearing something about that on westside for athletes, Louie was talking about weighted box jumps
It will be Westside for Athletes.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #163
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gibbs View Post
Chris, at a seminar 2007, Louie talked a lot about box jumps, for his guys, it was a very compressed seminar around 1 hour to an educated audience (elete throwers), and he covered many, many things very quickly, I came away thinking he would have put that into the DE lower body day..

your thoughts would be appreciated
When jumping I don't think it is limited to DE days. He will jump using varying intensity and volume just like barbell training. So he might do "lighter" jumps on DE day and "harder" jumps on ME day. I'll ask him when I talk to him in the next day or so.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #164
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Just looking for some advice to get numbers up coming, 5-6 months post pec tear surgery and lateral knee release, how to proceed (slowly) to get my DL, Squat, and Bench back up.

I've dabbled with Westside in the past, and liked it, and being in the RCAF, i'd like to get my numbers up for performance reasons as well (tests).
Old 10-19-2011, 08:36 AM   #165
Chris Mason

Profile:

How did you tear your pec?

I think first and foremost with your injuries you need to learn proper technique such that you don't incur further injuries. Louie teaches said technique, but I am not sure where I can link you to have it demonstrated... Certainly Google Laura Phelps. Her form is quite flawless.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #166
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Jumping to conclusions no? I mean right away you jump to technique.

my knee surgery was actually a birth defect, and did not come about from lifting at all, but rather running for the military (RCAF).

my pec was flat benching 285 for reps after 2yrs of not flat benching. I even have it on video. I stayed tight and did not let my shoulders come forward, elbows in, if anything I would say it was because I was severely overtrained, and needed a break big time, but just wouldn't do it, and my body was telling me all along. At the same time, i've always had messed up shoulders, I dislocated my left shoulder, and according to chiros and physiotherapists, very inflexible in the shoulder girdle/joint.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #167
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
When jumping I don't think it is limited to DE days. He will jump using varying intensity and volume just like barbell training. So he might do "lighter" jumps on DE day and "harder" jumps on ME day. I'll ask him when I talk to him in the next day or so.
Chris would be appreciated, the seminar was the National Throwers Convention in Ohio in 2006 or 2007, Louie even invited the guys down for one of the sessions.

have watched the DVDs but that session was really very, very good.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #168
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

I am in my 7th week of the conjugate/crossfit training. My squat was at 360 at the beginning. Today at the start of my 7th week I back-squatted 370!. Although its not the same huge increase as many other people have seen....10lbs in six weeks is pretty good considering I only put 25 pounds on my squat since December 2011.

Thanks for all the advice Chris.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #169
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Just looking for some advice to get numbers up coming, 5-6 months post pec tear surgery and lateral knee release, how to proceed (slowly) to get my DL, Squat, and Bench back up.

I've dabbled with Westside in the past, and liked it, and being in the RCAF, i'd like to get my numbers up for performance reasons as well (tests).
Lots of wall slides, band dislocates, scapular pushups, band retractions, and dumbbell work for a couple months. For the lower body, do single leg work and work on hip mobility. Lots of rest-pause work at a light-moderate weight to help increase flexibility and strength at the bottom position.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #170
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Jumping to conclusions no? I mean right away you jump to technique.

my knee surgery was actually a birth defect, and did not come about from lifting at all, but rather running for the military (RCAF).

my pec was flat benching 285 for reps after 2yrs of not flat benching. I even have it on video. I stayed tight and did not let my shoulders come forward, elbows in, if anything I would say it was because I was severely overtrained, and needed a break big time, but just wouldn't do it, and my body was telling me all along. At the same time, i've always had messed up shoulders, I dislocated my left shoulder, and according to chiros and physiotherapists, very inflexible in the shoulder girdle/joint.
Ok, your technique is perfect.