CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #81
Joey Powell

Profile:
Re: Do people actually get denied for Affiliation?

Coach is a level Certification.

Sorry if that hurts some feelings or challenges integrity, but words mean things.

Again I don't care how he signs his name or what his trainee's call him.

On the CrossFit Aspire Website under "trainers" he is listed as a "CrossFit Certified Coach" which is not accurate.

It is am award not, in fact given. You are not a SEAL becuase you made it through BUD/S.

If I have enough balls to admit to my clients that I am an "Old School" CrossFit Level 2 Trainer, then I don't see how thus far, any defense given is acceptable.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #82
Skip Chase

Profile:

I rarely have time to spend on the message board. I come to read and learn. I've been reading this thread on occasion and I must 'weigh-in'.

I am 'old school'. I earned the title 'coach' in 1972 when I began coaching football. I've coached football, baseball and soccer.

Society gives us titles. Some are given and some are earned.
The military gives us titles. They are all earned.

We earn titles via education. BA, BS, PhD, OT, PA, PT, etc. The title is earned.

As a trainer, we earn titles and initials. CPT, CFT, CSCS, NASM-OPT, etc.

CrossFit offers 'CrossFit Trainer Certifications'. (Level 1, 2, 3) According to the information on the website, CrossFit currently offers a Level 1 and Level 2 certification. You must EARN Level 1 prior to attending Level 2. I do not see any Level 3 certifications at this time.

There is an earned designation as a 'CrossFit Certified Coach'. The website states,
"CrossFit's top honor is awarded to individuals whose efforts have significantly expanded the CrossFit community, advanced the CrossFit methodology, and developed standout athletes."

Our members call me Skip and Coach. As a CrossFit certified trainer and affiliate owner I believe I have helped to 'expand the CrossFit community and methodology' through this message board, phone calls and emails. I have 'developed standout athletes' at the local high school, college and national level to include an ultra-distance runner who is ranked in the top 10 nationally.

Have I earned the right to use the title 'CrossFit Certified Coach'?
No! It is clear that the title is AWARDED.

Knowing this, I would hope any CrossFit Certified Trainer who advertises he/she is a CrossFit Certified Coach would recognize the 'misunderstanding' and change the advertised title.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:02 AM   #83
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:

This will be the last time I weigh in since this thread has seemed to gravitate towards me even though I have tried to let it die...

I am CrossFit Certified and I am a Coach earned and awarded by the folks who I think that Coach would agree upon are the most important which are my members...

Also no where on the web site does it state that the title Coach is awarded...this was "old school" as all have put it and no longer states it on the website...there is a level 1 and level 2 cert and that is all...

If Coach the founder of this movement would like me to remove or change my title than I look forward to talking with him...other than that it is simple semantics i.e. I am CrossFit Certifed and a Coach hence CrossFit Certified Coach...

If the website said something different than I would be presenting myself incorrectly but it is not listed anywhere and what you are quoting does not exist any more and my new members have no intrest in the disagreements of old schoolers since they (my members) have no reference...all they see is the community bickering over something rather that moving forward in what really counts which is training on the ground...

Also, please see my early post...CrossFit has grown beyond what anyone could have imagined and at any given cert there are close to 60 to 100 people earning level 1 certs...when the pool was small Coach probably had more time to "award" the title Coach but as he states the market will thin the herd...

When I met and had lunch with Coach he impressed upon me that our clients are the most important people in our lives even more important and I know this will bother some..even him...if my clients award me Coach than so be it I believe that Coach Glassman's point is made...other than that I am not changing my title..

First because it does not false represent me in anyway when it comes to CrossFit HQ our governing body so to speak and before you fire back actually go and review the website and look and please correct me if I am wrong. Also when I created my website there was no misrepresentation intended ever!!! If you don't believe me I cannot change your views because you do not know me or the man I am...make your own judgements...

Second I think that this whole discussion revolves around the concept that CrossFit is evolving good and bad in some eyes and that what was...is not anymore and some have a hard time realizing this...in my case if you believe that I am watering down CrossFit or what it stands for then you are welcome to come workout in my gym or spend some time with me and then form your opinion...other than that have a great day...

Skip I respect you greatly and many of your ideas have made our gym better. Thank you for weighing in and I look forward to seeing you at the affiliate gathering.

CCT Joey, I do not know you but it seems that we both love CrossFit...I hear your points and see where you are coming from but respectfully disagree with you. Let us get back to the point of spreading the message rather than bickering...if that is not what you want and want to continue to argue the point in this forum then I for one am done...I have said all I can say and you have said your piece in this case...neither of us agrees with each other and that brother in this wonderful country is entirely okay. Have a great day and may CrossFit Chaos grow and be an example of what we try to represent everyday.

Please for sake of everyone let this die and get back to training.

