CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #71
Kane Greene

Profile:
Re: Try this Strength + CrossFit Programming... Starting on August 5th

90% or greater. If it's right at 90% I would count it as a work set.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #72
James Orr

Profile:

Thanks, guys.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #73
Andy Gann

Profile:

Ok - so today's WOD. I'm going to do L2.

Does 9 x 3 = 9 sets of 3 at 60% 1RM ... you say focus on bar speed does that mean a steady tempo or that you should do it as fast as you can?

For the max height box jump, i really don't have the equipment to do it, could I do 5 x 2 tuck jumps or ???
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #74
Kane Greene

Profile:

Andy,

You should be trying to apply as much force as possible, moving the weight as fast as possible. There is 60seconds rest between sets.

Tuck jumps might be hard for max height. I could see it being easier to focus on pulling your knees up vs. jumping as high as you possibly can. I think I would maybe do them by a wall and jump and slap the wall. That way you know how high you are jumping and can monitor improvements.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #75
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Kane--how long do most of your workouts take including warmup, then strength and then the conditioning WOD?

If you do the DE Stuff right, it can move pretty fast, but if you are hitting 4-7 90% singles on ME day, that can be 20-30 minutes depending on how much rest you take between sets?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #76
Kane Greene

Profile:

Robert,

If you're doing the whole thing, including warm up and taking 5-10 minutes to stretch afterwards you'd be looking at between 45-90 minutes. It really just depends on what the plan is for the day.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #77
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Kane--that's pretty good to get through a warm-up, thorough strength workout, assistance work and then a metcon followed by stretching.

How much time do you take between ME sets?
How much time do you take between assistance work sets?

Part of the reason I'm asking about timing, is that when my brother works out with me we are a little time limited due to his work schedule. We try to do a basic strength program--usually a conjugate version meaning a max effort lift followed by some assistance work then a WOD. The warmup and strength work usually takes 40 minutes and since we only have equipment for one a metcon might take 20-40 minutes total for both of us.

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #78
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Andy,

You should be trying to apply as much force as possible, moving the weight as fast as possible. There is 60seconds rest between sets.

Tuck jumps might be hard for max height. I could see it being easier to focus on pulling your knees up vs. jumping as high as you possibly can. I think I would maybe do them by a wall and jump and slap the wall. That way you know how high you are jumping and can monitor improvements.
Do you do the strength work first or after the metcon?
Old 08-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #79
Kane Greene

Profile:

Robert,

Depends on what the ME exercise is. Usually between 2-5 minutes. Closer to 2 minutes on upper days and closer to 5 on lower days. It just really depends on how I feel during the working sets.

Assistance work I go 1-2 minutes between sets.

I think the big thing is to cut out all ****ing around when you are training. No chit chat, no scratching your ball sack, no excessive trips to the water fountain. Just shut the **** up and do work. The only conversation should be training related or encouragement during working sets. Other than that, save it for the ride home.

Andy--

Strength before WOD unless otherwise specified.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #80
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

Kane-

I have been checking your site everyday this week as I am looking for a new program to start come september when I move into my house before school starts, and I will have a lot of time to train. I have incorporated conjugate/westide principles before and I didn't make much progress, probably because I didn't know how to program. Anyways I noticed this week there were not a lot of assistance exercises in the form that both louie and chris mason prescribe, is there a reason that you do not include them as much? or should i expect there to be more in the future?

Ross