CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #631
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Conjugate CF article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fabsik View Post
Look forward to meeting you in person.

Should I rest these days before hand or train lightly to keep me limber?
You will have the chance to train a lot before, during, and after the seminar on both days (well, not before on Friday). I would rest .
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #632
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

Chris,
When planning for a meet, how much should I cut back on the ME the week of? I was planning on deloading and maybe going up to my openers at the highest. Also I would most likely cut the metcons out all the way. Does that sound alright?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #633
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Baumgartner View Post
Chris,
When planning for a meet, how much should I cut back on the ME the week of? I was planning on deloading and maybe going up to my openers at the highest. Also I would most likely cut the metcons out all the way. Does that sound alright?
I wouldn't do much of anything the week of. Do a search and read about Westside circa-max training.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #634
Laura LeClair

Profile:

Hi,
I have been reading this thread for the last few days, noting notes down on my printed copy of Chris Mason's article. I'm pretty new to crossfit, but not to fitness and resistance training in general. I'm not a male, so was wondering if this program/routine is gender biased for men? I have a well equipped home gym, lacking only a prowler sled and chains, so I can perform almost all the exercises.
That being said, I'm 46 years old, weigh 133 lbs and am 5'4. I need to use bands to do full pull ups and can pump out 12 or so strict push ups. I really want to get strong so I can focus on completing WODS as rx'd. So, I want to do a few WODS at my box, mixed in with strength work at home.
Chris, do you think your program would be alright for my goals? I know my numbers look nothing like the other guys' here! LOL! I press 85 for 2 reps! Any advice is appreciated.
Laura
Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #635
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura LeClair View Post
Hi,
I have been reading this thread for the last few days, noting notes down on my printed copy of Chris Mason's article. I'm pretty new to crossfit, but not to fitness and resistance training in general. I'm not a male, so was wondering if this program/routine is gender biased for men? I have a well equipped home gym, lacking only a prowler sled and chains, so I can perform almost all the exercises.
That being said, I'm 46 years old, weigh 133 lbs and am 5'4. I need to use bands to do full pull ups and can pump out 12 or so strict push ups. I really want to get strong so I can focus on completing WODS as rx'd. So, I want to do a few WODS at my box, mixed in with strength work at home.
Chris, do you think your program would be alright for my goals? I know my numbers look nothing like the other guys' here! LOL! I press 85 for 2 reps! Any advice is appreciated.
Laura
This will work with anyone. I followed the three example workouts that Chris Mason wrote in the article for about 2 months. I don't have the sleds either, so I did other assistance exercises. I follow a CrossFit site who normally does 2 ME days per week, so instead of doing them, I just replaced them with the Conjugate ME Upper and Lower.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #636
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura LeClair View Post
Hi,
Laura
If you are familiar with most of the core lifts, then I think a Conjugate program would be a great place to build strength. If you really want to be able to WODs as RX'd you'll also need to set some time aside to practice the movements you are not proficient in, so make sure you balance your total training volume.

If you don't have a lot of experience with barbell exercises, you might want to do a basic Linear Progression program first to get proficiency in the core moves before you do conjugate which uses a lot exercises. Then maybe after 3-6 months switch over to the Conjugate Program.

Overall, it can definitely be used for all levels, and like any other program just make sure you scale it appropriately.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #637
Ryan Dell Whitley

Profile:

How is this any different than the MEBB that was put forward by Coach Rut?
Old 08-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #638
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
Take a look at Coach Rut's blog, http://www.bootcampfitnesskc.com/cat...ort-black-box/, (W/F/S). He does use the Conjugate Method on ME, but he doesn't use the assistance exercises at all, and rather goes straight into a met-con, which is very important to the Westside Conjugate System and to Mason's Conjugate Crossfit.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #639
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Dell Whitley View Post
I'm in no way familiar with Coach Rut, but I took a glance at his web page. It seems to share some similar concepts to the Westside Method. Keep in mind the creator of the Westside method has been doing this style (making changes as necessary) for at least 20 years.

From a Westside perspective, I think by just doing a ME exercise and then a metcon, you'll be neglecting certain aspects of strength. The ME Exercises will build absolute strength, the metcons will build strengh endurance but then you could be missing out on dynamic/speed strength. Also, by not doing any assistance work, it might be difficult to build your lifts beyond their weaknesses. You might be able to program your metcons to address your weaknesses to some extent, but if you are doing metcons in a higher rep category, you might not get the stimulus needed that assistance work may do.

Coach Rut, might have been ahead of the game as one of the first to start using Westside principles with a CF style model (I have no Idea), but it seems like a lot of boxes are trying it now. The question is how do you balance the overall volume between ME, DE, assistance work and metcons. Also throw in there some endurance work and skills work for the all round crossfitter and it might be challenging at first.

Personally, I'm more focused on strenght and general conditioing, so I don't worry about long endurance activities.

There have been a couple of blended styles:
1.) Do a full Westside program--2 ME days, 2 DEs and then do 2-3 metcons a week.

2.) Do the ME and DE exercises then some limited assistance work 6-10 sets and then do 2-4 metcons a week

3.) Do only ME, some limited assistance work and more metcons/skill work

Some good websites to check out are:
www.crossfit-strength.com (WFS)
www.liftstrongrunfast.com (WFS)
and Crossfit Fairbanks at www.crossfitfairbanks.com just began a program too.

CF and Westside have a lot of principles in common
--vary the exercises
--work different energy systems and forms of strength
--focus on the big exercises
--work on your weaknesses

The big differences I see between them:
--using more traditional bodybuilding exercises in Westside to fix weaknesses
--work hard but don't kick the crap out of yourself at every workout in Westside vs. going to the limit on all your metcons
Louie reminded us at the PL seminar what Dr. Romanov said about vomitting and training--that it's the body rejecting training and that means you've gone beyond training stimulus
--relaiance on the metcon to make the metcon better, whereas Westside feels if you build your lifts, metcons will be easier--If I can powerclean 400lbs, do 225 powercleans for reps will be much easier than trying to build my 3 rep powerclean up to 10 reps.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #640
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

After taking a look at the MEBB and seeing it's, coincidentally, pretty much the evolution of my own programming as well, I have a silly question: all things being equal, why would one need to do assistance exercises after one has used them to balance out their weaknesses? Shouldn't the lifts themselves develop the correct balance of musculature if things aren't out of whack already? I can still appreciate ME alone not providing enough volume, but I've seen/used things as simple as 5-3-2-1-1-1-1 + 5x3 @ 85% being a simple way to get extra volume in. I strongly believe physical training shouldn't be a mess of exercises, reps, and percentages, so if the simple thing works, particularly for CFers i.e. non-1000 lb squatters, why not?