Tobias Neal, CrossFit Certified Trainer...Instructor...Coach whatever makes it good...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #84
Erik Traeger

Profile:

I can't believe all this about the term/title "coach". If someone actually coaches a person during the workout (coaches their technique) and not just leads them through a workout, then I feel that the term/title coach is warranted.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #85
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:

So now, what happens if my daughter starts calling my husband "Coach"?!

JK. So, I read every page of this thread and am totally impressed with the well-thought posts. I was interested in this thread because a group of us has an application in for an affiliation. No word from the "big boss" yet so I don't know if our affiliation has gone through or not. I'm just being a worry wart over it and hope everything goes through ok. How long does it take anyway?

Have a great day, ya'll. Hope we'll soon be posting about our affiliation!!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #86
Neil Khant

Profile:

Sakura:

My approval seemed to come quickly. There may be many reasons for delay. Number of applications at the same time of yours, how they run through an application, who need to look at that application.

I wouldn't worry too much. If you maintain the right mindset to help others change their lives. It will come across to HQ and I believe that is what they are looking for.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 PM   #87
Sakura Barrientos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Khant View Post
Sakura:

My approval seemed to come quickly. There may be many reasons for delay. Number of applications at the same time of yours, how they run through an application, who need to look at that application.

I wouldn't worry too much. If you maintain the right mindset to help others change their lives. It will come across to HQ and I believe that is what they are looking for.

Good luck to you.
Thanks, Neil. Sorry for the late response. Yes, it is my belief that CF changes lives. If I didn't have to rely on an income, I'd invite people to a park with a whole bunch of gear and do sessions. Unfortunately that won't work.

I love CF and all that it has done for me. I'm hoping that my progress as a new trainer will grow. I'm a little hesitant but everyone starts somewhere. I love to teach and I love watching people achieve what they never thought possible.

I'm super excited!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 PM   #88
Nick Maisonet

Profile:

Joey,

I agree 1000%!

People can call you coach but if you are going to promote on your site that you are a "CrossFit Certified Coach" that is a different story. When I was looking for an affiliate I looked at the trainers certifications before I chose one. To find out exactly what these certification stood for I had to check the Main site for clarification. If I saw that you were a "Certified CrossFit Coach" I would be led to believe that you have earned it. Just the same as if you are a level 1 trainer as compared to a 2. I know people that have failed the level 2 certification because they were not there. I also know that Level 1 Certifications do not make you a good trainer.

What it really comes down to, in my opinion, is that Joey is concerned with the fact that when people look at your site they see "CrossFit Certified Coach" when in reality you are really only a level 1 or 2. I am not doubting that you are a great coach and trainer. I am also not questioning your love and dedication to CrossFit but, you should make sure that you are representing yourself honestly in relation to your level of CrossFit Certification. Believe it or not, it means a lot.

Thanks for reading my .05 cents.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #89
Neil Khant

Profile:

This Post should be renamed to "Can you call yourself a Crossfit Certified Coach"!

You all have Stole what should have been a good discussion of what is important to becoming an Affiliate.

I am not saying you do not have the right to have this discussion, just that this was not your post.

That's my $.02 !
Old 10-30-2008, 11:21 AM   #90
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:

Neil,

Yes, this thread has definitely morphed. I want to resurrect the question that emerged, "what are some potential factors that could result in a denial?" In reading all nine pages (aren't we CF'ers a passionate bunch?) I saw that I wasn't the only one intrigued by the question.

I want to follow the morphed path for a minute. I see people referred to as "Coach" (Mike Burgener, Mark Rippetoe, Roger Harrell, Greg Everett, and others). This feels right, as these folks are experts who have contributed enormously to the CF community to the point of becoming pillars. But I do not find a specific description of it being an official title, with corresponding criteria for earning it. I do understand Joey's desire to remember and honor the protocol, even if it is no longer actively used. But while I do think etiquette would be served by refraining from its use on the Board or other CF-related site, and with no resulting loss of honor or respect for oneself or one's own affiliate members, I think there is a distinction between contradicting accepted etiquette and officially misrepresenting oneself. Until someone can navigate me to where the "Coach" title is officially described, I do not consider Tobias' signature to be an official violation.

A few comments were made that question how any undergarments managed to wrinkle. Consider that being in on the inception of CF, a phenomenon so outstanding in its quality and scope, would tend to make one fiercely protective of it. I have only been doing CF since 2005, and have had nothing whatsoever to do with its evolution, and yet I have to constantly watch that I don't get fanatic about it when I talk to people. Both men are passionate about CF and how they continually seek to improve their ability to enrich people's lives, which is what I mainly look for in an affiliate/CF trainer. So, they both have my respect and, hopefully, they can agree to disagree. I consider both to be valuable assets to CF.

I have to also add that, without going into details, based on our family's experience, I know that CFHQ is not in this for the money. They are truly in this to see the community benefit and thrive. There was a brief mention of greed, which I saw was later clarified. Anyway, I hope no one ever loses sight of how much true generosity we receive on a daily basis.