CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #61
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: Try this Strength + CrossFit Programming... Starting on August 5th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Glickman View Post
Did you skip over how Kane's thread was started....if you dont well let me rehash it..

"I've always been intrigued by WestSide barbell and their methods used for Strength Training. I read everything I could find online by Louie, read his book, and checked out the journal articles about WestSide + CrossFit.

As an affiliate owner I spend a lot of time researching anything I can find on ways to improve programming for my clients. I always test things out on myself before attempting to make others do it. I decided to play around with some of the WestSide ideas mixed with CrossFit."

Uhm Interesting because that is exactly what Lift Strong Run Fast is....You can only learn so much from reading articles or books. LSRF is the real deal and exactly what Kane was referring to, when you get personally invited by Louie Simmons to come train up at Westside and learn...then you can fully understand how the training and the conjugate system works. So did I "hijack" his thread, absolutely not...Im trying to give people the best regime for "Westside ideas mixed with Crossfit"
Dylan, it is pretty clear that Mr. Greene came here to see if guys are interested in trying out his programming, which is a mixture of Westside and CrossFit. You pointed out that LiftStrongRunFat is currently doing that, which is great that you pointed out a site that is already doing that, so it can be done with great success. But when you started posting the YouTube video, you are now starting to hijack the thread. So be a gentleman and respect Mr. Greene's request and stop hijacking his thread.

And for the record, I've tried some of the LiftStrongRunFast's workouts and they are really good, so I'm eagerly waiting to see how Mr. Greene's programming compares.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:47 PM   #62
Kane Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I suppose I'm in ... I'll try anything for 9 weeks (well .. not ANYTHING!! LOL) but, I'm not going to compromise on certain movements that offer me no benefit other than injury (kipping, high rep oly, box jumps). If you program these then I'll sub DB or KB movements for the oly and probably DUs or tuck jumps for box jumps ... I'm not real sure what I'll do for kipping pull ups but, for me - over the last 3 years - it's those three things that have derailed my training due to injury.

That being said ... let's hit it.... I've got one more week to get a max pull up and a max snatch. I haven't trained OLY much so my skill is holding me back on the OLY for a single but, I'm hoping that a change in environment for 9 weeks will shake things up a bit in my training.

Andy,

You're in luck then. I don't really program kipping pull ups. I got sick of having hand tears every week and they really are a lot less useful than strict pull ups. Every now and again we will do kipping pull ups, but for the most part all strict. Wednesday WODs are usually more conditioning based and sometimes will have kipping pull ups--but that should be your off day.

High Rep OLY Stuff-- Not really. Sometimes we'll have power cleans or power snatches but heavier than mainsite and usually no more than 3 reps per round. We focus on resetting between and not just flailing about during o lifts. I know what you are talking about. Outside of Wedneday's I don't think you'll ever see a 95lb anything for 50 reps a round posted EVER.

Box jumps we will be doing usually twice a week. Not for reps but for height. Not in a METCON setting. I would say since they are not for time focus on what you are doing and build your confidence with a "Comfortable Max".

Robert--

Everyone keeps log books. I'll try to make an appropriate list of before's and after's to list besides 1RMs.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #63
Kane Greene

Profile:

Something to add...

On Max Effort days I will post the workout usually like this:

Squat
1 RM

So in this example you will work up to a 1 RM squat, BUT you need to have a certain number of sets above 90%. Here are my recommendations for various lifts

Back Squat - 3-4 sets above 90%
Bench - 3-4 sets above 90%
Deadlift- 3-4 sets above 90%
Front Squat 5-7 sets above 90%
Overhead Squat 5-7 sets above 90%
Overhead Press 5-7 sets above 90%
Clean 7 Sets above 90% (we do all heavy o lifts as singles)
Snatch 7 Sets above 90%
Jerk 7 sets above 90%

You can use those as guidelines. Remember 1 RM = certain number of sets above 90%. One or more of those needs to be at 100% or 100+%
Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #64
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Something to add...

