CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #11
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: my solution for all the Globo-Gym CrossFitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
Here's Glassman's explanation of Crossfit programming: http://journal.crossfit.com/2003/02/...-for-cross.tpl (WFS)
The key word there is "theoretical". You can refer to any past programming mainpage period and will have trouble with showing how it aligns with that template... because it doesn't.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Ok and you guys are right there are some holes in CrossFit they have been pointed out and its hard to say, "hey you globo trainer you're stealing CrossFit workouts", but by show of hands how many of you did a metcon over the last 3 days whereas before you probably didnt train this way on a regular before CrossFit or did sprints and lets say high rep deadlifts?
Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
Bryan Hood

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Ok and you guys are right there are some holes in CrossFit they have been pointed out and its hard to say, "hey you globo trainer you're stealing CrossFit workouts", but by show of hands how many of you did a metcon over the last 3 days whereas before you probably didnt train this way on a regular before CrossFit or did sprints and lets say high rep deadlifts?
My point exactly. I'm 36 and have never seen anyone doing high rep Oly lifts, combining rope climbs with sled drags or any other blend before CrossFit. In the Army we'd do "O" courses which combined all this stuff but no one ever really thought to make a regular workout of it. The rise of CF brought all this to the main stream in the past few years. When I first started CF, in '06, only those in the SOF community, climbing, etc, even knew it existed. The regular gym going folks had no clue. When I'd go to the Y people would stare and wonder what the hell I was doing. Some would even ask.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
Matt Thomas

Profile:

That's fine. And CF should and does(at least from me) get credit for "popularizing" a lot of good training concepts. But just because you had never heard of that kind of thing being done before or a ton of people weren't doing it does not mean that it didn't exist. It did. Same with o lifting. CF has done a lot to introduce that to the masses. That doesn't mean they invented it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

I feel as though the issue of programming depends more on the person doing the programming. I.E. Crossfit programming doesn't suck, hq's programming FOR crossfit may not be very good, but someone like Matt Chan's programming for crossfit is terrific.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Dijulio View Post
I feel as though the issue of programming depends more on the person doing the programming. I.E. Crossfit programming doesn't suck, hq's programming FOR crossfit may not be very good, but someone like Matt Chan's programming for crossfit is terrific.
I think programming depends on who the programming is for, and what their goals are. Which is why I think mainsite gets a lot of flack. They are programming for a huge group of people whose only clear goal is better GPP. I still want to know why Bryan feels the OP has bad programming. Call it whatever you want, from what I see he is promoting GPP in a specific environment.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #17
Steve Bray

Profile:

im personal trainer in a globo and i dont have any problems doing high intensity freeweight/bodyweight circuits. although my globo just got some bumpers a 8 meter long pullup bar and kettlebells... good times good times.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 09-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose M. Perez View Post
Here's Glassman's explanation of Crossfit programming: http://journal.crossfit.com/2003/02/...-for-cross.tpl (WFS)
To the best of my knowledge Glassman is no longer doing the programming.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #19
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
I don't get it. Honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, but it looks like to me that you're another NON-affiliate "globo gym" who's trying to get in on the CrossFit advantage. Anyone can do CF, anywhere, any time without being a CF affiliate. I get that. But I've seen more and more personal trainers, Boot Camps and "mirrors and machines" joints trying to do "High Intensity Training". Most of those folks just take CF workouts they find on the web and have their clients do them. They don't understand how the CF programming works, methodology or philosophy of CF. I could be completely wrong here but that's just my take when I go to your website.
Yeah because lord knows no globo gym could ever master crossfit training methodology the way the CF boxes do after one weekend of training.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
Majority maybe?

For the record, I do some workouts in a globo and there are ways to make some work. Some are just not going to happen. Barbell complexes are a great choice for anyone stuck in the globo.
I've been a CFer since 2009. I've never set foot in a box. I've also never not done my WOD because it was too hard to do in a globo.

I think all the hype about how difficult it is to do CF in a globo is bs. If you dedicate some thought and effort to it instead of throwing your hands up, you can do CF most anywhere. Keep in mind I followed CF in some of the worst gym-going environments possible (other countries with little equipment, limited hours, strange customs, etc.). It really ain't that hard. Sure, you have to sub things but I've never omitted a workout because it was too difficult to plan it out in the globo.