Squat
1 RM

So in this example you will work up to a 1 RM squat, BUT you need to have a certain number of sets above 90%. Here are my recommendations for various lifts

Snatch 7 Sets above 90%
Jerk 7 sets above 90%

You can use those as guidelines. Remember 1 RM = certain number of sets above 90%. One or more of those needs to be at 100% or 100+%
Are the sets > 90% singles? Like - my squat 1rm is 425 so do I do a total of 4 or 5 singles all over 380 with one of them at or above 425?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #65
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Greene View Post
Something to add...

Squat
1 RM

Snatch 7 Sets above 90%
Jerk 7 sets above 90%

What's the logic behind more singles for the oly lifts? Are you just borrowing from the Oly community?

My understanding of ME day is to get over 90% and then hit a record. So typically warm-up to 90%, then based on how that felt hit 95-100%, then based on that hit 100-105%. Once you get a new max end the day unless it was way easy. So the process I described would be decent for 3-5 singles. How would you do it for 6-7 singles without spending so much energy that you miss the higher percentage lifts?
Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #66
Kane Greene

Profile:

Andy--

Yes, exactly. Some of the movements you may have never maxed out on, so you will be finding out what your 100% is the first time through. Just make sure you don't hit it and have no other sets above 90%

Robert,

It's actually not MORE lifts for the Oly Lifts, it's less for the power lifts. I'm using Prilepin's Table: Number of Reps for Percentage Training.

The optimal number of reps for Oly Lifts above 90% is 7. Louie recommends lowering it to 3-5 instead of 7 over 90% because the special exercises for powerlifting are much heavier than the Olympic Lifts that Peilepin's data were based on.

I've never had any problems hitting 7 singles above 90% on Oly lifts, usually I feel stronger on reps 5, 6, and 7 than I do on 1, 2, and 3. I definitely prefer heavy singles vs. 2-5 reps in a set because I can lift heavier weight each set, and my technique stays more solid. It will all depend on how you are feeling that day. I always let my body be my guide. Some days you may need to take it easier and some days go harder. I think that's the nature of strength training.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #67
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

Kane,
For those without direct coaching or less experience, could you list a guideline maybe with sample weights or percentages as to how to do a ME day from your perspective. Just trying to figure out a guideline for hitting 7 singles and trying to set a record. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #68
Kane Greene

Profile:

Ok so let's use the last day I maxed on the squat. Here is what it would look like after my general warm up.

10 x just bar
10 x 135
5 x 225
3 x 315
1 x 350
1 x 360
1 x 385 --- pr
1 x 400 -- pr
1 x 405 -- F
1 x 360

My working sets were 360, 385, 400, and 360.

Here is an example of.power cleans after general warm up and time spent working through specific warm up with bar

5 x 95
5 x 135
5 x 155
5 x 185
1 x 205
1 x 215
1 x 225

1 x235
1 x 235
1 x 245
1 x 250
1 x 255 Pr
1 x 260-- F
1 x 245
1x 245

My working sets started at 235. I set a new pr and then nailed a few more over 90% afterwards. I always feel stronger on the o lifts on the last few.

Does that help?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #69
James Orr

Profile:

Thanks, Kane. I'm looking forward to testing this out and really appreciate your guidance.

So if I'm rounding, a powerlifting day probably looks like this, and an olympic day just has more reps above 90%?

Warmup
10 x bar
10 x 35%
5 x 60%
3 x 80%
1 x 90%

Working Sets
1 x 93-95%
1 x 100%
1 x 1.03%
1 x 93%
Old 08-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #70
Ross Dijulio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Orr View Post
Thanks, Kane. I'm looking forward to testing this out and really appreciate your guidance.

So if I'm rounding, a powerlifting day probably looks like this, and an olympic day just has more reps above 90%?

Warmup
10 x bar
10 x 35%
5 x 60%
3 x 80%
1 x 90%

Working Sets
1 x 93-95%
1 x 100%
1 x 1.03%
1 x 93%

He stated the goal was to get around 3-4 reps of whatever lift (powerlifting) at 90%+. So the numbers he posted above, 360 is 90% of 400 so he got in 4 at 90% or above